Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random-Access Files in Visual Basic 6

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can find some examples of Random-Access Files in Visual Basic 6?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Had you considered doing a search of MSDN for Random-Access Files in Visual Basic 6 before asking here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

Of course I had. I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    There's plenty of examples of Random-Access Files in Visual Basic 6 on MSDN, so if this is not exactly what you were looking for, you'll have to be more specific with your requirement here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've obviously tried that already. Look, if you don't want to help, you don't have to.

• Advertisement

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    I've obviously tried that already. Look, if you don't want to help, you don't have to.
    So far the only information that we have from you is that you are looking for pretty straight-forward examples of Random-Access Files in Visual Basic 6. If this is not the case we need more information if we are to help. Otherwise it simply looks like you're looking for spoonfeeding.

It's not that obvious, you should have said. Have a go at it and post some code perhaps, you'll get a much healthier response. Or just tell us what you are trying to do?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Jimmy_Jazz wrote:
    ...which is what?
    Are you looking for basic beginners info or more advanced stuff? Is there a particular thing you are trying to do?

Right. Here's what I need to do. The user will choose a username and password. Then, he/she will input his/her details (name, age, address etc.) into a form via textboxes and comboboxes. If he/she clicks on a "Save" command button, the details will be saved to a random-access file and the program will end. Later, the user will be able to enter in his/her username and password, the details will be retrieved from the random-access file, and be displayed in either a picture box, or on separate labels. I haven't made a final decision on the display yet. This sounds like it should be easy to do, but for some reason I'm having serious difficulty with it. I thought I'd be able to find an example that does this, but I can't. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it.

Not going into too much detail here but have a look at the File System Object which is perfect for your purposes and a good introduction to using COM objects within VB6 to boot. Here's a tutorial that may help to get you started as well.

• Advertisement

That tutorial was excellent. Thanks a lot.

Advertisement