Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Land Rover Freelander

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of buying a secondhand diesel Freelander. Good or bad idea? What's it like to drive? Is it good on fuel and is it reliable?

Your thoughts please....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

AlanD wrote:
    I'm thinking of buying a secondhand diesel Freelander. Good or bad idea? What's it like to drive? Is it good on fuel and is it reliable?

Your thoughts please....
    If you click the Search button up there /\ and type 'freelander' you will see several threads with strong opinions regarding this piece of under-engineered, over-priced, undriveable junk. You just got my opinion...

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They dont have a good reputation esp for niggly failings around trim, electrics, general reliability...

http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HTML/Freelander_problems.htm

http://www.freelanderclub.co.uk/gbaron1.htm

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Land+Rover_Freelander.html

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If you must have one, only consider the TD4 model which has a BMW engine. The the other diesel option, the Di, is the rover L-Series diesel which is basically an old perkins tractor engine with a turbo strapped on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Freelander: The vehicle the AA is called out to the most in the U.K. for roadside breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Thanks lads....

I thought Land Rover had sorted out their reliability issues with the later versions, perhaps not.

Off the list anyway. Something like an X-Trail could be more reliable and a better buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

X trail is class, my dad has one, packed full of kit n a much much better drive than the freelander(i used to work for landrover n drove them allot, possible the worst vehicle i've ever been in)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

My Uncle has a Freelander....can't count the amount of times I've passed his house & saw some other Land Rover parked on his driveway and I think he's bought a new one. But no, every time it's a courtesy car while his is in being repaired. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've first hand experience of Freelander TD4's and never had any problems. Has to be TD4 and obviously as late a model as can be afforded. The early ones had a lot of problems but 1999/2000 onwards should be Ok or at least have had any problems sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

A Freelander is a soccer moms jeep. If you want a jeep for work get something with a bit of power and height. If you want a jeep just for driving around in then don't bother, get a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭hiluxman

unklerosco wrote:
    X trail is class, my dad has one, packed full of kit n a much much better drive than the freelander(i used to work for landrover n drove them allot, possible the worst vehicle i've ever been in)
    lad, nvr mind ur x trail, a hilux is the way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a few of Freelanders on fleet - all destined to loose money. BMW engine or not, there are plenty of faults other than engine faults. The BMW engine is good, but the rest of the yoke is still a Freelander. You could get lucky and get a good one, but personally I'd chance my luck by buying a Lotto ticket - I've a better chance of winning the Lotto than getting a reliable Freelander.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

My better half has a '99 Freelander 1.8 petrol. Hasn't had any problems at all. Works very well offroad and pulling trailers (even the two combined!!!). As for the "soccer moms jeep", at motorsport events it tends to be the only 4x4 parked offroad amongst all of the Landcruisers and Navaros! Unlike a lot of Rav4s and their ilk, the Freelanders are a fulltime 4 wheel drive, and will work offroad.

Biggest problem with them is former owners not checking water levels and letting the engine overheat; these are people who really shouldn't be let on the road, after all, if they can't check the water, what about tyres and pressures?

Bear in mind that here on boards EVERYONE has driven EVERYTHING on the road, but just happen to always quote Top Gear or something similar.

If you're buying one, buy off a dealer if you can; it might cost a couple of quid extra, but will be worth it if the previous owner was an idiot.

Mileage on the petrol 5 door is 24mpg urban and about 31 rural (there or thereabouts). Diesel is probably quicker and cheaper to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

crosstownk wrote:
    I've a few of Freelanders on fleet - all destined to loose money. BMW engine or not, there are plenty of faults other than engine faults. The BMW engine is good, but the rest of the yoke is still a Freelander. You could get lucky and get a good one, but personally I'd chance my luck by buying a Lotto ticket - I've a better chance of winning the Lotto than getting a reliable Freelander.

mother bought a 2003 TD4., have to say its a nice car, and she has it zero problems yet wiht it. When you buy one, you just need to keep an eye on coolant levels etc, no more than any car. they have a dodgy rep, and i encouraged her not to buy it, but she loved the driving position, and the TD4 is a good unit. X trail might be a better option, and it has good reviews as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If you must have one, only consider the TD4 model which has a BMW engine. The the other diesel option, the Di, is the rover L-Series diesel which is basically an old perkins tractor engine with a turbo strapped on

........my father in law bought a new one in 2003, a TD4 ES model with the auto box !

A piece of cr4p !

He is very dissapointed with it. Loss of performance whilst on the way to a dealer to have some electrical gremlins sorted (rear PDC kept beeping), actually led to a new engine being fitted.

The A/C packed up 3 months later, then it started to get very smokey under acceleration. Had new injectors fitted and shortly after a turbo intercooler pipe.

He's never been happy with the lack of performance and now, at 48k miles they say it needs new shocks, brakes discs and pads all round. Total = €2500

Its never been off road and never towed anything !

He tried to get rid of it after 2 years and was offered a pittance for it everywhere he went !

I would avoid ALL versions and by the Nissan as suggested !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid. Unless you like waking up in the morning, looking out the window marvelling at the depreciation happening before your eyes, and having a little game with yourself trying to guess which fault will occur with the car today when you turn the key. Did I mention you should avoid a Freelander?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,341 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

hiluxman wrote:
    lad, nvr mind ur x trail, a hilux is the way to go!

And you revive a 2 year old thread with that contribution? Please don't do that again...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement