Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surname in Irish?

• 09-03-2005 12:00pm

My cousin's last name is McNally and she was wondering what it would be in Irish. I've found out that in most places this name is Mac an Fhailghigh. However if your family is from Armagh/Monaghan like hers, supposedly it is Mac Con Uladh. What would that be for a girl?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Headleylamarr

Had an old classmate, who was a Nally, his was (phonetically, as I never saw it in print) Mac an allig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Google it and see.

• Already googled it and didn't find anything. I think the first one is Nic an Fhailghigh but no idea for the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

However if your family is from Armagh/Monaghan like hers, supposedly it is Mac Con Uladh.

Mac names are usually nic for girls so it's probably "Nic Con Uladh".

Already googled it and didn't find anything. I think the first one is Nic an Fhailghigh but no idea for the second.

Try googling the Irish version you found. If that doesn't produce the results, trying putting in "Irish surnames". There are lot of sites with info. on Irish surnames.

• Advertisement

I found one Máire Nic An Fhailghigh through google and also one Eilís Nic Con Uladh although, strangely, Eilís's name in English is given in brackets as McCullough afterwards.

I also found a Michelle Nic Chon Uladh. I don't know why she has a h there - usually, you don't get that after nic names - maybe it's some regional variation. Irish names are very complicated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Tá scealógaí in aice liom darbh ainm Macari, fear de bhunadh an Iodáil táim ag ceapach, ach cad a cheapann sibh faoi Mac a’Rí? Sin ainm Gaelach gan dabht!

foxybrowne wrote:
    Tá scealógaí in aice liom

An é sin a ghlaonn tú féin ar "chipper"? Deirimse féin "An Siopa Sceallóg"
    darbh ainm Macari, fear de bhunadh an Iodáil táim ag ceapach, ach cad a cheapann sibh faoi Mac a’Rí? Sin ainm Gaelach gan dabht!

:D

Muise, déanaimid ar ndícheall. Cad a chuireann tú ar “caravan”, fuair mé bothán bóthair sa bhfoclóir inniú, ach caithfear go bhfuil focal eile níos cruinne ann.

"Carbhán" atá i bhfoclóir De Bhaldraithe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I've seen the Irish name Mac an Aili .... don't know it it translates to McNally though!

"Mac Con Uladh. What would that be for a girl?"

Nic Con Ulaidh?

Not your ornery onager

Níl mórán mhaitheas leis an bhfocal sin im’ thuairmse, tá sé cosúil le car bhán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Mac an Fhailí (An Sloinnteoir agus an tAinmnitheoir, Coiscéim, 1995)

Mac Nally: v numerous: mainly Ulster, also Connacht and Leinster. Ir. Mac an Fhailghigh from failgheach, a poor person. The name is associated with Oriel where they also went under Mac Con Uladh, which may be partially correct for that region. (Sloinnte uile Éireann: All Ireland surnames, Comhar-Chumann Íde Naofa, 2002)

Better than googling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

A few years ago me brother went a bit mad. One of the symptoms was immersing himself in familial history. He got a book which he still calls "The Book Of Knowledge", jokingly. (By the way, our family, we're deadly.)

I think he knows everything possible to know about my family (or/and clan)...all there is to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Oh yeah, "The Book Of Knowledge" is properly called "Irish surnemes" or something. It was written by some MacLysaght boyo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stoopidkid

its Nic/Mac an Fhailí. my best friend has the same surname and thats what he went by at school

Oh yeah, "The Book Of Knowledge" is properly called "Irish surnemes" or something. It was written by some MacLysaght boyo...

Edward McLysaght. Most authorative book around on the subject. My copy has dogs' ears from extensive use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maculla

hi there!
    had to register to reply here: im a little hazy on the original post.
    mc nally is not nicc con uladh or mac con uladh: this name is McCullagh.
    its very prevelant in eastern tyrone, ireland. ya cant swing a cat there apparently without hitting one of us.
    the third or fourth message about the h is:
    Mac=son Cu=hound Uladh=Ulster; therefore son of the hound of Ulster (Cu Chulainn of the Fianna was frequently described as such.
    so the name of a boy in this name is: Mac Con Uladh [con is the possessive case in gaelic for Cu/hound]

for a girl [who is obviously not-a-son] its:
    Nic Chon Uladh.
    Nic=daughter Chon=possessive case of Cu-female] Uladh=Ulster.
    Gender is denoated in GAelic with a 'h' [which also silences the previous letter when pronounced].
    in short, the 'h' signifies that the subject hound-of-Ulster is female; females deriving their lineage not automatically from the male ancester (the Cu-hound) but from the matriarchial line, i.e. the female-hound/bitch from whom she descends.
    questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 maculla

hi again!
    almost forgot: look at the anglicised version and the gaelic origin. very often these were phonetic reproductions in english script [as they were used to from interaction with scottish, and many in the administration may have been scottish!]
    Mac an fhailghigh = McNally

remember your gaelic grammar! A 'h' silences the previous letter in irish! therefore the f, g & g must all go in the pronounciation.
    so=
    mac-an-aili........ macanalli...... mcanally.....mcnally!
    this son of a poor man lark i dont give much credit to either.more likely a sept of one kind or another that didnt make it into the annals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Whats my surname in irish? Sarhan?

