Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery Fevers

Options
  • 08-03-2005 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

Do babies just get high fevers for no specific reason? I'm at home with my 19 mth old today, the paracetamol brings it down for a while, but it goes back up after a few hours. He got it yesterday at about 4.30.

The VHI nurseline and the pharmacist said to give it today and take him to the doctor tomorrow if it persists. It might be teething because he started dribbling madly about an hour ago.

Trying to be calm but can't help worrying. He hasn't been at his ears and doesn't seem to have a sore throat. He's been very clingy and a little cranky. I've just been cuddling him and trying to keep him cool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yeah its kinda normal , but best to be cautious just in case.

If kid gets a sore throat in next few days, its same i had which in turn kids have and is now back to me,

Lots of new weird bugs going around invloving fever, projectile vomiting and explosive diarheoa. I suggest keeping a diary(with pics) and billing kids in the future for medical help provided now.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I'll keep an eye on his throat so. There are loads of bugs going about at the mo alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

I know both of my guys ran mad fevers when teething and were very cranky and one couldn't eat for a week when one of his back teeth came through.

just keep going as you are and if you're worried go to the doc. Hope it gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

our son (just under 2) constantly gets colds and any time he gets anything worse (throat or ear infection) his temperature shoots up - it seems to be just the way kids are. And its impossible to get him to relax and recuperate - even when he has a temperature of 40+ he's still a live wire and wants to run around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A tempeture strip is a good idea nd ofter a lot easier for taking a cranky kids temp, they can be used to monitor the tempeture so that if it spikes you can
    take measures. I also found that the cool strips for bringing down a temp were great while you are waiting for the calpol or whatever to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

there's many childhood infections that cause a really high fever. it's best to get it checked out to be on the safe side. how high is the child's temperature if you don't mind me asking.

Advertisement