Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom tried to charge for free line!

• 09-03-2005 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

To a word or warning:

got a new phone line installed by eircom last week and yesterday they sent out the paperwork. It said that the installation cost was 129.99. So i rang them and said that I ordered the line after being told that it was free installation. They went looking and came back and said that it was free but because the promotion was only for 6 weeks, they didn't see the point in changing their stationery!!

I wonder if I had paid the money would they have refunded it??

Not sure but just though i'd highlight this potential cost to other people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

That's eircom for ya. During my "free" trial of their broadband I found that they were adding hidden charges onto the bill. They also seem to be charging more for their line rental too. E40 for the last 2 months. I swear it was at least E10 cheaper than that before. Best thing I'm doing is switching to Smart when they roll out their own bb later this year. Cheaper and they don't rip ya off like eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭ikol

yeah i was paying 35 a month for a year with eircom but as soon as my first year was up it went to 45 a month quickly switched to ntl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

eircom are a cancer to the development of broadband and decent telecomunications.

And I'm afraid it's just to bad to be cut out...but it will eventually lead to death.

I hope when smart come into the exchanges they will wake up and provide better services and telephone lines that work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭roryodonnell

Even if Eircom were 50% cheaper than other firms, I still wouldn't use them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh they charged us for free broadband too but assured us we would be refunded the folllowing month. They did refund us but left us €20 short claiming we didn't return the router back on time (which we did, it was delayed due to back log over Xmas) B@ST#RDS!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I really can't understand why people are still grumping about Eircom, six years after Esat introduced flat rate internet access with their No Limits service. Before Esat I was paying Eircom £300 every month for very limited internet access on dial up. Esat brought my bills down from £300 pounds to £20 a month on the stroke of a pen. People say No limits had limits but I only ever recieved one letter about over use, which I threw in the bin. Esat at that time had people in Supermarkets trying to get Eircom customers to move their accounts to them. But yet people went and bought Eircom shares on the advice of the Fianna Fail government. In my opinion any one that stayed with Eircom after 1999 deserves a 4 gb cap and should be charged a stupidity tax as well.
    Any one that now hasn't signed up to Smarts offer is also stupid and have no grounds for complaining in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

seeing as were all having a mini rant... I got a bill from eircom for line rental for Feb to April, despite the fact that my calls & line rental switched to UTV in Jan... so technically Eircom owe me money :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

Same thing happend to me re: first post.

I signed up for the free offer, and received not 1, but 2 Letters of Agreement.
    Both of these have different order numbers, different account numbers, and both had prices of €63.49 in advance, followed by a statement saying the balance will be sorted out in my first account. These two letters were dated 2 days apart.

I rang them, and got one of them cancelled. I also mentioned that I'm part of the free deal and said I won't be supplying my direct-debit details. They said fine.

Still, it's quite annoying that a company works like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

I believe Eircom are offering free line connection until the end of March (I had a sales rep call in to me out of the blue a few weeks ago). If I avail of the offer, is there any requirement requirement in terms of line rental, hidden catches etc?

I'm thinking of getting them to connect my line and then switch over very shortly to Smart.

Advertisement