Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some questions...

Options
  • 09-03-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

OK, so here's the deal. My exchange (Curragh Camp) is on the list for imminent DSL enabling, so I would like to pose some questions to the more knowledgeable folks here in anticipation of my line failing...
    First off, what is the absolute distance limit for Eircom's radsl? What is the record (or is it known) for the farthest successful DSL line in the Republic? I am pretty sure I will fail on that alone, being 6.5km by road from said exchange. I currently have ISDN (Hi-speed, hah!), so I presume the line itself is reasonable, though I know even for short distance suitability for ISDN is irrelevant wrt DSL. Assuming that I am too far, what is the possibility of Eircom adopting a BTesque "suck it and see" policy wrt line tests, even on a once off basis? Does anyone know what Eircom's current noise limit is, and is there any way to find out my actual line test results once done?
    Assuming all of that fails, there is another option. IBB have a 3.5Ghz license for FWA in Newbridge, and they say they will have a service there sometime this year. I am about 7km from the notional centre of Newbridge as the crow flies. The question is, how sensitive are the LOS/distance requirements for Ripwave/BreezeMAX et al? I ask these questions here because I can't get any decent info from IBB about this, and Eircom won't say anything at all till the exchange is actually live.

Regards,
    Derek.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As you suspect, I'd say there's a snowballs chance in hell of you getting DSL. Though maybe I'm wrong on this. Have you checked with Smart, are they going to unbundle that exchange? ADSL2+ may go farther than RADSL.

As for getting the results of your line test from Eircom, I don't think they give this out to anyone, except maybe the other re-sellers.

I can't see Eircom adopting a suck-it and see policy as you say. They apply a simple pass/fail criteria to your line check. If you fail, though. If you manage to get someone helpfull on the phone though you may have better luck.

Don't know anything about IBB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If you can see the IBB mast then fine ..probably.

6.5 sounds too far for Eircom who will never adopt suck it and see as per BT . BT will also visit your house for free to try fixing the line where eircom will charge €50 to come out and tell you that they can (read that as they will) do nothing for you.

Even with ADSL2 I cannot see them increasing that limit of theirs beyond 5km , if the cable is underground they may have used 500m lengths instead of 50m lengths to reach you and you may just possibly pass seeing as you have isdn and fewer joins and junctions on your run . IIRC they buried cable on the Curragh plain .

If you do pass and get it you are a national distance record champion and we will all do the 'not worthy' routine at your very feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Well, I know the cable is underground pretty much if not 100% all the way here. I also know it is new copper that was laid all the way (in 2001 I think) for this line, as there was not enough capacity to move my ISDN line at the time. I know this because I met the Eircom guys as they were laying it. Whether it's enough to affect a miracle is another thing... We shall see. I had initially read that the exchange would be done in March, and an initial call to Eircom confirmed this, but another call to clarify the position on testing ISDN lines (not a problem they say), it seems it won't happen till July/August. :-(. Gives time for a more sensible attitude to testing to develop. <- hopeless optimist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 digiworld

why dont you try digiweb for either their wireless system which you dont need phoneline or their dsl service stop wasteing your time chaseing eircom or bt when you need to do is post your details to [.cg: email address removed] and i will have someone make contact with you early next week garantee problem solved within next 14days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

digiworld, I've removed the email address you specified, because it looks suspicously like you're pimping for business, but I can't tell for sure. Please clarify your position. Are you involved with any ISP or a reseller of any ISP?

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Yes, that post does look a bit fishy, but just to answer this:
    digiworld wrote:
    why dont you try digiweb?

I have contacted Digiweb, but if Eircom DSL is unlikely, the Digiweb is nigh on impossible. Their nearest FWA sites are Carlow and Portlaoise. Both of these are approx 20km from here, and LOS is very unlikely (I know for a fact that there is a hill between here and Carlow). They say they will try when these sites go live sometime in the next month hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath. Satellite is _not_ an option for me (from anyone). Latency is just too high apart from anything else. I do remote Unix admin, which means loads of ssh terminal sessions over a VPN, which is exactly what satellite doesn't do well, if at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

http://www.clearwire.ie/ ...maybe by June

their licences are here

http://www.comreg.ie/FWABroadband/FWABroadband.asp

as Net2Cell .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Just to clarify, digiworld has said he/she is a reseller of DigiWeb. I have reason to believe DigiWeb do not condone this.

digiworld, commercial promotion of products or services are not allowed on this forum. The primary reason is because Boards.ie owners feel they should not have to pay for the resources required to advertise a commercial venture, and that any such advertising should be paid for. So no more pimping! Contribute, by all means, but no pimping. Incidentally, any future pimping will be greeted by an ban, which you are free to object to, to the admins/owners.

So, back on topic please kids ...

Dero, Sponge Bob has given you more advice than I could possibly, but I hope you do get your BB soon!!

.cg

Advertisement