Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spell Check - Feasible?

Options
  • 08-03-2005 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Just a thought - would it be possible to integrate a spell check in Boards.
    Not getting at anyone over spelling, just a general enquiry.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

There used to be something in UBB, might have been a javascript thing I think. There may have been some suggestions for additions before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

there is firefox/mozilla extention called spellbound which you can use to check spelling.
    is that any use? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RuggieBear wrote:
    there is firefox/mozilla extention called spellbound which you can use to check spelling.
    is that any use? :)
    That's what I was going to suggest too. :)

IIRC, the main problems were that spellcheckers now were paid-for (not something boards should have to do since you're writing the post on a inflated word processor), and also that adding a spellchecker adds more load to the server.

If you can find a solution Nukem, I'm sure they'd be happy to consider it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Why not type the post in Word or some other Word Processor first, spellcheck, then copy/paste into boardsie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

seansouth wrote:
    Why not type the post in Word or some other Word Processor first, spellcheck, then copy/paste into boardsie

Cause i have timerolleyes.gif. Have the Fiefox spellbound at home but in college i have that beautiful IE and it drives me nuts. Was just a query tongue.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Text message language to real language converter would be a better tool for boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

I am MAN wrote:
    Text message language to real language converter would be a better tool for boards!
    a txtspk autoban tool would be a much better tool for boards IMHO ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Nukem wrote:
    Spell Check - Feasible?

yep, according to www.dictionary.com, you got it spot on!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep, according to www.dictionary.com, you got it spot on!
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Nukem wrote:
    Just a thought - would it be possible to integrate a spell check in Boards.
    Not getting at anyone over spelling, just a general enquiry.
    Best suggestion I've seen posted on boards.ie in months.

I second this, assuming that it is "feasible"!!!

I'm always editing my posts cos of incorrect spelling and grammer.

As for text message typing, I think it should be banned from here, this is the internet not your god damn mobile phone, it drives me nuts.

• Advertisement

memphis wrote:
    Best suggestion I've seen posted on boards.ie in months.

I second this, assuming that it is "feasible"!!!

I'm always editing my posts cos of incorrect spelling and grammer.

As for text message typing, I think it should be banned from here, this is the internet not your god damn mobile phone, it drives me nuts.

but i make phone calls from my pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

seansouth wrote:
    Just a little word of warning about doing that. Sometimes ms word and similar editors put a ‘tag’ (code that can force the text black) in the text your writing and if you’re also using the full WYSIWYG editor the same tags are put into your post. The problem is if someone is using the ‘Cloud’ template for example the text may not appear as it's now the same as colour the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nukem wrote:
    Cause i have timerolleyes.gif. Have the Fiefox spellbound at home but in college i have that beautiful IE and it drives me nuts. Was just a query tongue.gif
    If you're using IE just download the google bar. Whenever you're not sure about a spelling cut the word, paste it into the google bar, press enter and if its the wrong spelling it will say "did you mean: ...". Takes 5 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd love the idea of this. Not for myself so much as to show some of our less articulate posters the errors of their ways. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

But pointing out peoples spelling mistakes is the only way I can win an argument when I've run out of logical reasoning... oh won't someone please think of the pedants! :(

SantaHoe wrote:
    But pointing out peoples spelling mistakes is the only way I can win an argument when I've run out of logical reasoning... oh won't someone please think of the pedants! :(

shouldnt that be people's spelling mistakes.
    it is possesive after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

shouldnt that be people's spelling mistakes.
    it is possesive after all.
    Pot wrote:
    Hey kettle, you're quite black tbh.
    :rolleyes:
    No, it was meant in the plural of itself... but that's just me, and I'm a bit strange.

1. Missing upper-case S on "shouldnt" (start of a new sentence).
    2. Also it should be "Shouldn't".
    3. Missing upper-case I in "it" (start of a new sentence).
    4. Missing an S in possessive.

Join in everyone, it's fun!

oh dont worry, im not worried about my lack of capitals or punctuations :)

or een my typos these days.

i blame it all on my dodgey keyboard.
    i think the space bar is out to get me actually. all i did was spill coffe on it, and not it wont play with me

now, its now!
    not not. stupid keyboard!

even!

or even my typos!

its just been one of those peculiar days....

• Advertisement
Advertisement