Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL & their crazy false advertising

• 09-03-2005 8:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

[RANT]

Got a letter from NTL today, inviting me to "Sign up to the fastest broadband in Ireland"

Interesting... that "fastest" was 1.5Mb/s
    I thought Smart had a 2Mb/s offering,
    or was it that there are more than just consumer BB products, and it does go over 1.5Mb/s for commercial BB.

Thinking about going on a whiner to the Office of Director of Consumer Affairs regarding false advertising. Worth my while?
    I just want to hurt NTL - they've screwed me over 3 too many times.

[/RANT]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

smart bb doesnt exist yet, or isnt available anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Chalk wrote:
    smart bb doesnt exist yet, or isnt available anyway.
    exactly. ntl is the fastest right now. i think they even have 2mb

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

[RANT]

Got a letter from NTL today, inviting me to "Sign up to the fastest broadband in Ireland"

Interesting... that "fastest" was 1.5Mb/s
    I thought Smart had a 2Mb/s offering,
    or was it that there are more than just consumer BB products, and it does go over 1.5Mb/s for commercial BB.

Thinking about going on a whiner to the Office of Director of Consumer Affairs regarding false advertising. Worth my while?

[/RANT]

Its a funny old world - there are loads of people who on here who are dying to get that letter!

Anyways doesnt some crowd in Waterford offer 9mb on a local cable system?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Of course they would Dub45. Anybody would love to get off Eircon's weak-ass package for somewhat decent bb. Now if whoever buy's out the NTL network here and improves the availability, speeds, and get's rid of the stupid cap....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

[RANT]
    [/RANT]

Well, this offer is the fastesst option available to you, SmartBB are taking order, but it is provisional on Eircon complying with LL unbundling, which they are contesting in the courts...

There is some Cable BB is Waterford and Longford which is faster than NTL, but this is not available to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Well, this offer is the fastesst option available to you, SmartBB are taking order, but it is provisional on Eircon complying with LL unbundling, which they are contesting in the courts...

DigiWeb offer 2MB on their BizJet Enterprise and this is open to home users - but the monthly cost of this is €169 + VAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Gosh wrote:
    DigiWeb offer 2MB on their BizJet Enterprise and this is open to home users - but the monthly cost of this is €169 + VAT
    and by the sounds of it youd have to sign up with digiweb aswell,
    who from the comments around the bb forum deserve to burn in hell or something equally fittng

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Gosh wrote:
    It doesn't matter how much it costs - I can get a product with a faster speed. That means that NTL's "Unique Selling Point" and their main advertising point is not true.

Gosh wrote:

That's pretty much identical to eircoms buisness enhanced package by the sound of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gosh wrote:
    Any business connection is open for supply to home users. The difference with advertising is the target market. NTL are allowed say their's is the fastest, because it is the fastest, in the consumer market. Anything else is in the business market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and they'll probably say (correct at time of going to print) to save their asses say if you want to complain about it when smart BB is out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Does IBB's 2048/2048 not count? :)

I thought I saw at some stage that EsatBT were doing 3mb down for business customers - ridiculously expensive no doubt but I thought I saw that somewhere. *goes back to dreamworld*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

IBB do a 3Mb And as stated the place in Dungarven do 9Mb cable

Wish I lived in Dungarvan, the lucky bastards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

seamus wrote:
    Any business connection is open for supply to home users. The difference with advertising is the target market. NTL are allowed say their's is the fastest, because it is the fastest, in the consumer market. Anything else is in the business market.
    But it is NOT the fastest, thats the point. They simply do not have the fastest broadband product available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

double yawn!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Why would you complain?

NTL are in your area, go hook up.

NTL is the Best in Ireland from what I've heard. Would you really want to turn down the opportunity to get hooked onto their network?

They'd still have faster uploads thans Smart aswell, NTLs 1.5mb gives 256kb up. Smart seem to be only offering 128kb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But it is NOT the fastest, thats the point. They simply do not have the fastest broadband product available
    They do, to residential consumers. The ad is marketed at residential consumers, therefore it's valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

I just signed up to the NTL basic cable tv package, the digital tv service and the internet service and it's going to cost me 10 euros for the first 3 months. Basically free installation on ntl digital at the moment and free installation on the broadband service too plus you get the first 3 months free and the 1st year for the basic cable tv free with broadband. The 10 euros is for the digital tv. After the first 3 months then i'll downgrade the internet package to the normal medium speed one and start paying for that. Seems to be a very good deal they have going on at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭eirmail

Someone should email the Advertising Standards Authority of Ireland info@asai.ie , Cable Surf In dungarvan have the fastest Broadband product in Ireland priced suitably for the home user.It is as simple as that , other companies have faster products marketed at businesses but that point does not necesserily have to be raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Well if you're doing that you might as well notify them of Smart Broadband's claim to be four times faster than other broadband providers. That's false and misleading too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Well if you're doing that you might as well notify them of Smart Broadband's claim to be four times faster than other broadband providers. That's false and misleading too.

Guys NTL offer the fastest "Cable" Broadband Package around ............. they consider ADSL a different product........... this is thier opt out !!

Guys back to basics anything under 2mb should not even be advertised as Broadband !!

It should be noted that in their ads they state that their package is 4 times faster than STANDARD broadband (512kb). NTL isn't standard but most other providers only offer speeds similar to that.

Advertisement