Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which era of wrestling was the best?

• 09-03-2005 11:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Please allow me a moment to explain myself, which era did you enjoy most was it the eightes with the immortal hollywood (hulk) hogan dominating with other superstars such as the macho man and jake the snake.....
    or was it the in your house era which HBK,Vader, Sid and Todd Pettingill on a saturday morning, ahmed johnson,
    the attitude era with DX, the nation of domination, the corporation,
    the helmesley mcmahon era....
    ah i even remember when jericho was funny and now he is nothing but an ass clown.....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

You could have put a poll unless you dont want to keep score,

But in my opinion, the best era was DX or better know as the "Attiude" era
    with "the nation of Domination" and "the ministry" and "corporation", oh the short lived "union" and Austin at his best in WWE. I surpose i like groups but i dont or didnt like Evolution that much even with Orton, the cabinet is hilarious sometimes though

Also Jericho is as good as he always was and not an Ass clown :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

The child in me would say the late 80's when People like Warrior, Macho and Demolition where getting pushes, although i stopped being a Hogan fan about '87.

But really my favourite memories come from Late '96 - early '97 , when Bret and Shawn were at their best, as well as good angles with Sid, Taker, Mankind, Vader and the breaking Austin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

My favourite has to be the "Attitude" era, just watching the union rushing the ring with 2x4's is reason enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭The Fitz

the attitude era with DX, the nation of domination, the corporation,
    the helmesley mcmahon era....

gets my vote, oh how i miss thee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I reckon you would have to say that the attitude era was the bestest. Simply because, the Wrestling landscape changed forever then. It went from having wholesome all american supermen like Hogan taking on evil anti-americans like Yokozuna, to having the 'anti-hero' which Austin was.

It was also the era, where wretling really became 'Sports Entertainment', where wrestlers became household names apart from the one man on top of the company. You had legendary feuds between DX and NoD, where some of the viewing got quite risque at times. There was the greatest ever feud, between Austin and Vince, but most importantly, at that time WWF had somethinbg which they quite possibly will never have again - competition. The Monday Night Tv Wars kept the wwe on their toes against the superior WcW product at the time. Luckily for Vince, he stayed within budget, something Bishoff/Russo/Turner did not do in WcW.

The attitude era was the pinnacle. Fans were no longer idiots who blindly cheered the guy they were supposed to cheer. they started to make their own decisions, cheer who they wanted. Could Austin have ever been top face in another, earlier era with the gimmick he had?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BensonandHedges

Its my thread so heres what i think undoubtly we have to give some time to the hulkster he who told us to take our vitamins and say our prayers who combined with vinny macs ambition made us watch it, hulk was never a very good wrestler but unlike today we watched it for the characters ultimate warrior, macho man, any body remember zeus(man that summerslam was the balls, papa shango!!!!!!!
    There are now characters anymore they all use there real names shelton benjiman, charlie haas, randy(im a little winey bitch )orton.....
    But i agreee tough very though i really like the corporate ministry but if i may throw some what of a curve ball at yah team canda with petey willams from tna also rock....

Stay classy boards.ie.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 BensonandHedges

Austin against man was empolyee against boss as regards the whole attitude era it was not wwe,wwf iit was all paul heyman and the folks from ecw who where attitude, vince raided the roster and used them on raw, bischoff raided it for wcw, but they copied the style of ecw... Personally the next big change will be TNA. There X Division itle is way better than cruiser weights on smackdown, but paul londo kicks ass.... TNA are making a name for themselves as soon as wwe tie up chris daniels, and aj styles contract at the end of aprilmaybe we will see change......

Stay classy boards.ie............

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

for me most definitely the "Attitude" era

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 DannyAu-Yeung

Late 80s early 90s era. Some great matches and PPVs then unlike some of the crap on tv now!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Late attitude extending into the invasion. Even if you did know every week you would see a lumberjack match with two faces against each other and you knew they would turn against DX every time it kicked ass. Invasion angle could of been done better but i actually enjoyed it, kurt and stone cold fighting for hugs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked the Attitude era and the McMahon/Helmsley era.I think they should bring back the McMahon/Helmsley faction.Everyone knows Stephanie and Triple H are married anyway...

I liked the Attitude era and the McMahon/Helmsley era.I think they should bring back the McMahon/Helmsley faction.Everyone knows Stephanie and Triple H are married anyway...

Yes everyone does know they are married.
    So it's bad enough that they pretty much call the shots in real life without doing it in character as well.
    No Thank You.

D-FENS wrote:
    Yes everyone does know they are married.
    So it's bad enough that they pretty much call the shots in real life without doing it in character as well.
    No Thank You.

