Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essential PS2 Games???

Options
  • 09-03-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

original thread here

sorry for the double post, but some of the replies I'm getting on the playstation forum are pathetic at best.

What games make the PS2 worth owning? (only on PS2 games).

*edit* my communication skills seem to be hindering me.

PS2 exclusives - no multiformat - not games that are on the xbox / gamecube / PC

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rachet and Clank 1-3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

metal gear solid series (all of them even MGS1)
    pro evolution from 1 - 4
    grand theft auto 3, Vice City, and SA
    Timesplitters 2
    Burnout 1 - 3
    Ghost Recon 2 ( i find it good anyway)
    Gran Turismo 1 -3 (even ps1 versions)
    Medal of Honor: Frontline (dont buy Rising Sun)
    Call of Duty United Offensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Jakkass wrote:
    metal gear solid series (all of them even MGS1)
    pro evolution from 1 - 4
    grand theft auto 3, Vice City, and SA
    Timesplitters 2
    Burnout 1 - 3
    Ghost Recon 2 ( i find it good anyway)
    Gran Turismo 1 -3 (even ps1 versions)
    Medal of Honor: Frontline (dont buy Rising Sun)
    Call of Duty United Offensive
    You're killing me. What's so difficult about "PS2 only"?

PES3/4 are multiformat. GTA3 & VC are multiformat. Timesplitters 2 is multiformat. Burnout1-3 are multiformat, Ghost Recon 2 is multiformat, Medal of Honor: Frontline is multiformat, COD is multiformat.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    You're killing me. What's so difficult about "PS2 only"?

PES3/4 are multiformat. GTA3 & VC are multiformat. Timesplitters 2 is multiformat. Burnout1-3 are multiformat, Ghost Recon 2 is multiformat, Medal of Honor: Frontline is multiformat, COD is multiformat.
    Actually you wern't clear that you wanted PS2 exclusives, I read it that you just wanted PS2 games in general.

Rew wrote:
    Actually you wern't clear that you wanted PS2 exclusives, I read it that you just wanted PS2 games in general.
    my apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

ICO
    Parappa the rapper 2
    Twisted Metal Black

That's all I can think of that's not cross platform.....but then again my ps2 doesn't exactly get much use

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ico
    Gran Turismo 3 (well 4 now that it's out is more than likely better than 3)
    Jak & Dexter
    Devil May Cry (pretty good)
    Final Fantasy X (some don't like it, I did, visually amazing)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Final Fantasy X is by far the best game on the PS2. Just avoid FFX-2.
    Katamari Damacry (NTSC only but sequel out here soon)
    Zone of Enders 2 (first game is alright but the second is brilliant, a hideo kojima game).
    Gradius V (one of the best shmups ever created)
    Maximo 1 + 2
    Contra Shattered Soldier (Alien Hominid is better but Shattered Soldier is great for some old school bastard hard side scrolling shooter action)
    ICO (Simply stunning, buy it now!)
    Grandia 2 (great fun RPG)
    Kingdom Hearts (more beat'em up than RPG, still brilliant)
    Silent Hill 2-3 (haven't played 4 yet, 3 is okay but 2 is the best in the series)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

The best cd for the ps2 is the swap magic 2.2 :D

• Advertisement

I played a little Rez last night - absolutely awesome - haven't started playing Ico yet as I don't have a memory card yet. Keep the suggestions coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

where did you find eco re*ac*tor?

sound_wave wrote:
    where did you find eco re*ac*tor?
    Ico - I found it on an elctronic donkey... wait... no sorry, it was a mule.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Grandia 2 (great fun RPG)
    Ahh... but that was on the Dreamcast as well... Was there anything added for the PS2 version? I wouldn't mind playing through that game again...

I'll have to add Ape Escape 2 to the list. The Ape Escape games are probably the only game to make proper use of the Dual Shock controller. You have to run around with a big butterfly net trying to catch monkeys... it's the best concept ever... You use one control stick to move and the other to swing the butterfly net and also to control any of the other useful gadgets that you have at your disposal...

I wish I had a monkey radar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Ico - I found it on an elctronic donkey... wait... no sorry, it was a mule.

ahhhhhhhh, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Ahh... but that was on the Dreamcast as well... Was there anything added for the PS2 version? I wouldn't mind playing through that game again...

I'll have to add Ape Escape 2 to the list. The Ape Escape games are probably the only game to make proper use of the Dual Shock controller. You have to run around with a big butterfly net trying to catch monkeys... it's the best concept ever... You use one control stick to move and the other to swing the butterfly net and also to control any of the other useful gadgets that you have at your disposal...

I wish I had a monkey radar....

Ape Escape is fun and uses the Dualshock nicely,

You'd probably like Katamari Damacy, you get to drive a ball of playdoh using the twin analogue sticks as tank controls.

Unreal fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

The entire Metal Gear Solid series. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, is an essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ivylooloo

To anyone who liked ICO:
    Not sure if you have heard yet, but the creators of ICO are developing a game called Wanda and the Colossus. It isn't a sequel, but has the same visual style as ICO, which was part of the appeal for me. There isn't much information about it yet, just a few screen shots and it isn't coming out for a while (probably not until winter here in the states) but it looks awesome! Check out screenshots if you have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

ivylooloo wrote:
    To anyone who liked ICO:
    Not sure if you have heard yet, but the creators of ICO are developing a game called Wanda and the Colossus. It isn't a sequel, but has the same visual style as ICO, which was part of the appeal for me. There isn't much information about it yet, just a few screen shots and it isn't coming out for a while (probably not until winter here in the states) but it looks awesome! Check out screenshots if you have time.
    It's going to be called Shadow of the Colossus in Europe. Screenshots/Videos

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

killzone, to whet your fps appetite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm very close to buying a PS2 so I can play San Andreas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

San Andreas and Silent Hill really. Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy too for me, but they're both acquired tastes. Killzone is very, very good, but repetitive. Really what makes the PS2 isn't the PSonly titles, just that there are very few non-PS2 titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
    now thats a brilliant game one of the best fps around on the ps2 way better than the **** killzone

i wanted to rent out Time splitters on the xbox but it wasnt in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
    now thats a brilliant game one of the best fps around on the ps2 way better than the **** killzone

and just rented it out friday
    splinter cell choas theory brilliant game too

They are both out and better on the Xbox.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

killzone, to whet your fps appetite.

Don't bother. It's unoriginal and just plain average. It's not terrible just that there are far better fps games available on the PS2.

Was playing Devil May Cry 3 today. Have to say that it is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They are both out and better on the Xbox.
    Loving TS on the GC myself...

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Was playing Devil May Cry 3 today. Have to say that it is awesome.
    when is that out in xtra vision

Last week 2 days ago :)

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Last week 2 days ago :)
    what :mad: i rang up my local xtra vision store they said it wasnt in ****ing idiots

Dante here i come

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

The only reason i got a PS2 for was GT4, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 and ICO. I've found for every 1 game that is brilliant, there are 50 rubbish titles. Swap Magic is also a great *game*m i don't know what i would do without it.

Advertisement