Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IRA Statement - IRA offer to shoot man's killers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

God, they're great aren't they! <extreame sarcasm>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

What an unbelievable cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If anyone is going shoot them its the state damnit! :rolleyes:

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Representatives of Oglaigh na hEireann met with Bridgeen Hagans, the partner of Robert McCartney and with his sisters before our statement of 25 February was issued.

The meeting lasted five and a half hours. During this time the IRA representatives gave the McCartney family a detailed account of our
    investigation.

Our investigation found that after the initial melee in Magennis's bar, a crowd spilled out onto the street and Robert McCartney, Brendan Devine and two other men were pursued into Market Street.

Four men were involved in the attacks in Market Street on the evening of 30 January. A fifth person was at the scene. He took no part in the attacks and was responsible for moving to safety one of the two people accompanying Robert McCartney and Brendan Devine.

One man was responsible for providing the knife that was used in the stabbing of Robert McCartney and Brendan Devine in Market Street. He got the knife from the kitchen of Magennis's Bar.

Another man stabbed Robert McCartney and Brendan Devine.

A third man kicked and beat Robert McCartney after he had been stabbed in Market Street.

A fourth man hit a friend of Robert McCartney and Brendan Devine across the face with a steel bar in Market Street.

The man who provided the knife also retrieved it from the scene and destroyed it. The same man also took the CCTV tape from the bar, after threatening a member of staff and later destroyed it. He also burned clothes after the attack.

Reports in the media have alleged that up to 12 IRA Volunteers were involved in the events in Market Street. Our investigation found that this is not so. Of the four people directly involved in the attacks in Market Street, two were IRA Volunteers. The other two were not.

The IRA knows the identity of all these men.

The build-up to the attack and stabbings was also outlined to the family and subsequently set out publicly in the IRA's statement of 25 February.

The IRA representatives detailed the outcome of the internal disciplinary proceedings thus far and stated in clear terms that the IRA was prepared to shoot the people directly involved in the killing of Robert McCartney.

The McCartney family raised their concerns with the IRA representatives.

These included: Firstly, the family made it clear that they did not want physical action taken against those involved. They stated that they wanted those individuals to give a full account of their actions in court.

Secondly, they raised concerns about the intimidation of witnesses.

The IRA's position on this was set out in unambiguous and categoric terms on February 15 and February 25. Before and after this meeting with the family, the IRA gave direct assurances on their safety to three named individuals who the family believe were the targets of intimidation.

Since we met the family, at that time, the good offices of an independent third party have been employed to reinforce these assurances with two of the three men. To this point the third party has not been able to contact the other man.

We have urged any witnesses who can assist in any way to come forward. That remains our position. The only interest the IRA has in this case is to see truth and justice achieved.

Since we issued our statement on February 25 there has been much political and media comment on what we had to say. Predictably our opponents and enemies who have their own agendas have used this brutal killing to attack republicans and to advance their own narrow political interests. The public will make their own judgment on this.

We sought and held a second meeting with the McCartney family in the presence of an independent observer.

In the course of this we reiterated our position in respect of witnesses, including our view that all witnesses should come forward. We also revisited details of the incident.

We disclosed the following to the family:

The conclusions of the IRA's investigations are based on voluntary admissions by those involved.

The names of those involved in the attacks and stabbings of Robert McCartney, Brendan Devine and the assault on another man in Market Street were given to the family.

This included the names of the two men responsible for providing the knife, using the knife, destroying the knife, destroying the CCTV tape and burning clothes.

In addition we informed the family that: We have ordered anyone who was present on the night to go forward and to give a full and honest account of their actions. That includes those who have already been subject to the IRA's internal disciplinary proceedings.

We are continuing to press all of those involved in the events around the killings of Robert McCartney to come forward. The IRA is setting out all of the above at length because it is important that those issues of truth and justice are successfully resolved.

We are doing our best to work with the family and to respect their wishes."

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

So it's okay for the IRA to shoot republicans but not the security forces...

Makes sense to me. I see no hypocrisy in this stance whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

The public will make their own judgment on this.

You know, they might have a point there.

Are you sure this was an IRA statement? It seems to be missing the ubiquitous 'the ultimate responsibility lies with the British Government'
    which is part of its boilerplate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

swiss wrote:
    So it's okay for the IRA to shoot republicans but not the security forces...