Come on,it would be great.Imagine Triple H telling the fans to kiss his ass and that he can do anything he wants because he's the bosses son-in-law.
    He would get great heat from the fans and it could give a WWE wrestler a chance to become a major face by opposing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 DannyAu-Yeung

Anybody that challenges him at present becomes a major face!!!

Come on,it would be great.Imagine Triple H telling the fans to kiss his ass and that he can do anything he wants because he's the bosses son-in-law.
    He would get great heat from the fans and it could give a WWE wrestler a chance to become a major face by opposing him.

Eh, no.
    Like I said, HHH wearing the title for about 11 months of every year is reminder enough that he and Steph are the master manipulators backstage, without them coming out and actually saying it every week.
    I'm trying to forget the fact, and kid myself that he'll get his comeuppance, as it is.
    I hated the angle in 2000 when he was only starting to whisper in Vince's ear, I sure as hell don't want it to start again now that he's going on holiday with him and sharing a scotch in his den.
    Plus, the only way HHH could get more heat from the fans is if he was shot from the crowd.
    And plenty of guys have become a major face by opposing him, HHH just makes them look silly by beating them a few months down the line

D-FENS wrote:
    Eh, no.
    Like I said, HHH wearing the title for about 11 months of every year is reminder enough that he and Steph are the master manipulators backstage, without them coming out and actually saying it every week.

So you'd rather have Flair fawning all over him and telling WWE fans bullsh*t about him being the greatest of all time?I'm getting sick of it.
    We all know he's where he is today due to politics so why not turn it into a storyline?
    D-FENS wrote:
    And plenty of guys have become a major face by opposing him

You're kidding right?Who has become a major face by opposing him?The Rock was successful in opposing him when the McMahon/Helmsley storyline was in place.Since that ended who has been successful on Raw?The fact is,facing Triple H is like a curse on a wrestler's career!What about these guys:

Scott Steiner
    Rob Van Dam
    Booker T
    Kane
    Goldberg
    Kevin Nash
    Randy Orton

None of them have been major faces in opposing him.Shawn Michaels was the exception but he had to lose to him at Bad Blood in the HIAC match.
    Chris Benoit made him tap out but it's clear he was not allowed the spotlight as a major face and it looks like Triple H will beat Benoit next week also.
    Batista will go the same route as the above,in my opinion.

So you'd rather have Flair fawning all over him and telling WWE fans bullsh*t about him being the greatest of all time?I'm getting sick of it.?.

No, I would not prefer that, I’d rather he fecked off altogether, because I’m sick of him as top heel dominating Raw every week.
    We all know he's where he is today due to politics so why not turn it into a storyline?

Why not?, because I’m sick of him at the top, you've admitted you're sick of him at the top, why on earth would it be good to continue having him on top and rubbing everyone's face in it by blatantly telling how he got there?!
    Not something I’d enjoy watching, and besides, it's already been done. The Helmsley McMahon era was awful and bringing it back is not the way forward.
    You're kidding right?Who has become a major face by opposing him?The Rock was successful in opposing him when the McMahon/Helmsley storyline was in place.Since that ended who has been successful on Raw?The fact is,facing Triple H is like a curse on a wrestler's career!What about these guys:

Scott Steiner
    Rob Van Dam
    Booker T
    Kane
    Goldberg
    Kevin Nash
    Randy Orton

None of them have been major faces in opposing him.Shawn Michaels was the exception but he had to lose to him at Bad Blood in the HIAC match.
    Chris Benoit made him tap out but it's clear he was not allowed the spotlight as a major face and it looks like Triple H will beat Benoit next week also.
    Batista will go the same route as the above,in my opinion.

Granted, Mr. Nice Guy, my quote of "plenty of guys have become a major face by opposing him" was badly written. I should have said that plenty of guys got the chance to be a major face, i.e. the guys you listed, but have not been allowed to become one by HHH.
    But my point was in the second part of the sentence, that you conveniently didn’t quote, "HHH just makes them look silly by beating them a few months down the line". You then go on to state this fact yourself, pretty much
    agreeing with me that everyone in the last few years has been prevented real success by HHH, yet you still maintain that the resurrection of the Helmsly/McMahon angle would suddenly make HHH as top heel/Champion interesting again, and also give a huge push to any heel that challenged him?
    Tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

I think nice guys point is that right now HHH is claiming to be the greatest wrestler of all time, unstoppable etc. due to his skill and not his connections. By bringing back the mcmahon/helmsley faction HHH is saying 'look at me, im untouchable, i have authority, who cares i cant wrestle' thus anyone who can get one over on HHH the corporation man (like steve austin the anti-hero) will go mega over with the crowd.

