Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: 64 or Super?

Options
  • 09-03-2005 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about delving into some more retro gaming by buying a Nintendo system (I already have a PS1, Dreamcast and PC Engine) but can't decide whether to buy a Nintendo 64 or a Super Nintendo. Anyone here willing to make a decision for me ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Snes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well if you really want nostalgia, go for the NES, otherwise I say the SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

get a N64 with goldeneye. what a classic. number two on the list of reasons why i done so badly on my leaving cert in 1998

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

depends what kind of retro? Is this going to be in a college house sitting room or somethin? then the n64 with four controllers and some goldeneye, mario kart 64 etc. Or is it going into your room as part of some nostalgic collection. Then Snes for some quality rpgs and other single player classics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Snes has mario all stars and the original mario kart, pure quality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I always perfered the Mega Drive....but definately get a Nintendo 64, by far the best console in that particular round of the console wars.

Goldeneye, Zelda, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Killer Instinct, rogue Squadron.....so many amazing titles i love even today (at least, I did, until my console broke and I Sold all my carts....but still, roms are almost as good on the pc with a controller)

But to answer your question, I'd still say Both of them! Try as it might, the Mega Drive version of Street Fighter II just wasn't the same....

Although again i think mortal kombat on the Mega Drive was a much better game..... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    depends what kind of retro? Is this going to be in a college house sitting room or somethin? then the n64 with four controllers and some goldeneye, mario kart 64 etc. Or is it going into your room as part of some nostalgic collection. Then Snes for some quality rpgs and other single player classics.
    Just to answer this q, it's going to be part of my collection in my own non-shared house, and if it's anything like the DC, it'll be a case of play the hell out of it for 4 weeks, do other stuff for 3 months, play the hell out of it for 4 weeks, lather, rinse, repeat.

I've seen a couple of N64 games, but I suspect that the SNES back catalogue is much bigger? Perhaps I'm wrong, I've always thought of the N64 as a fairly short-term console. Then again, the DC passed me by completely when it first came out, so what do I know?

Dammit, now I want to buy both *and* a Mega Drive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

Get them both, they're cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

eoinf wrote:
    get a N64 with goldeneye. what a classic. number two on the list of reasons why i done so badly on my leaving cert in 1998
    Off-topic I'm afraid but I know you're just gagging for someone to ask. Number one on the list was?

They're both rather cheap so if you've a thing for old consoles you could just get both. The SNES back catalogue would indeed be much larger I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I'd go for the n64. Games like goldeneye, mario 64, both zelda's (the first ones better but both are very good), mario kart, the 2 extreme g games ( i liked them :) ). Try here for a list of n64 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Single player - SNES (Super Metroid...*drools*)
    Multiplayer - N64 (MK64, Goldeneye, SSB, Perfect Dark...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

These are all my opinions, of course :)

Race: super mario kart 1 - 0 mario kart 64
    (this is probably the closest battle. see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227122)

Platform: super mario world 1&2 1 - 0 Mario 64 (draw)

Action/Adventure/Platform: Super Metroid 2 - 0 (no worthy opponent)

RPG: chrono trigger & secret of mana 3 - 0 Paper Mario? Anything better?
    (that's just two of SNES's huge amount of excellent RPGs)

Zelda: LttP 3 - 1 OoT & MM
    (LttP is great, but OoT IS the best game of all time)

Beatemup: SF2/Turbo 4 - 1 Smash Bros
    (cos you may as well get SSBM for gamecube now)

Sport: NHL 95 :D 5 - 1 tony hawks? 1080 snowboard? :/
    (i did live ISS on the SNES at the time, but PES has spoiled me)

FPS: doom 5 - 2 goldeneye (heheh. snes doom.)

Shootemup: dunno, ask Retr0gamer.

