Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MS Outlook Recovery

• 08-03-2005 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

have a machine from a customer who had 98 on it, emails contained within. He then tried to UPG to 2k, got a BSOD during the upgrade and then decided to try to upgrade to XP Pro!

anyway, I need to get his mails back and this one is a mystery. Having used all sorts of programs that I use for data recovery, the only .pst file I can find is an older one from 2004. Possibly the most recent one has been written over, but even then the filename would be visible just with a corrupt file.

so my question is......is there more to MS outlook that just the .pst file? I dug up all the dbx's and again old irrelevant files.

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Well in 2000 onwards the Outlook Messages are kept in cryptic folders by default in C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

In Windows 98 I think its in Program Files\Application Data\Identities. You'll find them somewhere in a folder like that anyways. Go Find Files and Folders and search for *.dbx

Once you have these, all you have to do is open Outlook, Go Tools-> options. Maintenance Tab and Press Store Folder button and point to that folder where the dbx files in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

yea, the store directory is somthing im well versed with.

basically ive used getdataback FAT (coola program) to list all the .pst files it finds and none of them are recent. Strange thing is that even if the drive was formatted (whic it wasnt), it would still dig them up from the old FS structure but may not be able to recover them as they have been written over.

Very confused!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Outlook holds emails contacts etc. only in PST's, - one point of failure
    setting are all over the place REG / .FAV etc.

Outlook data stamps the PST file and won't open it if read only so looks like the 2004 one isn't the one they want.

one cop out is that if the old email file got deleted or damaged then the Windows reinstall could have overwritten the pst.

Outlook 97 -2002 use the same PST format so the inbox recovery tool shoul work but only if you have a pst you can't open.

Outlook Express is a different kettle of fish - i don't want to know where it keeps it's files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

one cop out is that if the old email file got deleted or damaged then the Windows reinstall could have overwritten the pst.

yup, thats what im thinking, but im still amazed that r-studio, getdataback and easyrecovery havent found even references to it.

at this stage deletion I think is the only conclusion. Best get on google and loof for other data recovery software.

Advertisement