Makes sense to me. I see no hypocrisy in this stance whatsoever.
    Who said it was ok???

I would like to say that I would condemn any acts of violence by the IRA towards the men involved. However I am awake to the reality of the situation and I realise without the threat of violence to the men involved they would never come forward to accept responsibility for their actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

I eagerly await Mary-Lou McDonald's next human rights diatribe where she issues comdemnation of the use of the Death Penalty.

ReefBreak wrote:
    I eagerly await Mary-Lou McDonald's next human rights diatribe where she issues comdemnation of the use of the Death Penalty.
    The last time I looked Mary-Lou was a Sinn Fein member not a member of the IRA, BTW I've read that statement and I didn't see any mention of anyone been killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

If the men involved in this murder dont come forward and admit their guilt and continue to threaten witnesses exactly what is it that the people who are posting here want the IRA to do about it ,this has never been fully explained to me.

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:
    Who said it was ok???
    Well, its clear from what they say that its ok for them to be their own judge and jury independent of the state,the implication in fact is that it was their preference.

As regards the security forces,it does say in the green book does n't it that they are not to engage the forces of the 26 counties.
    But they do and have done as you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Earthman wrote:
    As regards the security forces,it does say in the green book does n't it that they are not to engage the forces of the 26 counties.
    But they do and have done as you know.

This is all very interesting but can we please keep on topic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

ReefBreak wrote:

Mary-Lou McDonald is not a member of the IRA.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

ReefBreak wrote:

they said shoot not kill

people have been posting on here asking why the IRA have not shot them
    now they have their answer because the family don't want them too

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

irish1 wrote:
    Who said it was ok???

Apparently the IRA did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If Mary Lou-McDonald was a member of the IRA well then yes her stance would be hypocritical but considering she is not a member her stance is not hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Yet again proof of the sick mentality that infects the IRA.....yet people will still vote Sinn Fein.....strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I can't see any evidence of a sick mentality, these murderers were IRA members who bound themselves to the Army's rules. They then brought the Army into disrepute as well as attemting to cover their murderous actions, they made their bed and they can lie in it, as far as I'm concerned shooting them is more than they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Ba_barbaraAnne

If the IRA know who the murderers are, why don't they give the information directly to the authorities and let them track them down?

Offering to deal with the offenders themselves is sick. That kind of thuggish behaviour has no place in a democratic society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

also the IRA's williness to cut these men off, when public opinion turns againist them (the IRA shield the men at first, and were forced to this statement)

It kind of lends credience to the claim the IRA allowed the 7 extra hunger strikers die, and they seem to be willing to kill their own for good PR.

The IRA can't put a foot right at the moment. And considering the continued existance of punishment shootings jokes about shots in the foot, should be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

well the irish government are stabbing the irish people in the back and you people cant see this.i agree with some of the messages here.when they join the ira they agree to the rules and the rules where broken just like every other army.i doubt it very much that you people would argue as easily over the THOUSANDS of people killed by the british army over the years or by the loyalist paramilatries aswell!!the people in the republic of ireland have their freedom(to a certain extent)and dont care about their friends in the north of ireland and let them fight their own battles!!we need you all to help get ireland back its freedom!!
    and somebody said earlier that they wonder why people still vote sinn fein!!!do you ever wonder why people vote fianna fail??a corrupt party run by one of the stupidest men in the country!!this is a man who cant talk properly running our country along with a fat woman who talks crap and i osmetimes wonder whether she is a woman!!!i know im gonna be eate for this message on here so i wont be replying to anything after this (unless i feel like it!but its unlikely!)

Thank you
    Slán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

If the IRA know who the murderers are, why don't they give the information directly to the authorities and let them track them down?

