Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAM question

• 09-03-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I'm just curious as to how much RAM that you lot have and how WOW runs for you. The reason I ask is I have 256MB and mostly the game runs beautifully but the moment an alliance player(I play Horde) is on the scene the lag is sometimes unbelievable. A few times it works ok but there have been times when the game will freeze and when it starts again I am dead with not a sign of anybody, except for their picture at top of screen. Just curious. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

1024mb of pc2700 and it runs so sweet its nearly poetic.

I really cannot even begin to comprehend how you are running WoW on 256mb of ram. Are you running WinXP aswell? If you are you need to get out now and buy some more ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

1 gig ram here also. Game runs very smoothly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'm running 256MB at the mo, I got another 165 but it was dodgy and crashed a lot so I removed it again, it did however improve the framerate bigstyle. Ironforge is the worst because there's so much going on, most of the rest of the world is playable. download this:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

You can use it to identify and kill unnecessary processes before you start the game and speed it up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

1 gig of ram, game runs perfectly. If you can afford more ram I'd say it'd make a hell of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Joe,
    What speed is your Ram running at, I might be able to source you some more at a very fair price, Its back in my home town, but if needed I could arrange something. I keep some spare at home hence its no bother to me either way but I like wow peeps so I said I would suggest it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

1 GB on my laptop, also runs beautifully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

1GB aswell, runs very nicely. 1GB is pretty much the norm for games nowadays. 256MB wouldn't really be enough for a lot of new games (like HL2, Doom3).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

512mb... landing in Ironforge is a nightmare, I have to shut down antivirus and a lot of programs I don't need... its always playable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Running XP Home or Pro on anything below 512Megs is akin to pouring salt on your eyes.

1Gig is the defacto recommendation for a gaming machine these days.
    It'll be 1.5Gig in 6 months.
    2x 1Gig PC3200+ DIMMs in dual-channel is a nice solution.
    Be aware that putting more than 3.5Gigs into a standard 32-bit machine is asking for trouble, particularly if you have alot of peripheral hardware and a large AGP arpature.
    Your system won't be able to address all the physical ram and the memory address ranges for the other hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 JohnMcMahon

I was running 512 till recently and had the same performance-hit problems when serious PVP battles broke out.

Recently upgraded my machine and at 3gigs of RAM tis a very sweet thing indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Running with 1.5 gig atm, but I hate landing in IF, but i have alot of things running in the background generally so that might be it.

The idea of running it on 256 is painful to me, why would you do that to yourself with RAM being as cheap as it is? 5 years ago I'd understand not having alot of memory, but not nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

768mb here
    Landing in Ogr or going into the AH slows up a bit but everything else is grand.

Advertisement