• Advertisement

Shrimp wrote:
    Whats my surname in irish? Sarhan?

That's an Arabic name, is it? If so, there's no Irish version - you just stick with it as it is in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Victorious

Hey there
    One of the irish versions of the surname Carolan, is the name Ó Cearbhalláin.
    How do you pronounce this? is it O'Carolan, or O'Carvallan?
    PS: i have already done a web search and didnt find anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,521 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Oh Cyar-ah-law-in.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can anyone tell me my name in Irish... McGinn? My sister said it's NicFhinn, but I've come to realise from this thread that Nic is feminine... My father, however, maintains that it's Mac Fhionn, son of Fionn(MacCumhaill, lol...), so I'd like if someone could clear that up.

Also, I'm thinking about adopting the Irish translation of my name, David, but I'm not sure about the spelling... I googled it and got fadas all over the place, so can someone tell me which it is, please? Daithí, Dáithí, or Daithi? lol, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I'd love my surname to translate into Irish, I was given the unlikely translation of de lacey = de léis in primary school.
    Stupid normans.

I'd love my surname to translate into Irish, I was given the unlikely translation of de lacey = de léis in primary school.
    Stupid normans.

Ever hear of the phrase more Irish than the Irish themselves? Many of the Normans were completely immersed in Irish Gaelic society after the initial invasion and many Irish versions of Norman names have long cultural histories and are not some later-day makey-uppey name as some people assume. Two fo the most famous poets in Irish in the Middle Ages, Gearóid Iarla Mac Gearailt and Piaras Feiritéar were both from Norman stock.

Norman names tend to always have De in the Irish version:
    Barry - De Barra
    Burke - De Búrca
    Butler - De Buitléir
    Ross - De Rossa

I think De Léis sounds excellent.

Oooooh thanks!
    In college today we had a lecture on the normans in my litríócht 1600-1750 class, it was really interesting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i was told my sirname means valiant servant of god by an irish whiz,i always liked peoples sirnames in irish.It's weird that the females in my family have a different variation of the sirname in irish though.

Oooooh thanks!
    In college today we had a lecture on the normans in my litríócht 1600-1750 class, it was really interesting.

Seathrún Céitinn(Geofrey Keating) and Foras Feasa ar Éirinn were mentioned I presume. He was the ultimate example of a gaelicised Norman.

http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G100054/
    i was told my sirname means valiant servant of god by an irish whiz,i always liked peoples sirnames in irish.It's weird that the females in my family have a different variation of the sirname in irish though.

What's the name? Mac/Nic Giolla Dé or something? Women have a different variant in Irish simply because they're some one's daughter, not their son! When you think about it, it does'nt make much sense that girls are referred to as someone son or grandson in their surname.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭goldenbrown

re Whats my surname in irish? Sarhan? its o'sarahan m8.. :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Gael wrote:

What's the name? Mac/Nic Giolla Dé or something? Women have a different variant in Irish simply because they're some one's daughter, not their son! When you think about it, it does'nt make much sense that girls are referred to as someone son or grandson in their surname.
    ya that's the name but i think i was told that there is an extra word in one of the variants,dunno whether is is male or female.I know why it is different and i explain it to people...just pointing out that i found it odd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

Fitzpatrick- Mac Giolla Phadraig

Gael wrote:
    Seathrún Céitinn(Geofrey Keating) and Foras Feasa ar Éirinn were mentioned I presume. He was the ultimate example of a gaelicised Norman.

Yeah we're doing scéalta céitinn in the classes, I can't believe how bad my irish is after not speaking it all summer, i'm dreading grammar on friday. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I love my name in Irish - Ní Dhónaill - but it always causes problems - My mum's Uí Dhónaill, my dad's Ó Dónaill and I'm Ní Dhónaill. I think the poor airport people hate us already.

As for the de Lacey person, my friend is called 'Lacey' and she's either Ní Laitheasa or de Lása. I'd say de Lacey is de Lása... but don't hold me to that!

Same happened to my friend - she was Ní Naoire, now she's Nic an Aoire. Our primary just couldn't translate names at all....

Oh, and David person. It's Dáithí. All the fadas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

my first name is Irish so I usually leave my surname in english! Ive a question...if my surname is english....can you use the irish version on legal documents...or no?!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Ceilteach

yep

Advertisement