I hope that sums them up well. This list is, of course, up for debate. But at least you can get an idea of some of the best games in the genres that might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Nice post, Balfa, but being a Nintendo noob, there are a hell of a lot of acronyms I don't understand there. :D

Looks like the SNES is slightly better, but I may aswell get both and make up my mind, huh? At least I now have a list of a couple games that are worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd go for the SNES. Better games, much, much wider choice of titles and probably the best joypad ever designed. I didn't really like the N64 even when I bought it a few months after launch, it seems like a poor piece of hardware that just happened to be lucky enough to play host to a handful of truly great titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Balfa wrote:
    These are all my opinions, of course :)

Race: super mario kart 1 - 0 mario kart 64
    (this is probably the closest battle. see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227122)

Not a close battle at all imo, SMK is the best console racer of all time, EVER.
    Balfa wrote:
    Platform: super mario world 1&2 1 - 0 Mario 64 (draw)
    If you also add Mario Allstars, the SNES wins, close though!
    Balfa wrote:
    Action/Adventure/Platform: Super Metroid 2 - 0 (no worthy opponent)

For the N64 there's JetForceGemini, Blast Corps, Banjo series!, SMetroid STILL wins it though:)
    Balfa wrote:
    RPG: chrono trigger & secret of mana 3 - 0 Paper Mario? Anything better?
    (that's just two of SNES's huge amount of excellent RPGs)

Paper Mario is EXCELLENT, but the SNES has more and better RPG's, so I agree.
    Balfa wrote:
    Zelda: LttP 3 - 1 OoT & MM
    (LttP is great, but OoT IS the best game of all time)
    I'd go for OoT here!

Basically if you want to play games that look modern-ish, go for the N64,

Either way you won't be dissapointed :D

I'd go for the SNES: KillerInstinct, MarioAllstars/World/Yoshi, Starfox, SF2, MKart, too many to remember!!

I'd go for the SNES. Better games, much, much wider choice of titles and probably the best joypad ever designed. I didn't really like the N64 even when I bought it a few months after launch, it seems like a poor piece of hardware that just happened to be lucky enough to play host to a handful of truly great titles.
    Heretic, burn him!!!

The N64 controller is better than working in Willie Wonka's chocolate factory! :p

I always perfered the Mega Drive....but definately get a Nintendo 64, by far the best console in that particular round of the console wars.

Goldeneye, Zelda, Perfect Dark, Super Smash Bros, Killer Instinct, rogue Squadron.....so many amazing titles i love even today (at least, I did, until my console broke and I Sold all my carts....but still, roms are almost as good on the pc with a controller)

But to answer your question, I'd still say Both of them! Try as it might, the Mega Drive version of Street Fighter II just wasn't the same....

Although again i think mortal kombat on the Mega Drive was a much better game..... :D
    lol... gore-whore!!

MK on the megadrive << SF2 and KI on the SNES

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I had both these machines (only now have n64 somewhere). Countless hours on both. Was reading a copy of retrogamer yesterday...mmmm secret of mana on the snes..classic and Street Fighter 2 Turbo..loved that..Mario Kart a must. Also Zelda:A Link to the Past.Loads of brilliant games on it.

N64. Goldeneye/Perfect Dark, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie which I liked. Goldeneye is class multiplayer but also has a suberb 1 player game, especially if you want to hone you skills down to 2.05 minutes I think it was on Facility level. Loved it.

Feck it. Get both. Well worth it.

/me challenges anyone to game of Street Fighter 2 Turbo on Snes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

sceptre wrote:
    Off-topic I'm afraid but I know you're just gagging for someone to ask. Number one on the list was?

They're both rather cheap so if you've a thing for old consoles you could just get both. The SNES back catalogue would indeed be much larger I suspect.

1a sex
    1b drugs
    1c rock 'n' roll

2 goldeneye

3 my maths teacher Miss Keoghan

• Advertisement

MK on the megadrive << SF2 and KI on the SNES

Yep, except there was a good port of SF2 on the MD, in fact if you had a 6 button controller it was perfect.

Mortal Kombat on the SNES was not very good, and there were more MK games on the Mega Drive. :)

Killer Instinct was cool though, very hard, great graphics.

Another cool fighter that was on both consoles I belive is FATAL FURY.

And - Mega Drive only - best 16 bit games EVER - The Streets of Rage Games. Multiplayer still stands up to the new games today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, except there was a good port of SF2 on the MD, in fact if you had a 6 button controller it was perfect.

Yeah, I had both. Super Street Fighter 2 on the Megadrive was truly outstanding, and I could be literally anyone with Fei Long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Feck forgot about Killer Instinct..the most intricate of button pressing games. God them snes controllers were built to last. Remember Orchids 48hit combo. Feck me. Twas nice when you pulled that one off.

