Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Bluff hand

Options
  • 09-03-2005 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

.5/1 VC 6 Seater
    I had a stack of about 120, had aopponent covered.
    Me in SB with Jc6c

3 Limpers. I complete. BB checks
    5 players..Flop comes.. 3c 4h 5c

I check. BB bets $5. Folded to me.
    I raise to $15
    BB calls

Turn comes 9d

I Bet $20

BB calls

River Jh

WHAT should I do now????? What was my play like up to this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Its a tricky one alright. I reckon your play up to there is fine. You had a lot of outs and he's almost def on a pp. Question is how high is his pp. I reckon you are behind here, putting him on QQ, KK or AA. I would check and throw it away if he bets (unless its a small amount, not sure how much he has left). He might also check as he could be afraid of a check/raise from you, giving you a showdown for free. I don't think betting is an option here as you are only going to be called by a better hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Even tho you have a variety of outs I do not believe you should be betting so much with only one player on a draw, if there are 2 I might as I am getting more value for my draw if it hits and so the risk is worth it.

I have a sneaky suspicion you ran into a top set but he also believed that you had made the straight hoping that the board will pair.

Another possibility is he is trying to draw to the nut club flush with Ax.

Very tricky situation and hard to pinpoint a hand he is on, he could even have the straight made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

I'm not convinced about your pre-flop call... maybe in late position it's fine, but it's hard to play a hand like that out of position (as you found out, I think smile.gif).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I think this guy is on the draw or he would have re-raised you. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ takes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

Your opponent made a pot size bet from the big blind with others to act so unless he's a total lunatic you have to put him on some kind of hand. He then called your substantial reraise and a substantial turn bet. Assuming that he is a good player (as you would have told us I presume if he had been playing badly up until then), he knows that he got position on you so I think you've got to consider a flopped set or str8. A good player should not be calling bets of that size on draws so really the only other hope you have is that he has a pp bigger than the flop but smaller that J's (has your opponent had been raising his big pairs previously?) ......so you're probably behind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭dropsy

Then again, is it VC and it is 0.5/1 so he could have pockets 2's :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

dropsy wrote:
    Then again, is it VC and it is 0.5/1 so he could have pockets 2's :)

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

BB either had a bare club flush draw, therefore you should check and induce a bluff on the river. If you bet the river he folds.

I'd say he probably has something like 52o or 42o, hit an opener-ender and a pair on the raggy flop which didn't get there. Bet the river just enough so that he might call because the pot is reasonably big.

If you were up against a flopped set you would have known it alot earlier because of the danger of the straight/flush draw. A made straight is possible but I'd doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭AmarilloFats

I Pushed the river..(terrible) He called with A2 for the flopped straight...
    As you have said I was building the pot out of position...I think the flop check raise is ok...Turn bet ok!..but check the river..Dear god...Check it

Advertisement