Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sharing a network cable for phone and ethernet

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

Im going to run a cat5 cable into another room in the house this week to share the broadband and want to stick a phone socket in at the same time. Am i right to believe that the 2 wires on either side of the cat5 can be used for this if i stick a rj11 on each side ?!?

As far as i know the 4 centre ones are the only ones used for ethernet so does it matter which other 2 i use for the phone ?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Should work, just a matter of making sure you have the correct pairs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Ethernet uses pairs 1 and 2. As you look at the RJ45 you should see (left to right) wo, o, wg, b, wb, g, wbr, br, where:
    o = orange, b = blue, g = green, br = brown, then wo, wb, wg, wbr are the white wires paired with the respective colours ("respectable" cables have the white wires striped with the pair colour).
    Pair 1 is o+wo, pair 2 is g+wg, pair 3 is b+wb, and pair 4 is br+wbr.

You can use blue/whiteblue or brown/whitebrown for the phone. If you have DSL, don't forget to send the filtered phone signal through here, otherwise you might have different kind of trouble.

Good luck,
    JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ! dwarfchucka

I did the same as you're planning a while back and found the easiest thing to do was to buy two grid plates , two phone sockets and two j45 sockets.(all available in B & Q!!) - and no, i don't work there :D
    While you're stringing one cable, it's just as easy to run another beside it. It works well, looks neat and you can plug phones in and out to your hearts content afterwards. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

as JP said you can use the Blue pair (or brown pair) for phone or ISDN
    can be noisy and generally isn't done - usually you use a cable for two ethernet connections OR up to four voice connections 1=Blue 2=Brown , 3=orange 4=green - not a standard but that's the order I'd do it in.

also gigabit uses all four pairs so you will be stuck with 10/100

IMHO better off running a second cable in case you need it later

Anyone know whether it's best to connect the phone's green wire to the colour/white and red to the white/colour or visa versa ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Anyone know whether it's best to connect the phone's green wire to the colour/white and red to the white/colour or visa versa ?
    Apart from the colour, the white and coloured wires are identical. Hence, it makes no difference how you connect the phone pair. However, it would be better if you used a twisted pair (i.e. brown/whitebrown) as opposed to using separate wires (i.e. brown/blue), because the twisting helps reduce field generation, thus reducing the amount of EM field around your house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This is what I was looking for - Red to Colour/White and green to white/colour
    http://www.la-cable.com/telephone_technical.htm
    For a RJ-11 connector:
    Pin # COLOR CODE OLD STYLE COLOR
    3 Blue/White Red
    4 White/Blue Green

For an RJ-45 connector:
    Pin # COLOR CODE OLD STYLE COLOR
    4 Blue/White Red
    5 White/Blue Green

NOTE: This is an RJ-45 wall plate (front view), T568B.T568b.jpg
    Pin #1 is the one on the left when you hold the tab down with the wire facing you, as you would plug it in.

Advertisement