Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Over Mains

Options
  • 09-03-2005 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I think I have seen before a device that allows you to extend your phone line through the internal electricity wiring in your house; can this be done? Anyone know where I could get one of these? Would the work for ADSL?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

I think this is similar but it would not work for ADSL

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=34889&TabID=1&source=1&doy=25m2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Any method of extending a phone line other than plain wire will be oriented towards voice. ADSL uses frequencies far above those of voice and these won't be relayed using technologies like the above.

Better to access the ADSL whereever it works and then share it out using a router. There are devices that do this over the mains in the house. These don't share the voice line but share the data after it has been extracted from the ADSL connection (e.g. here.)

Devices like these have been criticised for being 'leaky' with regard to electromagnetic radiation.

You should also consider using a standard wireless router which should do much the same job and may be cheaper.

Advertisement