Offering to deal with the offenders themselves is sick. That kind of thuggish behaviour has no place in a democratic society.

yes i can see that

local IRA leader enters PSNI station

"i'm here on behalf of the IRA i have informati........."7 years later emerges from prison sentence for admitting membership of an illegal organisation

no matter what the IRA does people are going to complain if they don't offer to shoot them
    it would be why not one rule for them one rule for someone else etc
    if they do it is barbaric

flynnser19 wrote:
    well the irish government are stabbing the irish people in the back and you people cant see this.i agree with some of the messages here.when they join the ira they agree to the rules and the rules where broken just like every other army.i doubt it very much that you people would argue as easily over the THOUSANDS of people killed by the british army over the years or by the loyalist paramilatries aswell!!the people in the republic of ireland have their freedom(to a certain extent)and dont care about their friends in the north of ireland and let them fight their own battles!!we need you all to help get ireland back its freedom!!
    and somebody said earlier that they wonder why people still vote sinn fein!!!do you ever wonder why people vote fianna fail??a corrupt party run by one of the stupidest men in the country!!this is a man who cant talk properly running our country along with a fat woman who talks crap and i osmetimes wonder whether she is a woman!!!i know im gonna be eate for this message on here so i wont be replying to anything after this (unless i feel like it!but its unlikely!)

Thank you
    Slán

Erm, riiiight. A very funny post, but not for the reasons flynnser19 would like it to be.
    "this is a man who cant talk properly running our country along with a fat woman who talks crap and i osmetimes wonder whether she is a woman!!!i"
    You should probably re-read your post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

mycroft wrote:
    also the IRA's williness to cut these men off, when public opinion turns againist them (the IRA shield the men at first, and were forced to this statement)

It kind of lends credience to the claim the IRA allowed the 7 extra hunger strikers die, and they seem to be willing to kill their own for good PR.

The IRA can't put a foot right at the moment. And considering the continued existance of punishment shootings jokes about shots in the foot, should be avoided

this statement is not aimed at you it is aimed at IRA supporters and the broad republican/nationalist community who are wondereing what the IRA are doing about the situation

most republicans would be fairly pleased with the statement in regards that it seems the IRA have investigated what happened expelled the people involved who no doubt would have been shot by now but for the wishes of the mccartney family

the IRA has passed on the information that they have collected to the mcccartney family they have assured the witnesses that they offer no threat to them and they have odered the people involved to account for their actions

FTA69 wrote:
    If Mary Lou-McDonald was a member of the IRA well then yes her stance would be hypocritical but considering she is not a member her stance is not hypocritical.
    She is a member of a party with real & definite links to a group of terrorist vermin (the IRA). And you (and Irish1) know full well that Sinn Féin has real and definite links with the 'RA, so don't waste everyone's time denying it.

So Mary-Lou-With-Respect McDonald has real and definite links to people who believe that murdering someone without trial is a form of justice. As I've said plenty of times before: Shame on anyone in Ireland that votes for Sinn Féin - they don't deserve to call themselves Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭mycroft

shltter wrote:
    this statement is not aimed at you it is aimed at IRA supporters and the broad republican/nationalist community who are wondereing what the IRA are doing about the situation

most republicans would be fairly pleased with the statement in regards that it seems the IRA have investigated what happened expelled the people involved who no doubt would have been shot by now but for the wishes of the mccartney family

the IRA has passed on the information that they have collected to the mcccartney family they have assured the witnesses that they offer no threat to them and they have odered the people involved to account for their actions

Then why not only release it as pamplet and post it to all SF members in the south. Or handbills. It was released to the media, therefore I get to comment.

And as for the Mc Carthy family. I think the fact that they were offered vengence and rejected it for an attempt at justice is to be lauded.

ReefBreak wrote:
    As I've said plenty of times before: Shame on anyone in Ireland that votes for Sinn Féin - they don't deserve to call themselves Irish.
    Sorry Mods But I've had enough of reefbreaks sh*t.

F**k You ReefBreak who are you to say I don't deserve to call myself Irish, I have lived in this nation all my life and I am very proud of my culture, I have never broken a law in my life and pay my taxes to this state every week, god damn it I spent the whole day today in Carlow Circuit Court on Jury Duty.

I'm as Irish as you get, and thankfully because of the brave Irish men who fought for our independence I live in a democracy and I can vote for whoever I like.

Sorry again Mods but I'm not going to take this crap anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mycroft wrote:

Really? I don't see juch credence, care to explain it too me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,194 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

ReefBreak wrote:
    As I've said plenty of times before: Shame on anyone in Ireland that votes for Sinn Féin - they don't deserve to call themselves Irish.

Your type of 'shame' is nothing to be ashamed of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement