Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 2 called the Xenon and it's specs

• 09-03-2005 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭

gamespy have just put up the current specs for the "Xenon" and it's a big F U to all you ps3 freaks. Long live the Xbox

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html?fromint=1

Will you buy the Hard Drive or the No Hard Drive version 34 votes

HD
    0% 0 votes
    No HD
    100% 34 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

fanbois eh?

The strange thing is that both the Xenon and the PS3 have similar hardware;
    The Xenon has multiple Power-based cores, the PS3 has the Cell which is a Power-based core mastering 4-8 SPU cores.

Twill be interesting to see what developers use the SMP power for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

not forgetting the dual DVD Vs Blu ray situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Shame the harddrive is going to cost extra. Where are you supposed to store all of your custom music? Memory cards better be cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

why is the hard drive extra i thought it was one of the xboxs main selling points hardware wise over the playstation.

there are rumours of 3 versions one without a HD one with (more expensive) and an almost PC version although the reports on the third version are a little shakey. the reason for the HD/no HD is to get a wider market of ppl ie. those that can't afford whatever the HD price will be and i think it's a very clever marketing stratagy if and only if you will be able to buy the HD sesperate afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

viva lá revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

I cant see em releasing three different types of the console cause it would push up production costs big time with different factories for them all. thye made enough of a loss on the xbox as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

The Three consoles could all be manufactured as a basic box with modules just slotted in as required.. The 3 models do not have to be totally different in appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

When was the last time an addon like a hard drive sold in significant numbers for a console though? I can't think of any that have sold in any significant number. I'm not sure what microsoft are playing at here, it makes no sense to me to have one of the best features of the x-box removed and sold as a seperate addon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

I guess they are probably thinking of cost, but I can't really see it happening. There will most likley be just one type of console, either with or without a HD, it would make it too complicated for game designers to make a console game for what is essentially 2 or 3 different systems, game development would suffer and take a lot longer, hence giving an advantage to sony on the game development time.

There is big talk that tha HDD add on will offer similar functionality to that of an Ipod or other branded Mp3 player. If this was the case, and was competitively priced, it would sell alot...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

im afraid since the xbox 2 is coming before the PS3 the PS3 will have much greater specs

isnt power pc the mac processing units (have microsoft got rid of intel :eek: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

since when did which console was more powerful matter? current ps2 v xbox for eg. xbox being the more powerful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It doesnt make much difference to the Ps2 owners cos they just jump on the popular bandwagon most of the time, but what gave the X-box the sales was greatly due to increased specs. If the X-box was the exact same as the Ps2 - It would have flopped, or at least been totally run out of the market.

It might not matter to the playstation at this stage. But to the xbox it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Jakkass wrote:
    im afraid since the xbox 2 is coming before the PS3 the PS3 will have much greater specs

isnt power pc the mac processing units (have microsoft got rid of intel :eek: )

Just because its coming later does not equal better specs

The Power PC processor is developed by IBM (wo are also developing the PS3 Cell chip and the Nintendo Revolution chip)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I love this predicting which console will be superior based on hazy, rumoured specs while less than a handful of next-generation games have been announced.

The zealots are starting early this year, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

they cant change the specs of a machine so late! the ps3 specs are pretty much set in stone id say cause any further changes would put a delay on it. tbh i can see playstation losing its tops spot in this next generation of consoles once microsoft dont go overboard with price. i still think that nintendo have the best games but it wont sell as well. they need to release before ps3 if they are to stand a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

danniemcq wrote:
    gamespy have just put up the current specs for the "Xenon" and it's a big F U to all you ps3 freaks. Long live the Xbox

http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/microsoft-xbox/594331p1.html?fromint=1

Yeah FUK you too. XBOX sucks major ass compared to us. Gamecube is good too

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

frank4075 wrote:
    Yeah FUK you too. XBOX sucks major ass compared to us. Gamecube is good too

Real civilised chat :)

As an xbox owner and fan they already have one pre-order waiting. Both will be amazing - any you can guarantee that anyone who owned the original xbox is going to fork out the extra for the HDD. Too used to having it not to..I know i will.

Seemigly they plan to launch Halo 3 on the PS3 launch day too.. Nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

So, the sleeping giant in green and black can be as sly as Sony :D

• Advertisement

'http://www.happypuppy.com/featured5/gdcplayer.html')

it's a big file but it seems to confirm the HD thingy

if the link doesn't work go to www.happypuppy.com and you should se the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Just on the XBox 2, has anybody seen the new games. I have just seen Condemned and The Godfather. I was looking at the Godafther in this months EGM and then flicked on to Resi Evil 4 on the GC. There is not that much of a difference in graphical capabilities. I mean I know that graphics aren't everything but I'm just to a fairly dramatic leap forward each generation. Maybe because, with games like Doom3, HL2 and Far Cry, PC games are continually improving gfx, helping to bridge the gap b/w each generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Interesting debate over the HD/NON HD options. A guy I work with, his brother is a programmer for ubi soft in england and was at that gamer convention. He was telling us the xbox 2 will ship with an option for HD or not but its completely removable in a server type way. The non HD version will be the exact same system only a flap where the hd should be, you will be able to buy the hd as a seperate add on and it will just slot straight into the front like a cartridge.

Interesting in the poll nobody has opted for the non hd based version! MS pay attention to market research!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Incidentally to the PS -v- XBOX argument. Its well known, even the ps2 extremists will admit that the xbox is a vastly superior console. The only thing is the sucess of the playstation ment people went blindly from that to the ps2 the rest of us looked around a found something else.

Is it just me or do the specs for the PS3 and XBOX 2 look very similar? Rumour is that MS are going to sneak the XB out for a christmas launch!!!

The thing about Sony though and from talking in work I'm not the only one who has though this. The future I don't think looks well for them. Their business plan is a mirror image of another company who disappeared from the console market. Sega. They released a console and then different variations of the same machine, mega drive, mega drive 2 etc... Sony are doing the same. The PS2 has had no where near the same penetration as the original playstation and I predict is MS get the xb2 right the ps3 again will be a drop in sales. I can see MS being the overall winner here.

But as we know games are what also counts. Even the dreamcast was a superior console to the PS2 but the difficulty in programming games for it ment software vendours walked away and thus it had a pretty pathetic software library.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Developers are being instructed to plan their games for high-definition. The baseline is 720p at 1280x720 for gameplay and video clips, 16:9 aspect ratio
    Not happy about that.

I've a big 4:3 TV for the simple reason I don't like widescreen. And a "letterboxed" game would be crap.

I refuse to buy a SILVER TELEVISION :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

microsoft have doubled bungie's employee numbers to get a new halo game out for the end of this year. yes, for the xenon launch.

it reeks of the phrase "one trick pony", but that might be the sony fanboy in me escaping...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I refuse to buy a SILVER TELEVISION :mad:

Then buy a black one :confused:

The majority of people have a widescreen TV. Majority rules.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Then buy a black one :confused:
    Have you been in a TV shop recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Thread locked due it's fanboy nature and ensueing personal insults. I recommend reading the charter.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement