Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless Home Network

• 09-03-2005 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭

I am going wireless in my home. Please advise on a decent Wireless Router (to connect to my existing ADSL modem), or a combined ADSL modem and wireless router.

I presume that I require

802.11g 54mbs standard
    WPA security

As this is just for a small house network, I presume that range will not be an issue. As long as the product I buy subscribes to these standards, can I assume that the brand does not matter, or are certain brands much better than others?

How well do the disparate brands work together? I presume if I buy an 802.11g Router from Belkin and Linksys Wireless PCI card they will work fine together???

Please advise.

Tnx,

Inqui

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hi,

I have a D-Link DI-624 that I bought with a PC Card for my laptop before Christmas from Dabs.co.uk (would never buy from them again but thats a different matter!)

Anyway no problems with the router, relatively easy to set up through a web based interface, with wizards and the like to help you through it. It has all the security stuff you mentioned WEP and WPA. Range is better than i expected and covers every bit of my house (even though the router is less than ideally placed in the back corner room, it should ideally be in the centre off the house up high). Speed is also good allowing me to stream dvds from a server easily.

As for mixing brands, my router and most new routers, has a thing called Super G. This gives a theoretical top speed of 108mbs as apposed to the standard 54mbs. To benefit from this extra speed you should buy all your wi fi gear from the same company. If you don't you probably won't benefit from the extra speed as it is not yet a standard.

I can't really comment on the ADSL bit as I have a wireless broadband service, but I you get any aul ADSL modem you can just plug it in to the WAN port on the back of the router and everything should work great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭dl

Recently setup wireless in the house with the 3Com 11g router with USB Nic from komplett see thread. I've also added a Belkin 11g Pci card to remote computer and a neighbour/friend is hooked up with an old 11b card - and no problems.

As Spartacus said unless you are looking for Super G and 108mbps I don't think you will have a problem, I think a lot of it could be a sales pitch. Anyhow a lot of manufacturers are offering similar spec products for similar prices.

Hope this info is of some use....

dl

Advertisement