Just my thoughts

D-FENS wrote:

Why not?, because I’m sick of him at the top, you've admitted you're sick of him at the top, why on earth would it be good to continue having him on top and rubbing everyone's face in it by blatantly telling how he got there?!
    Not something I’d enjoy watching, and besides, it's already been done. The Helmsley McMahon era was awful and bringing it back is not the way forward.

I feel you are in the minority if you feel the McMahon/Helmsley era was awful as it helped propel The Rock to the position as the top face in Austin's absence and made for some great viewing as the Rock battled against DX and then McMahon through 2000.
    D-FENS wrote:
    yet you still maintain that the resurrection of the Helmsley/McMahon angle would suddenly make HHH as top heel/Champion interesting again, and also give a huge push to any heel that challenged him?Tripe.

I'm just trying to offer a solution to the problem of Triple H's domination of Raw.You can't seem to offer a solution other than commenting that you'd "rather he fecked off altogether."Yeah that's gonna happen. :rolleyes:
    Exposing that Triple H and Stephanie are married and reviving the McMahon/Helmsley faction would work well for various reasons.The fact is Triple H is clearly the top heel on Raw so starting a faction around him makes sense since a face would be battling an entire faction and not just one man.Also,alot of Triple H's heat comes from his private life.Addressing this would give him major heat and allow for a face turn down the line.
    Not to mention the fact that faces do best when battling the people in power.

You seem to want to remain stuck in WWE kayfabe fantasy land.I happen to believe that addressing reality would work better for WWE writers.
    Winning Hand understood what I was saying - Having a situation where Triple H is telling the fans "Screw you,I'm the champ and the boss's son-in-law and I can do what I want and I will beat Flair's record and become the most decorated champ of all time" would generate far more heat than some of Triple H's broadcasts such as the Raw after the Elimination Chamber match at NYR when he asked the crowd if it was politics that got him there and then went on to say that it was because he's the greatest of all time.Now that is tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭moongoose

without doubt the attitude era just to go back to the outlaws and the road d-o-double crooked letter

• Advertisement

You seem to want to remain stuck in WWE kayfabe fantasy land.I happen to believe that addressing reality would work better for WWE writers.

Whatever.

Bottom line, anything that involved HHH in the future , including your brainstorm, is good for nothing or nobody except HHH.
    No angles/storylines that he is in will be interesting viewing unless it resulted in his exit, and yes i know that's highly unlikely, but it's the sad truth.
    And nobody is ever gonna anchieve the status of Austin or Rock again while HHH is around, no matter what the angle.
    Sorry if that's not as proactive as your views

D-FENS wrote:
    Whatever.

Bottom line, anything that involved HHH in the future , including your brainstorm, is good for nothing or nobody except HHH.
    No angles/storylines that he is in will be interesting viewing unless it resulted in his exit, and yes i know that's highly unlikely, but it's the sad truth.
    And nobody is ever gonna anchieve the status of Austin or Rock again while HHH is around, no matter what the angle.
    Sorry if that's not as proactive as your views

I don't exactly know what your view is.You just seem to want to cry about the fact that Triple H is the top heel without acknowledging the fact that there's nobody good enough to replace him as a heel.
    You say nobody will achieve the status of The Rock or Austin while he's around but that's nonsense.He just possesses too much influence at this point in time and the fact that the real reason behind this is denied by the WWE(that he is Vince's son-in-law)makes things all the more frustrating.Batista and Orton only got their chances due to them being friends with Triple H.

The fact is Triple H is the best heel in the WWE right now.Keeping his private life separate from his role in the WWE hurts his position.If it was made public it would be great for the WWE and allow for the emergence of a top face.

I don't exactly know what your view is.You just seem to want to cry about the fact that Triple H is the top heel without acknowledging the fact that there's nobody good enough to replace him as a heel.
    You say nobody will achieve the status of The Rock or Austin while he's around but that's nonsense.He just possesses too much influence at this point in time and the fact that the real reason behind this is denied by the WWE(that he is Vince's son-in-law)makes things all the more frustrating.Batista and Orton only got their chances due to them being friends with Triple H.

The fact is Triple H is the best heel in the WWE right now.Keeping his private life separate from his role in the WWE hurts his position.If it was made public it would be great for the WWE and allow for the emergence of a top face.

Whatever

D-FENS wrote:
    Whatever

good point :D

Stalfos wrote:
    good point :D

Thanks, i put a lot of thought into it

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Kio

all the era's where good for there time *(execpt ares) mutters under breath*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Magnolia_Fan

What defines an era though?...cus I've been watching since about 1989 so I'd have gone through what 4 or 5 era's?...so which is my era?

I think an era is when there is a major change that effects the whole company like when HHH and Stephanie McMahon got together and started the "McMahon/Helmsley era" or when WWE started to ripe off ECW and formed the "Attitude era".

If you didnt read the first post then do and then choose your fav era

Advertisement