Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Legends for Tsunami Game.

• 08-03-2005 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

From bbc

A team of Liverpool legends will play a tsunami fundraiser against a celebrity side at Anfield.

Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Alan Hansen, John Barnes and Ian Rush are just a few of the names to have been confirmed for the match.

Roy Evans will take charge of the Liverpool team, while Harry Redknapp will manage the celebrities, who include Bryan McFadden and Kasabian.

The match takes place on 27 March 2005 and tickets are on sale now.

In addition to the match, there are numerous activities planned for the day and the organisers are hopeful of a large turn out.

Liverpool (confirmed so far): Kevin Keegan, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Hansen, John Barnes, Robbie Fowler, Steve McManaman, Jason McAteer, David Johnson, Ian Rush, John Aldridge, Phil Thompson, Neil Ruddock, Bruce Grobbelaar.

Celebrities (confirmed so far): Bryan McFadden, Nicky Byrne, (Westlife), Kasabian, Shane Ritchie, Ralph Little, Harvey (So Solid Crew), John Regis, Niall Quinn.

http://www.tsunami-socceraid.co.uk/

Fantastic team so far, mind you some seriously creaking limbs too!

Wonder if its on the telly.

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    Wonder if its on the telly.

SPORT: Tsunami Soccer Aid
    Channel: Sky One
    Date: Sunday 27th March 2005
    Time: 16:30 to 19:30 (starting in 18 days)
    Duration: 3 hours.
    (To be confirmed)

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=90431
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

eirebhoy wrote:
    Duration: 3 hours.

Dem bones! :D

Exellent I'll pull up a chair and some munchies...

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

they should stick those liverpool players in for the blackburn match, cant do any worse then the team now can they?!

Bumpity bump. 15.30 hrs Sky One.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Deadly, cheers for the reminder.

• Advertisement

Half-time

Legends 4 - 1 Celebs

Ian Rush struck a goal which was enough to convince me we should sign him up. He looks quite useful!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Watching some of those Liverpool players out there today reminded me why I got into football in the first place. It also reminded me why my enthusiasm for the game is currently about 1/10 of what it used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It was quite an enjoyable match.
    I loved how Ian Rush could still open up a defense with just one touch, unreal player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

That Ian Rush goal in the first half was quality.
    What was the final score? Didn't bother watching the second half.
    Jan Molby may have put on a load of weight but he is still very good with his feet and a great passer of the ball.

Robbie Fowler showed why he should'nt be back! ;)

Jan Molby was my MOTM he may be as wide as a barrel but his vision and touch are still first class. Ralph Little was top man for the Celebs.

Final score 6-2

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Great to see Johnson score, but to see Daglish's passion still there... fantastic stuff...

Great entertainment and some good football.... really enjoyed it....

Some great comic moments too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Agreed a most enjoyable game. It was fantastic to see the touch and passing of the Old Timers on display again . Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

It was great to see some of the real Liverpool legends again. I wouldn't exactly call Paul Dalglish a legend though! As for Robbie Fowler - he looked like he hadn't played in ten years! Shocking.

Oh yeah, since when is Niall Quinn a celebrity ?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Oh yeah, since when is Niall Quinn a celebrity ?!!

Since he stabbed Keano in the back

it's a joke Ok.

Robbie was just like any decent player in that atmosphere, ****e because he wasn't under any pressure. Its the same with all top quality players, if they drop to a ****ter level they aren't much better because they get too much time on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why was Mc Ateer there?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

macca organised the game AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

macca organised the game AFAIK

Thats no excuse for him to be pretending to be a footballer though :D

Legend? pull the other one, but fair play to him for oganising it.
    The competition winner bloke had a good touch, he obviously plays a bit.

Why no Jamie Redknapp, I was dissapointed with that, otherwise a most enjoyable. Think ill go dig out my 87/88 season round up video.

McAteer has a lot more of a right to be there than Paul bloody Daglish. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Really enjoyed it so I did. Great to see a near full capacity crowd as well in for it and the good cause it was for. Watching rush knock in his goal brought back good memories :)

Was amazing to see King Kenny coming on and the kop behind him. Brought a tear to my eye!

Big Jan neevr looked in better shape wonder if he and Rushie, and Aldo are doing anything next week.

• Advertisement

Seriously, Ian Rush would be a nice player to have on Liverpools books with their current striker problems, he nearly played that whole game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

As for Robbie Fowler - he looked like he hadn't played in ten years! Shocking.
    It's such a shame too. You can still see the flashes of brilliance that he displays. The problem is that he's unfit and often not too bothered about preforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Big Jan neevr looked in better shape

Haha, too right.

Best bit was the last kick of the match, where Westerveld had about a fortnight to come out for the ball but let Alfie take the shot anyway. Needless to say he missed, but was funny/nice to see anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

It's such a shame too. You can still see the flashes of brilliance that he displays. The problem is that he's unfit and often not too bothered about preforming.

Who can blame him? I read at the weekend that he is worth £29 Million. He probably see's a Premiership game as a kick around with his mates at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who can blame him? I read at the weekend that he is worth £29 Million. He probably see's a Premiership game as a kick around with his mates at this stage.

Are you sure there wasnt a decimal point in between that? theres no way anyone would pay anywhere near that for him. As much as I dislike Wayne Rooney and think he was overpriced I dont think Fowler is worth the same as him at this stage.

@ eirbhoy: Paul Dalglish must have been given a very late call up. He wasnt on the squad list before the program and he didnt even have a name or number on his shirt. I'd say what happened was that keegan pulled out and macca was injured (think there was another 1 r 2 dropouts aswell) so Kenny though "****, who can I ring at this stage, pauls probably doing nothing and he used to play for Liverpool, hell be ok"

Stekelly wrote:
    Are you sure there wasnt a decimal point in between that? theres no way anyone would pay anywhere near that for him.

Nah thats his personal wealth! He's been a very canny investor in property.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

from the bits i saw i thought Paul Dalglish played well. linked up well with his old man in places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Robbies display, friendly or not, proves why I wouldn't want him back. He's a slow as a snail and lacks the killer instinct he used to have. I'd have Rush back in a flash. His goal was well taken, albeit against a poor defence.
    Molby, Barnes & Hansen were great to watch. Still comfortable on the ball.
    I was also praising Westerveld and thinking he might be still a better keeper than Dudek, even though he was a prat, until he was like a statue for the goal he was chipped on and it all came flooding back.

Ronnie Whelan still has it too. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement