Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Bayern Munich

• 09-03-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

The Arsenal fans have all been mighty quiet on boards the last few days, in the words of Delia, "COOMMMMMMMME ON, Lets be havin you!!".

Any predictions? I reckon Arsenal have a great chance, scoring two is far from being beyond them. It all depends on (assuming they can manage the two goals) whether or not their defence can handle the Bayern attack, and to be honest it'll be a struggle.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hard one to call, Arsenal play very well at Highbury but the defence is cat poor so you are always liable to conceed a goal, but having that away goal from Munich could be vital.
    I predict a 2-1 win for Arsenal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Senderous(sp) is playing in defence with Toure so I would think Arsenal are out.......no Campbell in defence and the whole defence falls to pieces!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bayern are very hard to break down, extremely hard in fact. (though not as hard as Milan :eek: )

Arsenal will have to be at their very best to beat them, but with The Nonflying Dutchman back in the ranks, they will be a better prospect.

Still seriously dodgy at the back however.

No, I think 3-1 is too much to come back from, they might win on the night, but not by enough to go through. I can see Bayern scoring at least one, which will wipe out the away goal Arsenal have. A lot depends on which Terry Henry turns up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Henry generally plays better for Arsenal at home, so I think we might just be in for a great performance from him tonight. Sorting out the defence is Arsenals main priority, and I think the midfield will have to do a lot of defending. Arsenal generally play with one defensive and three attacking midfielders, so the onus will be on one if not two of the more attack-minded players in the midfield to get back and cover.

Which game are the neutrals gonna watch live? I'm torn... Slightly leaning towards this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'm going to watch this one too.

For two reasons.

1. Great display of football as Arsenal get back in to it and go through

or

2. Another comedy night like the first leg :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I have a bet on that Arsenal progress and Liverpool dont - I actually feel confident about it.

Hyzepher

What were your odds?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Big night for the big players of arsenal but the odds are against them cause they have a fool of keeper and have no solid back four. I could see arsenal scoring two but keeping out makay, balack et al is another question altogether.

Big Big game for vieria and henry they simply have to perform to have a chance, not impossible at all but its going to be hard as I rate munich very highly.

Hopefully reyes will start on the left as Pires has been **** this season. Vieria and flamini to start in the middle and ljundburg on the right is a good midfield.
    No need to say anything about the strikers as their record speaks for themselves.

Just a big question mark over the defence!

Im hopeing but i cant see it unfortunatley. I hope im wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err not optimistic at all. I can see Arsenal scoring but I can also see Bayern scoring as well. We are out after the first games performance.

Makay is out!
    Big Loss to munich but with balack back it will more than make up for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Hopefully we can somehow keep it together at the back tonight. I'll go for Arsenal winning 5 - 2 and going through!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Tbh depends which Arsenal turns up , they can beat Bayern very easily if they play the invincible football.

Bayern have lost nearly 10 games away this season and conceded 2 or more on 7 occasions. I would like to see Arsenal play well and win as thats damn nice footie to watch. Just hopes its a good game atm i watching that over Real and Juve :eek:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The Arsenal fans have all been mighty quiet on boards the last few days, in the words of Delia, "COOMMMMMMMME ON, Lets be havin you!!".

Don't encourage them FFS , there will be no shortage of them if they get a result tonight.

Arsenal have an uphill battle but have the talent to go through . Depends which Arsenal shows up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

im quietly confident but who knows. im positive that we will score at some stage but whether we do it enough to win is another thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

can't see Arsenal doing it unless they manage to get a few early goals, if they go behind Henry will start his sulking and they'll give up, their defence isn't exactly rock solid and even Arsenal fans have little faith in the keeper now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

Everyone is mentioning the usual suspects when it comes to who needs to perform, but personally I think a lot rests on Philippe Senderos' broad shoulders. He's been coming on a lot recently and will need a real coming-of-age night tonight If Arsenal are to have any chance.

I heard Arsenal have only kept about 1 clean sheet in their last 20 games without Sol Campbell, which shows how much Senderos needs to perform. Makaay being out is a boost. At the opposite end, I'm confident Arsenal will score tonight, it's extremely rare that they are kept out at home.

Not particularily confident, but let's see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hi

if you have NTL anlogue the game is on SAT 1 (german tv) here in Waterford dunno about Dublin/Galway.

Mike.

Sanderos mom atm had more touches than entire team :eek:

Arse getting raped at home , bayern about to score soon. Viera needs help in the middile getting outnumbered to quickly Flamini not good enough shame Edu or Gilberto not around they needed in middle.

kdjac

Thats a peno!!!!

Henry charged into box beat at least 5 players then lost the ball but it fell too someone who was hacked down.

Shocking refeering, Andy Gray spot on hes a joke.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Hyzepher wrote:
    I have a bet on that Arsenal progress and Liverpool dont - I actually feel confident about it.

Hyzepher
    Still confident ? I would imagine you would get even better odds now but a non starter as far as a winning bet is concerned.

• Advertisement

1-0 Henry what a superb goal

thats class jaysus superb clinical finish. Arse upping tempo second half, good to see, bayern damn hard to breakdown, that goal was badly needed. Pires and Fabregas on. Decent game when arse fans post later about how the ref is a ****wit they so right :D

Sanderos still MOM by a mile.
    kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

KdjaC wrote:
    1-0 Henry what a superb goal

Decent game when arse fans post later about how the ref is a ****wit they so right :D
    kdjac

LOL those Gooners are so predictable. ;)

Good save by Leahman to keep them in it,

Good second half Unlucky to go out really.

oh well

if we had pires for the whole game i think we would have done it. we just did not perform at all for the first 40 minutes and reyes was bloody hopeless

senderos was fantastic, cygan does not need to bother turning up at the club from now on thank you very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

oh well

if we had pires for the whole game i think we would have done it. we just did not perform at all for the first 40 minutes and reyes was bloody hopeless

senderos was fantastic, cygan does not need to bother turning up at the club from now on thank you very much
    Dunno about Pires really. Bergkamp, Ljungberg and Reyes were all very, very disappointing.

Senderos' performance is a definite bonus though, apart from the tired back-header at the end he was an absolute monster, MOTM by miles. Great stage to showcase his abilities, I've heard him described as Tony Adams reincarnated - now I see why!

Ironic that the defence was good tonight but that we barely created a handful of chances. Ljungberg, Reyes and Bergkamp for absolute ****e tonight. They seemed frightened of Bayern. The number of times Ljungberg got the ball and turned backwards aaaahhhh! Arsenal's style is one touch passes at pace. Last night they took an eternity to bring the ball forward. Henry was the only forward player to perform. I'm pissed about the result, we could have gone through if the team showed a bit more agression on the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

great goal, superb pass from cole but where the hell was he in the 1st half, all the match for that matter. bergkamp was poor aswell. senderos should be getting the nod before cygan too imo

ljunberg was very very poor in both legs and i have a feeling he might be getting replaced this summer with wright-phillips or he might eve stick fabregas out on the right

the problem was we were too conservative in the first half and it was all down the middle. when we started to play out wide in the second half thats when we started to get places

how did we play so poorly in the first leg ?

but sure tis over now and unless we can win the fa cup its gonna be a trophyless season

Its a bit harsh to be blaming Henry. He provide practically all of Arsenal's chances. He didn't get much decent ball though. Bergkamp had a total shocker. Quincy really should have come one. He seems one of the only Arsenal player atm that wants to do something with the ball at his feet.
    Mossy Monk wrote:
    great goal, superb pass from cole but where the hell was he in the 1st half, all the match for that matter. bergkamp was poor aswell. senderos should be getting the nod before cygan too imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

vorbis wrote:
    Its a bit harsh to be blaming Henry. He provide practically all of Arsenal's chances. He didn't get much decent ball though. Bergkamp had a total shocker. Quincy really should have come one. He seems one of the only Arsenal player atm that wants to do something with the ball at his feet.

oh god no, i was referring to where the hell was ashley cole all game

• Advertisement

Great goal by Henry, he was the only forward player to give it a go.
    Reyes was worryingly crap again. He needs a good end of season imo or else his future at arsenal may be in doubt but id still keep him for another season.

Rumours are ripe that him and Henry dont see eye to eye hence reyes recent crap form.

Sendores should be 3rd choice for now on behind campbell and toure. Cygan can pack his bags. He is still very young for a centre back and expect him to have a few more mares before he matures into a top class defender. Time is on his side though and id still bring in a top class replacement for cygan.

Ljundburg was also disappointingly bad and vieira wasnt his best. Im starting to wonder should we have sold him for that 20 odd million. Im sure that he will hear the same from the arsenal supporters and maybe has stromer next season but his perfomances this season are just not good enough.

There is always next season. School boy errors in the first leg cost us but Munich are a good side and I think they will go far in this comp.

Advertisement