Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Laptop sound problems! Help!

• 08-03-2005 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭

K, its rag week here in Maynooth, so Im gonna make this quick so I can get back to the fun and frolics!
    I'm in my friends flat where we were listening to music on her laptop. The speakers aren't great so I brought over my woofer and a couple of speakers. Sound was fine. Then I plugged the speakers into my laptop. Again the sound was grand. She played a song on hers and the sound from her speakers was crap. It was distorted and low, no matter how high we put the volume. All volumes are now at full. We restarted the pc and then the sound was still low, but not distorted. There are loudish crackles every few seconds. Plugging in the speakers results in perfect sound.
    I've tried troubleshooting but nothings working. We're stumped. Anyone got any ideas?
    The sound card is a ''Sigma tel C Major Audio'' card. Laptop's a Dell Inspiron 5150. It's running XP home.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It was distorted and low, no matter how high we put the volume. All volumes are now at full.

hmmm, a sub + speakers on full blast on a lappy soundcard with lappy vol up full?

not a good idea tbqh. damage something.

so the sound is fine from speakers but the lappys own speakers dont work great? sounds damaged to me tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

Yes, but these speakers aren't that loud. They have about 50watts including the sub. They're designed for computer use. Plus I've been using them on my own laptop consistently since Christmas and I've had no problems. It can't b the sound card coz the sounds fine through the speaker set, but I dont see how the built in speakers could have gotten damaged. It can't have been a short through the speaker lead either coz I would expect the output socket to be damaged if that were the case. I dunno. It's weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It does sound like the internal speakers have fried on you. Does the crackling happen when your doing other things like playing games on that laptop as well?
    Just asking but when did this start and does the laptop have audio enhancing software installed?

Advertisement