Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help with a Java Project (collage).

Options
  • 09-03-2005 8:52pm
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working on a team project in collage with 3 other people and we are stumped on a problem at the moment.

Basically we are building a database for alarm companys customers. We are required to include GUI's, file access linked list etc. We have each section working on its own. Basically the problem is we are inserting data into a GUI but we are unable to send the data to the linked list for storage.

If anyway has any idea's or has suggestions I will post up the code we are using (don't have to hand now). If you could give me some advice as this problem is driving the 3 of us nuts.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

*cough* college *cough*
    Anyway, Im not sure what you want. Are you trying just to save the data from your GUI form to the database?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

kbannon wrote:
    *cough* college *cough*
    Anyway, Im not sure what you want. Are you trying just to save the data from your GUI form to the database?

He has stated that its for college already and he also states that they are unable to get the GUI to work correctly with the back end. I find it highly frustateing that when I post for help that I get people posting assumeing I want them to write my projects for me.

As for the actual problem. Are you able to get anything stored at all or is it just the data into the linked lists? Are you using anything like MVC?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

damnyanks, I think you misinterpreted kbannon's remark. It was a spelling correction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Eh DamnYanks... How do you spell college?

damnyanks wrote:
    He has stated that its for college already and he also states that they are unable to get the GUI to work correctly with the back end. I find it highly frustateing that when I post for help that I get people posting assumeing I want them to write my projects for me.

As for the actual problem. Are you able to get anything stored at all or is it just the data into the linked lists? Are you using anything like MVC?
    my reference to college was to correct his typos not to berate him for asking for help!
    The 2nd part of my reply was asking for additional info so I could try and help them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Pinhead

Azza wrote:
    Basically the problem is we are inserting data into a GUI but we are unable to send the data to the linked list for storage.

I'm going to assume you're entering the data into Textfield's and saving it into a linked list using the following method:

linkedList.add( textField.getText() )

If not, try it out. If so, post up some more details. Code isn't as necessary as the actual GUI model. If there's data in several Textfields you wish to save, you could always use the following:

JTextField [] fields = new JTextFieldI]size[/I

for(int n = 0; n < fields.length; n++) {
    linkedList.add( fields[n].getText() );
    }

The actual GUI model would be very helpful as I'm probably pissing into the wind here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I see that now... whoops :D

Sorry

(Although there are some really unhelpful twats that post here sometimes e.g "Do your own homework" even though its nothing related to what I study at the time)

forgiven! :)

Advertisement