Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Note apparently found in coffin of Rachel O'Reilly

• 09-03-2005 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Gardaí have declined to confirm or deny reports that a note was found inside the coffin of murdered Dublin woman Rachel O'Reilly yesterday.

Mrs O'Reilly's body was exhumed at Balgriffin cemetery in Co Dublin yesterday morning as part of the on-going investigation into her murder last October.

Reports in one newspaper this morning claimed a note was found in an envelope inside the dead woman's coffin and was currently being examined by garda experts.

However, a tabloid newspaper claimed yesterday's exhumation was carried out to take DNA samples

Mrs O'Reilly, a 30-year-old mother-of-two, was beaten to death with a blunt instrument at her home near the village of Naul in Co Dublin on October 4.

Despite several arrests, nobody has ever been charged in connection with the killing.

source: IOL

According to radio reports I have heard the note may assist Gardai in identifying the killer. Sounds a bit mysterious and could be a hoax but it had to have been some one close to the family in order to place the the note in the coffin methinks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Buck_Naked wrote:
    Gardaí have declined to confirm or deny reports that a note was found inside the coffin of murdered Dublin woman Rachel O'Reilly yesterday.

Mrs O'Reilly's body was exhumed at Balgriffin cemetery in Co Dublin yesterday morning as part of the on-going investigation into her murder last October.

Reports in one newspaper this morning claimed a note was found in an envelope inside the dead woman's coffin and was currently being examined by garda experts.

However, a tabloid newspaper claimed yesterday's exhumation was carried out to take DNA samples

Mrs O'Reilly, a 30-year-old mother-of-two, was beaten to death with a blunt instrument at her home near the village of Naul in Co Dublin on October 4.

Despite several arrests, nobody has ever been charged in connection with the killing.

source: IOL

According to radio reports I have heard the note may assist Gardai in identifying the killer. Sounds a bit mysterious and could be a hoax but it had to have been some one close to the family in order to place the the note in the coffin methinks

It sounds far too Columbo for my liking, I'll believe it when the Gardai say they found it (basically, who would put a note in the coffin that would help find the murderer and why?)

flogen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

flogen wrote:
    It sounds far too Columbo for my liking, I'll believe it when the Gardai say they found it (basically, who would put a note in the coffin that would help find the murderer and why?)

flogen
    Guilty Conscience. In a screwed-up way, a person could think that writing a note, and putting it into the coffin with the body before it's buried would help relieve their guilt, in a "I told someone, they just have to find it, so it's out of my hands" way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

unless it was a signed confession, it wouldnt be uncommon for someone to
    put a keepsake in the coffin of a loved one would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

Kingsize wrote:

its an apology from the murderer apparently.

the whole thing is like columbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sounds more like chinese whispers and a misunderstanding. There probably was a note in the coffin, but my guess is it was from someone close to her that wrote her a letter and put it in the coffin as a goodbye. The exhumation probably isn't related to that, but someone might have heard there's a note and... well this is how rumours start.

Of course I could be wrong, but it does sound a bit too Columbo-esque to be true.

• Advertisement

im sick of people discussing this & other cases as if it was eastenders
    honestly ive had to walk out of the work canteen & sit at my desk cos i cant stand the amateur sherlocks driving me Fukkin nuts with their lunchtime conspiracy theories.
    there was a grman guy murdered in the phoenix park years ago the rumour doing the rounds was that his mate tried to shag him & a fight broke out resulting in the murder.
    all complete bullsh_T he was killed by locals drinking in the park
    im fascinated that rumours like this spread though....

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Neuro

Kingsize wrote:

Yes, it is quite common. I've seen people place envelopes in coffins during funerals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

here here Kingsize

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

here here Kingsize

Thats what all guys say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Moved from AH

• Advertisement

which paper reported it, by the way?

flogen

the star for one
    (remember they were one of the newspapers who were
    balming the child murder in cork on "english paedophiles")

Well I wouldn't go too nuts over the whole thing anyway, even if there was a note found it's unlikely to be anything to do with the murder, it's probably something innocent like a goodbye letter someone wanted to leave with her.

"but just one more thing..."

flogen

Advertisement