Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this correct?

• 08-03-2005 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I rang Eircom today in the hope of ordering a new line.
    After waiting the customary ten minutes on hold listening to their wonderful music, I finally got speaking to one of their reps.

When I informed her I wanted my existing line replaced with a new one citing broadband as the reason. She gave me the usual spiel saying a new line won't guarantee broadband and it costs €130 ect ect.
    Anyhow, I pressed ahead I said I wanted one regardless.

She then hit me with 'unfortunately Eircom will only replace an existing line if there is a serious fault present but you can order a 2nd line if you wish. Is there a fault on your line?

As I've never heard of this before I didn't bother disputing and hung up. Does anyone know if this is true?

The 2nd line option is a no no so it looks like I'm out of luck unless my line accidently gets damaged beyond repair. :p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I saw a post on here before stating something along the lines of " there is and intermitant fault/noise on the line " , then keep pestering and eventually they will put up a new line .

Don't know how true it is , but worth a shot I suppose .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Go out and start pulling cables up and cutting wires and ring them back and say there is a serious fault with your line...

I've had a friend not be able to get broadband into his house and he ordered a second line and he got it on that. Don't know what he did with the original line!

Rgds,

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Paul007 wrote:

As I've never heard of this before I didn't bother disputing and hung up. Does anyone know if this is true?

The 2nd line option is a no no so it looks like I'm out of luck unless my line accidently gets damaged beyond repair. :p

Yeah, it's true. Some lines can't take the signal because of the quality of the copper or distance from the exchange. Installing a new one would still not garnantee (sp?) a suitable line for BB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why can't you just get the 2nd line installed, then when that's in cancel the old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

kasintahan wrote:
    Yeah, it's true. Some lines can't take the signal because of the quality of the copper or distance from the exchange. Installing a new one would still not garnantee (sp?) a suitable line for BB.

Yeah, I'm aware of that kasintahan.
    I was referring to the fact that you can't change your existing line for a new one without a fault present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

jor el wrote:
    Why can't you just get the 2nd line installed, then when that's in cancel the old one?

I'll probably have to eventually.

It's just that I have UTV Talk and IOL No limits tied to my current phone number not to mention a Smart Telecom BB application.

Having dealt with different ISP's in the past, changing over now could be a bit of an annoyance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

Paul007 wrote:
    I rang Eircom today in the hope of ordering a new line.
    After waiting the customary ten minutes on hold listening to their wonderful music, I finally got speaking to one of their reps.

When I informed her I wanted my existing line replaced with a new one citing broadband as the reason. She gave me the usual spiel saying a new line won't guarantee broadband and it costs €130 ect ect.
    Anyhow, I pressed ahead I said I wanted one regardless.

She then hit me with 'unfortunately Eircom will only replace an existing line if there is a serious fault present but you can order a 2nd line if you wish. Is there a fault on your line?

go out onto you road, find eircom junction box, open it & rip your phone line out & cut up the cable THEN call them back, Wait the usual 10 minutes then tell them you need a new line because the existing one is faulty.. They are a joke & have the most ignorant cust. support I have heard of . Roll on LLU
    PS pay no attention to thier Number test which says results are always final, Mine showed fail for 2 months untill I INSISTED they retest it! Has anyone ever wondered why Eircom will not tell you wwhat the criteria is for a line to pass thier tests??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

And since you've ripped out your phoneline from the junction box, ring eircom on your mobile :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Paul007 wrote:
    Yeah, I'm aware of that kasintahan.
    I was referring to the fact that you can't change your existing line for a new one without a fault present.

Because they do class the unsuitability for BB as a fault.

Once it does voice and some data (2400 baud, might be 1.4kbit now) then it's a functioning line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭K1

And since you've ripped out your phoneline from the junction box, ring eircom on your mobile :p
    of course sparky,, Sorry I forgot to mention that LOL

• Advertisement
Advertisement