Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP Vs J2EE

Options
  • 09-03-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Working on my final year project at the moment.

In college we are encouraged to use J2EE but I think it would be a lot less hassle and work equally well if I just used PHP.

Is using J2EE just over complicating things or am I missing something?

We are supposed to use a JBoss Server with Lomboz EJBs, Jakarta Struts, TILES for JSPs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

been discussed Slashdot
    alot. What I got form their discussions was that j2ee is for big, very big projects that are made to be scaled up. This can be done with php too but it’s suppose to be harder and more work(havent used php). All comes down to the programmer in the end anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

So have you any opinion on which PHP architecture to use?

I'm seeing LAMP, iConnect and ZEND. I presume ZEND would have the most info available on the net seeing as it has been around for a while.

P.s. I like the sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nolaen

J2EE would look far better on your cv when you're looking for a graduate role. If you can get your hands on JBuilder Enterprise Edition it will make things alot easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

ballooba wrote:
    Is using J2EE just over complicating things or am I missing something?

I guess it depends on what the main purpose of your fyp is - to demonstrate that you can design an efficient solution using the most appropriate tools, or to demonstrate your grasp of complex technology which could be used in a larger project.

In the real world, its the same thing...I've had to over-engineer solutions to fit into "corporate standard" architecture where a much simpler technology/implementation would have done the job fine.

Ideally, assuming you do a writeup with it, you should discuss the consideration of technologies and why the chosen one was taken regardless of which you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

PHP is usually easier to create simple enough projects in. Usually if there was no need for Java (Some sort of datastructure or whatever required) then I'd go with PHP. However since its your final year project and assumeing you have little JSP, EJB Etc. experience I would reccomend going the Java route.

If you do it right you will learn a lot more hten if you had used PHP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

J2EE will look better on your CV. Also J2EE covers a whole range of technologies beyond Java. It would give you experience in Java, J2EE Patterns, JSP, Struts, Tiles, EJBs, JSF, SDO, Web services, XML/XSLT, etc,etc.

Just because it's easier doesn't mean it is the better project to pick.

... I haven't used PHP so I don't know how much involved it is, but I can tell you now you could spend a year on J2EE and only scratch the service of what is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

"In college we are encouraged to use J2EE but I think it would be a lot less hassle and work equally well if I just used PHP."
    J2EE would be the skill that would probably get you a job.

"Is using J2EE just over complicating things or am I missing something?"
    yes it is, but its to teach you how to use the technologies

"We are supposed to use a JBoss Server with Lomboz EJBs, Jakarta Struts, TILES for JSPs."

There is too much stuff to learn for 1 person.
    This means you will be able to hack/cut&paste together a working solution,
    but you wouldn't have indept knowledge of any one.

I would recommend, using just Jararta Struts:
    a)so you use your IDE(eclipse,netbeans ..)
    b)Apache Tomcat as your web app server(this is also a part of JBOSS)
    c)Struts(servlets,jsps,javabeans)
    notes
    1)get a top quaility projects going using just structs and know every detail of it.
    2)know where you could have used EJB,how to use them, advantages,why you didn't use them(project size didn't require them).
    3)struts is a frame work that forces good design, so it should be easy
    to see how you can design the project in sections and how those sections
    connect together.
    4)A large j2ee project, is usually made up of 5-15 people each doing
    a section of work.if you know one section inside out it would make you a
    stronger candidate for a job.rather than if you knew a small bit of every
    section.
    5)there are a hugh amount of grads who, say I know j2ee, when all
    they have done is cut&pasted code together and got it working on there
    own system setup.(which is in its self a difficukt task)
    But(from experience) they look dumb founded when you ask them a question
    on the simplest of topics relating to some aspect of the code.

Advertisement