Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why have i got 2 water tanks ?!?

Options
  • 09-03-2005 8:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

ive a big water tank and a little one the size of a big bucket. The little one never seems to be used, ive only ever seen water going into the big one. Any ideas what the hell this little one is for ?!? i cant trace the outlet pipe it goes downstairs but i cant see where it gos.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Big tank is cold water storage tank for domestic use , cold taps to the bathroom, kitchen ect.,
    Smaller tank is probably central heating / boiler expansion tank, this tank maintains an adequate supply of water for the central heating boiler, radiator circuit.

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kadman wrote:
    Big tank is cold water storage tank for domestic use , cold taps to the bathroom, kitchen ect.,
    Smaller tank is probably central heating / boiler expansion tank, this tank maintains an adequate supply of water for the central heating boiler, radiator circuit.

Couldn't have said it better myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if thats the case should it not be emptying when the central heating is on ?!? The water looks like its been sitting there months its fairly dirty looking and its never even full its only about a finger deep (thats imperial measurments)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

No.
    The small tank serves the same purpose as the expansion tank, in your car radiator circuit.

When your oil/solidfuel/gas boiler heats your water for your central heating, some small amount of water may be turned into steam which is released through your vent pipe and expansion safety valve. The purpose of the small tank is to top up this loss, and assure that there is always a supply available for the circuit.

Advertisement