Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Haircuts

• 09-03-2005 1:02pm

Does anyone know where you can get a decent haircut (doesn't matter if it's a student on) around the city centre?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭DirtyHarry

toni&guy are looking for models.....get a quality haircut for dirt cheap! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I second Toni and Guy, i use the one on Clarendon St, they're really nice in there and u get a great cut or colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

ye i got called in off the steet for a tony and guy cut got it for free and it was really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

*Page* wrote:
    ye i got called in off the steet for a tony and guy cut got it for free and it was really nice

Hmm, I'm not sold on toni and guy (the clarendon st one anyhow).

I have to confess, I've been to the hairdresser exactly 4 times in my life (communion, confirmation, once 2 years ago and once last year.) And I'm a girl. When I was small, and hairstyle was an uncomplicated affair, my mam would cut it. I'm 21 now and I've just been cutting it myself. It's kinda ringlety so it never mattered (to me anyway) if it wasn't entirely even. Never had any cutting disasters, even though i took a good few inches off it one time. I would always just chop away with a kitchen scissors. Sorry if anyone's mortally offended by that!!

Anyway, I decided one time to splash out and go to toni and guy. They clearly had no idea how to actually deal with my type of curl. They seemed to have a one-size-fits-all approach to curly hair. I hadn't wanted to much off the length (twas just above shoulder) but wanted the layers shortened a bit on top to give it a slightly rounder look. When I left, it was completely limp, practically nothing had been taken off (because a few days later it looked like I hadn't been near the hairdresser at all), and worst of all, I had two inch-long stumps of hair (thick-enough clumps) just at the top of my head, near the back. I kid you not. I didn't notice til later. What in the name of god the hairdresser was up to I don't know. And I was about 45 quid the poorer.

Maybe they're grand for the usual procedures, and maybe they're just better with straight hair.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of a hairdresser that genuinely knows how to cut curly hair well then I'd love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

roxy wrote:
    Hmm, I'm not sold on toni and guy (the clarendon st one anyhow).

I have to confess, I've been to the hairdresser exactly 4 times in my life (communion, confirmation, once 2 years ago and once last year.) And I'm a girl. When I was small, and hairstyle was an uncomplicated affair, my mam would cut it. I'm 21 now and I've just been cutting it myself. It's kinda ringlety so it never mattered (to me anyway) if it wasn't entirely even. Never had any cutting disasters, even though i took a good few inches off it one time. I would always just chop away with a kitchen scissors. Sorry if anyone's mortally offended by that!!

Anyway, I decided one time to splash out and go to toni and guy. They clearly had no idea how to actually deal with my type of curl. They seemed to have a one-size-fits-all approach to curly hair. I hadn't wanted to much off the length (twas just above shoulder) but wanted the layers shortened a bit on top to give it a slightly rounder look. When I left, it was completely limp, practically nothing had been taken off (because a few days later it looked like I hadn't been near the hairdresser at all), and worst of all, I had two inch-long stumps of hair (thick-enough clumps) just at the top of my head, near the back. I kid you not. I didn't notice til later. What in the name of god the hairdresser was up to I don't know. And I was about 45 quid the poorer.

Maybe they're grand for the usual procedures, and maybe they're just better with straight hair.

Incidentally, if anyone knows of a hairdresser that genuinely knows how to cut curly hair well then I'd love to know.

Yes - exactly, what is it with hairdressers and curly hair - they really don't have a clue! I've got wavy/curly hair and I mostly leave it natural cuz I couldn't be bothered with all that "grooming" lark - but I do like a good hair cut! And I swear EVERY time I go to the hairdresser unless I say exactly what I want, it turns out completely wrong and they can't even scrunch dry it properly! I would also be much obliged if someone knows somewhere where they know how to deal with curls (and are relatively cheap!)

:)

• Advertisement

• How far in advance do you need to make an appointment at Toni and Guy? How much is their student cut?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

One of the girls I used to work with had very curly hair and she used to to go Zoo on Exchequer st. the hairdresser she used was called Carolan, he's pretty good, he cut my hair too. my hair is straight, but it was a very goos cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭roxy

One of the girls I used to work with had very curly hair and she used to to go Zoo on Exchequer st. the hairdresser she used was called Carolan, he's pretty good, he cut my hair too. my hair is straight, but it was a very goos cut.

Cool, thanks for that.

Anyone else ever left the hairdresser with stumps though?! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

Sam's Barbers, 6.50 euro on Mondays and Tuesday, 3 back and sides thank you very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

my bedroom free ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

Why your bedroom though? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

well my mother goes mad if i do it in the kitchen, ya know ? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

i went to toni & guy in south anne street to get my highlights done. the colour did not take to the roots and sher didnt do the sides so my hair looked aawful in colour when it was finished. the blowdry was done beautifully tho. the girl said to me that that was normal that the colour would not take!!! i asked her what was the point of getting roots done if colour did not take and also why did they take in every other salon i had been to? she was so reluctant to admit that it had gone wrong i ended up having to call the manager. i was told to come back again to get it sorted. i dont mind the mistake.....these things happen...i just dont like being fobbed.....not at that price anyway.
    i went back and got the colour done, but as soon as the colour was done i was given a junior to dry and style my hair. it was the day of their christmas party and she was miles away and i actually had to ask her to pay attention at one stage as she was burning me. i could have made a better job of drying it myself and taken a quarter of the time. the only time she spoke was to try and sell me products for my hair. i was really dissappointed in the service, attitude and end result and i wouldnt step inside the door again....even if it was free! :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

phew, ranting on here arent we? That reminds me i need my roots done....I just get a neighbour to cut it and colour it myself.

i got a really sweet do in a shop (very expencive) ok everyone deep breath €200 cut style treatment highlights low lights (i had a troubled area) and two blow dries!
    it took two apointments(and i'm going back to get further work done) was very happy with the but cant remember the name of them....

if you go to central bank cross the road head up the street with jack and jones on it.
    you have the pen shop and then the coffee shop(with the guy eating the ice cream) its the next shop. i was so happy with it and i still am. but i want to go blonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

yeah...a "dont mess with the hair!" rant. what colour do you home job it? ive never tried a home blond job and id like to know what sort of results people get from the various brands please. im not brave enough to go messing with the head!! :D
    the half head of highlights i got in T&G was 210 or something like that. the full head was 260 aprox. i decided to go for the half head as it was my first time in the salon and had heard mixed reviews about T&G.mmmmostly about the odd haircuts they insist are trendy.....but their colour always seemed reasonable. WRONG!!

b blonde is good. but be very careful i had died black hair and had to b blonde it 4 times. but it looked good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

I'm a guy.. don't know if I'm allowed post here.. :P but I'm planning on blonding my hair.. I've got 'strawberry blonde' hair. Which is kinda red, but it's really brown. Anyway, I wanna know how people like it. I was planning on just getting random parts and bleaching them leaving random parts the original colour. Not just clumps, but kind ablending the blond and original colour. My hair's about2-3 inches long. Kinda just bushy really, and I got a cut and planned on putting the bleach in, but it was too short cause I wanted to have it looked 'grown out' cause I'm not a fan of the totally blonde thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭windowgazer

How much is it to get your hair cut in the Toni + Guy school on Clarendon street? Do you have to make an appointment?

Advertisement