Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card watchdog on my account

Options
  • 09-03-2005 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

I was using paypal to buy a computer part this evening when it told me that my credit card had been denied. I called up and they told me a watchdog had been applied by the system to my account because it thought there was some supsicious activities. She read out all the latest transactions which i knew and nothing unusual and she removed the watchdog and i was able to proceed with my paypal transaction. I do use paypal alot, maybe thats why it was suspicious? just wondering if it ever happened to anyone else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Good to see the security system they have up is working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Happened to me twice, both for petrol (not cheap for my bus) towards the end of my billing period when I was quite close to my credit limit. It's an automated process that just watches for unusual activity. It's a pain in the arse if it happens in a retail outlet because you have to hang around like a langer while they phone up, and the call centers are slow as fork.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

one site wouldn't accept my card even though it was almost completely cleared, i don't know why, i just went to a different site and got a better price:)

i did order a cd and dvd off play a few weeks ago and it said it had been rejected, my card still had enough credit on it to cover the items so i don't know why that happened either:confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It happened to me on my recently acquired Tesco Visa when I made an order of nearly €900 from Komplett! The transaction was denied and I couldnt ring anybody as it was nearly 1am! Next morning at around 8.30 I got a call from Tesco/Visa verifying that the transaction was by me and not somebody else. She said there had been a lot of fraud and as the transaction was so high, they needed to verify it.

Although it was very frustrating at the time, not knowing why the transaction failed, it's good to know that there are some security measures. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

good to know theres some sort of security measures but i hadnt a clue because i always have my credit card paid off well in advance and always check my account almost daily so i was a bit clueless. It was at like 10pm or something so i had to call the 24hr number on me mastercard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

OK so it's not just me...

I've had trouble making a large Paypal transfer/payment since last night.
    I'm getting a "Transaction Cancelled; contact your card issuer" warning.
    Typically enough this happens me on a bank holiday w/e.
    My balance is in the black so...it's this watchdog thing?

Seller is thinking I'm tryin' to scam him or something lol.

So all I need to do is contact CC company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

probably so, just contact ur issuer, they will run through the last couple of transactions, the big ones probably and the transaction that you tried to put through last. It will be taken off providing those are all yours and then you can use it 5-10 minutes after.

Thx Ruu...
    Turns out my balance wasn't cleared even though I paid it off in full last thursday. :rolleyes:
    ...and it only took me a half hour on hold to find this out :mad:

Anyone any idea how long it should take for Bank365 payments to clear? The "wan" on the phone wouldn't give me a straight answer (not surprising since she's not a BOI employee).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Anyone any idea how long it should take for Bank365 payments to clear? The "wan" on the phone wouldn't give me a straight answer (not surprising since she's not a BOI employee).

Is it a BOI credit card, or one from another Bank? Interbank payments can taqke 3-4 days. Even if it's a BOI card, and you paid it Thursday it might not go onto your card until the next working day, which in this case would be Tuesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I triggered a watch on my CC (Mastercard) recently by placing orders on www.crucial.com and www.komplett.ie in quick sucession. The crucial one went through fine but the Komplett order was denied. I rang my credit card company and they lifted the watch. I also had to get them to clear a max daily transaction limit as I had gone over my limit with a succession of attempts on the Komplett order.

TBH, I'd prefer if this happened than some thief ordering crap with my money, plus I have the advantage of 24 hour CC phone support.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That's the downfall of Tesco Visa, it doesnt' have 24 hour support :(

BuffyBot wrote:
    Is it a BOI credit card, or one from another Bank? Interbank payments can taqke 3-4 days. Even if it's a BOI card, and you paid it Thursday it might not go onto your card until the next working day, which in this case would be Tuesday

Yeah it's AmEx issued by BOI.
    Tuesday would work but lord forbid having to f**k around till friday trying to stop the seller from relisting (it's a very desirable item at a very good price).

Sorry for off topic.
    I would have preferred if this had been a wtachdog on my account...I'm constantly in fear of someone getting hold of my card and maxxing it in an hour, so it's good to know that these systems are in place even if they do get in the way sometimes...

Advertisement