Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone got GT4 yet?

• 09-03-2005 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

well?
    First impressions?

I know it probably looks amazing, but I'm having worries about the AI (how the cars follow that invisible line religiously and barge u off the track).
    All, whats the damage features like?

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

Aint got it yet, wasn't it due to be released yesterday or the day before. Cant wait to get a copy of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I think it's today.
    Gonna nip round the corner to Xtravision to pick up a copy... just in case the afterwork gang make it a first day sellout!

I loved GT2, but this was more for the long-play and building up my garage.
    The game engine itself wasnt a patch on some PC racing games.
    I've got Burnout 3, and that is fantastic.
    GT4 will really have to be something special

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

I got it today. It looks great. The AI is almost exactly the same as GT3. Although I noticed that they crash into you a lot more. Its going to take a lot of time to get into. I wish there was an online mode. Maybe there will be in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I just got it yesterday, have a driving force wheel, and the force feedback is f**king amazing. You can feel the cars being very unstable at high speeds and they can spin on you very easily.

It also has the dreaded Nurburgring at 50km of it, with all the graffeti.

Id love to get the driving force pro wheel, it turns 2 1/2 turns like a normal car wheel, but I think its about €150. Dont know if its even out in Ireland yet though.

Deadly game though, well worth the money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Got it on Friday. Had it booked for two weeks and oh my God, what a game. Played it a little and liked it alot. And the nurburgring is unbelieveable. Cant stop playing. My verdict is, So far, 10 out of 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Its an amazing game. Yes we're used to Gran Turismo having tons and tons of cars, but this one seems to have so much more, it feels like there's ten times as many non-Japanese cars, and there's so many in there that have never been in a game before and I really want to try out. My own car is also in there too which is nice...

More importantly, the racing just feels so much better, the sense of speed is fantastic, it feels nearly as fast as Burnout 3 now and GT3 is a snails pace by comparison. The handling has also been tweaked, not sure how but the few cars I've driven so far have felt very nice to drive. The cars seem to lean a lot more, although could be because it's so long since I raced in GT3 with anything other than a stiff-suspensioned racecar but I'm starting fresh again in GT4 with road cars. The fact you can now put wings on cars makes a huge difference - so many times in GT3 have I modified a car to the max only to find it almost undriveable because it doesn't have the downforce to cope with it's newfound speed, but thats not a problem anymore!

And the selection of tracks is impressive too, there's Nurburgring of course, then there's Suzuka, Monaco, Laguna Seca to name but a few, then there's also Le Mans! I didn't even know that was in it till I got it!

All in all its a great game, MGS3 hasn't been touched since GT4 arrived. Oh and about AI, it's not really noticeable when your driving, but if you watch B-Spec mode the drivers do drive very aggressively and intelligently. Unfortunately they don't seem to do the same when racing the player, it might be that they depend heavily on predicting what the other car will do, which they can do for other AIs but not for you, I don't know. I was happy enough with the AI though in general, they push their cars hard and dont just stick to one line all the time, so it makes for good racing even if they like to try and drive through you. The one thing I really wish they'd added is damage modelling, I guess thats one for the PS3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭full forward

Sounds deadly. How much is it? Does €52.99 delivered from play.com sound like a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

check out

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/593/593206p1.html

seems there is a way (complicated) of getting online in GT4, have not got it working yet.. post back here if anyone has any luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Paulmee

€49.99 from smyths toystore if you have a loyalty card, Best off to sign up for one for the discount.

Great game, 5 outta 5 for me.

My first car was a second hand 02 honda civic, i regret that though because there are better second hand cars available like the lancer evolution at a similar price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Its a fantastic driving sim, i got it in xtra-vision for 55 wit 10 euro's worth of rental vouchers and a free jeremy clarkson dvd and im very pleased, anyone know which major car manufacturer's didnt take part in the game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

one of the best driving games i have played in ages

problems i have with the games are
    1. no damage
    2. stupid AI cars crashing into me all the time

other than that i give it 9/10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Id love to get the driving force pro wheel, it turns 2 1/2 turns like a normal car wheel, but I think its about €150. Dont know if its even out in Ireland yet though.

!
    thats the wheel im looking for i say its not even in ireland i say ebay is the best option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Can you still get the Suzuki Pikes Peaks Rally car and mod it to 1400bhp? My mate got it yesterday so I can see myself donating a large amount of my time to it.

Whats the career mode like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

AH F*CKIN LEAVING CERT. I cant wait for the summer. Ill play this till my eyes fall out.
    IGN.com said you need the 900 degree fource feed back steering wheel and suound sound to get the full experience. Which brings the bill to about €350.

lafortezza wrote:
    Can you still get the Suzuki Pikes Peaks Rally car and mod it to 1400bhp? My mate got it yesterday so I can see myself donating a large amount of my time to it.

Whats the career mode like?

