Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS - ad on the TELLY!!!

Options
  • 09-03-2005 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Last night I couldn't believe it, there was a DS ad on the telly:)

And 3 whole days before the actual release of the machine...

Nintendo truly are the kings of marketing! :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

dearg_doom wrote:
    Last night I couldn't believe it, there was a DS ad on the telly:)

And 3 whole days before the actual release of the machine...

Nintendo truly are the kings of marketing! :rolleyes:

well in fairness effective advertising doesn't really revolve around TV anymore. They had a big TV campaign for the Cube (loads of promotions on MTV etc) and it didn't do much, I think their roadshows are the important part of the whole thing, while it's nothing amazing it shows me that Nintendo are starting to understand the use of Sony-esque marketting.

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah, people hardly listen to ads anymore. They listen to mags, friends even websites.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

2FM and Smiths Toy Store have been plugging the DS all week and giving away a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Koji the frog

How much will be the exact price for the DS in Ireland? And for the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Heard an ad on the radio today.

Tbh, I'd rather stick with my PSP.

• Advertisement

Winters wrote:
    Heard an ad on the radio today.

Tbh, I'd rather stick with my PSP.
    Did any one ask which you would prefer? Why do all these threads have to decend in to a V's match when there are plenty of others that were started specfically about that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

180 yoyo's for console and 50 yoyo's for games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Rew wrote:
    Did any one ask which you would prefer? Why do all these threads have to decend in to a V's match when there are plenty of others that were started specfically about that...

LOL, always happens with these things as we all know.

Winter's comment wasn't so bad, but it does annoy me when every thread about either the PSP or the DS has at least one comment saying the other is better.

I guess it's just the nerd way :)

It wasn't the comment as such its just the way people are draging threads OT when there are plenty of DS V's PSP topics around.

Looking forward to seeing if they keep up the medai campaign a bit more, havn't seen any TV adds myself yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Koji the frog

Are you sure for the price? i thought the prices were all the sames in europe.
    For the french market, it ll be 149 yoyos for the console and 39-49 for the games.

• Advertisement

For the french market, it ll be 149 yoyos for the console and 39-49 for the games.
    As far as I know its whay you said not what Mohanned said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

Rew wrote:
    As far as I know its whay you said not what Mohanned said

EDIT
    He copied me but changed it. a bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

On the GAME preorder expected prices list the games are down at €39.99 each, except for Polarium and Sprung which are €29.99 each. The console's gonna be €149.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Just saw an ad on Sky1. I didn't know it was a DS ad till the end. It was very strange to see something on the TV that I had previously never seen before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

HAHA, while the PSP might be better than the DS or it might not be(I don't really care which is, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT IN COMPETITION WITH EACH OTHER)

Really it was the first Nintendo ad I'd seen on telly since the GC ads years ago (not including those EA ads:))

Which was so unexpected, but I couldn't help feeling it was really futile, I mean the thing was out in three DAYS,

Looks like game companies don't change their spots:)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Sorry but who or what is a "nintendo". Are DS his initials or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

dearg_doom wrote:
    Which was so unexpected, but I couldn't help feeling it was really futile, I mean the thing was out in three DAYS,

You don't have to buy it on the release date ya know?

This is effective marketing, because all of a sudden you get this huge burst of publicity and buzz around your product, and it just kinda kick starts people.

Kinda like the blair witch project, crap movie, but the insane buzz started within weeks of its release made it do well.

Less people are even aware of the PSP, and so now think that the DS is the only new console coming out. Nintendo know exactly what they are doing IMO. PsP will still outsell

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

it is one of the funniest ads on the telly though, very well put together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You don't have to buy it on the release date ya know?
    Well said! The voice of reason.....

Its not like they're stocking 1000 consoles on Friday, and never getting any more in stock ever again when they're gone.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement