Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NetMeeting Remote Access?

• 08-03-2005 9:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was helping someone fix their pc a while ago, we were on to a tech support line, and the guy was able to fix the computer remotely via NetMeeting. Start>Run>conf - set up Net meeting, I typed in his IP address, called him and then he was able to take over my pc, very simple. I was trying to do this for someone else but I wasn't able to make it work. I'm on Eircom broadband so the IP chnges every time I connect, however if I go to www.whatismyip.com the address is different to that if I use ipconfig ??? Can anyone give me a brief rundown or point me to a tutorial on how this works?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Never heard of doing remote control thru NetMeeting but read here for more. It seems that you can share a desktop session. My fave for remote control like this is LogMeIn.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Cheers Father, that looks excellent I'll give it a go. I want to find the simplest was of being able to remotely take over a persons PC so I can help them fix problems. Usualyl these poeple are pretty pc illerate so the more basic the better. Anyone else got any suggetions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

ipconfig will give you the address that your computer has been assaigned behind the Eircom router/gateway/modem/whatever the correct term is. The website gives you the IP address that Eircom have assaigned the box, which is the IP that the web server sends the data to. Use that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Like I suggested above, LogMeIn is fast and free and I use it for exactly that purpose (helping people out).

Advertisement