MI-> yep SofRage were great games, I liked Shinobi too:)

But you know what it was like back then, whichever one you owned, you defended to the DEATH!!!

These richkids today, who have all three consoles a GBA and a PSP, know feck all about fanboi-ism at its purest back then!!

petes wrote:
    Feck forgot about Killer Instinct..the most intricate of button pressing games. God them snes controllers were built to last. Remember Orchids 48hit combo. Feck me. Twas nice when you pulled that one off.
    **** YEAH!!

That game stole a couple of years of my life, and ruined my JC!

The game was so popular in arcades, it was cool it reminded me of what it used to be like during the SF2 heyday! (only I was too young to be a credible 'force' in SF2 at arcades because I was 8 or something!)

But KI was just in time!

I couldn't believe it when they did a SNES version as the whole mystique about the arcade machine was that it was basically an N64, 18months before they released it!

But the SNES version was a deadly port, it was a pure RARE labour of love, they even made improvements like changing your charachters colour on the Vs. screen and adding proper reflections in a couple of the levels with shiny floors.

And it was the only beat-em-up that I bothered to master ALL the charachters, ALL the combos, ALL the ultimates, ALL the deathmoves and beat the game with everyone, just to see the storyline:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the highest was a 64-hit combo with orchid? could be wrong.

Presonally I think the SNES is the greatest console ever created. Mega Drive was good but everything looked nicer on the SNES and it also had some excellent exclusive games. The N64 had some classics but no where near as many as the SNES.

As for the best games:

Shoot'em ups:
    Axelay: Developed by treasure before leaving Konami. The best shmup on the 16-bit systems. The mega drive had a better selection, but the SNES was better for Shmups because it had the daddy, Axelay :D

Contra 3: Excellent run and gun game by Treasure before they left Konami

Super Aleste: Just for the amazing level 2. The rest of the game is great as well.

UN Squadron

Action/Adventure:

The best game on the SNES, Super Metroid
    Firemen: Great little game. Far more fun than you think it is and really impressive gfx.

RPG:

FFVI: Arguably the best in the series
    FFV, FFIV
    Secret of Mana
    Saiken Deneitsu 3 (sp?)
    Earthbound
    Front Mission
    Many more

Platform games:

Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Mario Allstars, Sparkster, Pop n' Twinbee

Racing:

Fzero
    Mario Kart

I've left loads out but there really are far too many must play games on the SNES.

But you know what it was like back then, whichever one you owned, you defended to the DEATH!!!

Yeah, I guess you are right about the different camps back then...! Great times.

Still, I think the greatest 16-bit games EVER were Streets or Rage 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat and maybe Zombies ate my neighbours on Snes/Genesis. Metal Marines on the Snes was a great one also, and who can forget:

Zero Tolerance on the Mega Drive!!!

The Snes only has a tatty and cheap rip off of Streets or Rage called "Final Fight"...it had some cool animations but generally it was terrible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The Snes only has a tatty and cheap rip off of Streets or Rage called "Final Fight"...it had some cool animations but generally it was terrible.

What! SoR2 may have been better but Final Fight was still an excellent game. In fact SoR was a direct rip-off of Final Fight.

I also can't believe you like MK over the greatest fighting game ever, Street Fighter 2. Tut-tut.

Zero Tolerance was kind of cool on the mega drive especially because you could link 2 consoles together and play deathmatch. Still it was surpassed by Doom on the SNES.

God I wish I had a SNES and not a mega drive. At least the mega drive had Rocket Knight Adventures and the horrendously brilliant Gunstar Heroes.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I think the highest was a 64-hit combo with orchid? could be wrong.

AFAIK the highest possible combo was Orchid's 48-hit Ultra on the SNES version.

On the arcade the highest official combo was Orchid's 48-hit Ultra too

The highest possible was Cinder's 32(?) hit Ultra, the loser is thrown up by his scissors-kick, then when he is falling, catch him with a QP Trailblazer and immediately after do a MK scissors-kick, lather, rinse repeat till your arms go tired! (IIRC you can do that trick after any combo which launches the opponent, but it's easier with the Ultra, you basically get 20 free hits;))

My highest was 70-something, but I think there was a cut-out at 90(?)

• Advertisement

Was the 48 hitter the one where you had to catch the falling character with the triple fireball?

Advertisement