Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online with Credit Card

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Anyone know why on Irish websites it is not possible to pay by direct debit rather than using a credit or Laser card? :confused:

In France and Germany, not owning a credit card does not disqualify you from buying online. It seems that Irish customers are fully dependent on their credit card. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

esperanza wrote:
    Anyone know why on Irish websites it is not possible to pay by direct debit rather than using a credit or Laser card? :confused:

In France and Germany, not owning a credit card does not disqualify you from buying online. It seems that Irish customers are fully dependent on their credit card. What do you think?

Too much stress to do things like that in ireland.... its far easier in europe....

why don't you get a laser card , none of the trouble that credit cards cause ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

I asked my bank for a Laser card and because I didn't have regular income into my account they refused. I did have regular income but not into my BOI account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Because the cost/effort of setting up direct debit arrangements with each of the banks would exceed the profits available in this relatively small market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

I took €200 out of my cc the other day via an ATM, I just looked at my account online and I got charged €3 for the withdrawal :( ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I took €200 out of my cc the other day via an ATM, I just looked at my account online and I got charged €3 for the withdrawal :( ?

Most credit cards have a "cash advance fee" for making withdrawals via bank branches/ATM's - check out the terms and conditions of your card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭ranDom_tAsk

Cheers BuffyBot i will, i won't be doing it again i tells ya :mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thats a big money earner for the credit card companys, plus the interest they charge on cash advances is higher than the interest they charge on purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

You do know that you're being charged interest (at the fairly high cc rates) on this withdrawal right now, don't you? You'll be charged interest from the date of withdrawal right up to the day you repay this amount to your cc account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

this is the reason i threw my cc pin no. away when i got it.. i don't really see what the point is in taking money at an atm from an account other than your own bank acc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:
    this is the reason i threw my cc pin no. away when i got it.. i don't really see what the point is in taking money at an atm from an account other than your own bank acc..

its for people who totaly run out of cash
    of course this is the kind of person that should'nt have a credit card in the first place
    but the cc companies don't care, more interest for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Well I have TSB atm Open24 card which is my current account one, it can't be used abroad which is really stupid.
    So for convenience I have to use my cc when i'm short of cash abroad, either that or bring a pile of cash in my wallet.
    I don't understand why tsb don't allow atm transactions abroad on the open24 one, my mam has a laser card and that can be used via cirrus on atms anywhere !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

D!ve^Bomb! wrote:

Once Chip and Pin is fully here, you're going to need the pin to make a purchase with the card. Probably not till early next year though

Advertisement