Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No Motor Tax

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi all

do any of ye know if i have valid grounds to contest a ticket for not having motor tax.

here's what happened, i got the ticket monday, paid that fine, then paid for my motor tax online yesterday. i printed out the receipt.

then today i got another ticket for not having motor tax. So can i contest the ticket on the basis of my receipt got having already paid for motor tax previously.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

you should be able to get off number two easily enough.

if you back taxed it you can get off number one if the ticket was issued by a traffic warden as opposed to a guard if you have a receipt for the back-tax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

It's at the discretion of the the Guard as far as I'm aware.

I got a ticket last month when my tax was a couple of days out of date - I explained that I hadn't had a chance to get to the tax office (couldn't do it online as the renewal notice had gone to an old address) & he told me to send in a copy of the disk to him at Angelsea St & he'd cancel the ticket which he duly did !.

If you've a genuine excuse & your tax was not months out of date, you'll usually find that they'll give you a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

It is worth noting however, that the offence is not displaying evidence of having paid motor tax, so the guard is within the law to let the ticket stand.
    see http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/driving_offences.html

- Call into the station of the guard who issued the ticket and ask nicely.

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Go to the garda station nearest to where you got the ticket and show them the ticket and the receipt.
    Provided the receipt shows you paid for your tax yesterday they may cancel the ticket issued today for you (show them the previous days ticket aswell and let them know that you've paid that).

I'd also photocopy the receipt to show you paid for you road tax and stick it on your windscreen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭beatsie

it was from a garda so i the first one was valid, plus i've already paid it.

it was just over a month out of date due to me being completely broke until this week.
    When my tax disc arrives it will be from March 1st onwards so maybe they will cancel it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think you will have much of a case for the first ticket as you didn't have your car taxed at the time you were issued the ticket. The motor tax office send out the form/reminder a number of weeks before it is due so you had plenty of time to pay it online before the begining of the month. You could play dum and ask the guards about this anyway but I doubt you will get away with this one.

The second ticket is a different kettle of fish. You had your car taxed but were waiting for the disk to arrive and you have the receipt to prove it. Take it to the station and this one should be dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

you are lucky,a bloke I know had his van confiscated for no tax on Monday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

you are lucky,a bloke I know had his van confiscated for no tax on Monday....
    Confiscations are very rare used only where someone has p***ed off the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Confiscations are very rare used only where someone has p***ed off the Gardai.

True. And they can only confiscate if the car is over 3 months out of tax iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

noipe - not ona commercial, 1 month out, but that meant no DOE test!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

A guy i know had his brand new Astra impounded by a garda cause he hadn't got it taxed yet. He had the car about 2 weeks at this point. He had pulled him over for speeding, and my mate gave him nothing but lip, therefore he ended up walking home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

delly wrote:
    A guy i know had his brand new Astra impounded by a garda cause he hadn't got it taxed yet. He had the car about 2 weeks at this point. He had pulled him over for speeding, and my mate gave him nothing but lip, therefore he ended up walking home.

well thats what happens, it pays to be nice sometimes. anyway u wont get anywhere shouting abuse to a garda, they are just doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agree, your friend's car was impounded because he could not keep his mouth shut. He probably would have been sent on this way and at worst told produce the disc at the garda station if he had just stayed calm and explained the suituation.

While we don't agree with some of the things they do or policies they have, showing a lack of respect to the garda will not make the suituation at hand any better.

Bet he learnt this lesson.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

hey beatsie - flash a bit of leg next time ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

beatsie

Exact same thing happened me last year (only one ticket though).
    You'll be fine if you bring the ticket, receipt etc along to the station.

Don't don't give any lip or they might impound you. :D

Advertisement