ASFAIK its unlockable

This is the car ive just unlocked its the NIKE concept car!!!
    Front View and Rear View

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

edmund_f wrote:
    check out

http://faqs.ign.com/articles/593/593206p1.html

seems there is a way (complicated) of getting online in GT4, have not got it working yet.. post back here if anyone has any luck?
    since gt4 is LAN-capable all you need is a piece of hardware called "xlink" which basically sits between your console and modem... but apparently it can be a bit buggy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Xlink Kai is free software and that runs off your computer. It justs trick hte PS2 into thinking that it is playing against other people on a network.

the photo drive is quite a nice feature, just plugged in my memory stick to the ps2 and took some photos of me drivin around the Nuremberg Ring :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anyone know why when I try to view the nike showroom i just get a live picture from my eyetoy?

Never mind, just figured it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

em i just bought this and it doesnt work .

WTF >

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Placebo wrote:

WTF >
    :confused::confused: what

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Placebo wrote:

WTF >

I got a rental copy from extravision at the start of the week. The disc wasn't badly marked or scratched but it took about 5 goes for my ps2 to start reading the disc. Usually got stuck on the browser screen.
    I chipped my ps2 so I know my laser isn't 100% but this is first time a game showed up any problems with my hardware.

Took the same disc to a friends house and his ps2 wouldn't play it at all. "disc reading error" everytime. The laser on his ps2 is on its last legs.Plays all original discs but sometimes trips up with backup copies.

Went and bought GT4 and the brand new disc still wouldn't play on his ps2.
    New disc plays fine on mine but you can hear the laser unit working its ass off.

I'd say its down to the fact that its a dual layer disc and its asking more out of the laser then most games.
    Have you tried using a lens cleaning disc??

hey man, see when i got my ps2 chipped i was told to hold on to reset button and watch the ps2 start until the 'sony ps2' logo appears, then let go.
    Thats how i load a dvd so i tried same with this and it worked, id say you MIGHT have the same problem.

thanks for the input though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭dave oc

Does anyone know what the gt points are for?

I keep getting them for winning races and just dont know what they do?

The instruction book says you use them for modding your car..... but you use normal credits for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Aspec points are kind of a way to show how well you are doing, If you buy a really powerfull car and put it against crappy cars you will only get 1 point (maybe none), If you put cars that are alike together (power-wise) and win you will get 5+ points. It just shows that if a person has 80% done and they have a low aspec points, they did it unfairly. Great Idea. The bspec ones are for when you get the computer to race for you, if you guide it well you get better points.

Sean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Try getting a disc cleaner lads, its often just because theres dust/dirt on the laser. The HMV ones are very good, the ones with tiny fibres are the best. (some are special PS2 ones)

I have a day one PS2 and have to run the cleaner disc every so often, quick spin (or 2)and it works fine again.

Btw the HMV DVD Cleaner also has a 5.1 speaker sound check as well as a colour fade check ,so recommended.
    Lafortezza , Its pure class! Career mode is same as before do your licences, get bonus cars, do the new coffee breaks, There new Driving test as well etc. The Escudo pikes car is in it but its been 'fixed' so the LM cars Suuber C1, Toyota Gtone Mazda 787B are quicker (just like real life) :)

Placebo wrote:
    hey man, see when i got my ps2 chipped i was told to hold on to reset button and watch the ps2 start until the 'sony ps2' logo appears, then let go.
    Thats how i load a dvd so i tried same with this and it worked, id say you MIGHT have the same problem.

thanks for the input though.

Yeah sometimes that does the trick. Working fine at the moment.Poor thing is getting old.Would buy a new one but the thoughts of chipping it again makes me stick with the old one.
    I'd also recommend that HMV lens cleaning disc. The voice over is the only bad thing about it. If corben Dallas has the same one he\she knows what I'm talking about. :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

LOL taxman
    Theee cClleeaningg Prosscceesss willl beeGinn Now :D
    Good that they the have the blowing up planets thing to keep u entertained for the 30secs :D:p

thanks guys
    also why is turning so hard in this game :(

• Advertisement

Mainly down to the tyres fitted. Go buy some racing slicks and after they get nice and warm you'll find cornering much better.
    I thought the exact same the very first time I played the game.
    Playing Burn out3 and NFS 2 for too long.
    Last GT game I had was the first one.

Took a while to get back in the GT grove ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

got this yesterday and am very impressed with the gameplay and sheer size of the game.. it's huge!
    however, is it just me or are the graphics not that impressive at all?
    when i got gt3 a few years ago, the graphics were like nothing i'd ever seen before, pure amazing!
    i was expecting the same this time around with gt4, another leap in the quality of graphics, but to me it looks pretty dull. makes me wonder what sony were up to developing this game for the past couple of years..
    hmm, maybe i've just been playing too much project gotham racing 2 on the xbox :)

Advertisement