Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo: 64 or Super?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What! SoR2 may have been better but Final Fight was still an excellent game. In fact SoR was a direct rip-off of Final Fight.

I thought SoR came out first, as it was a Genesis launch title? Well, if not, its still wayyyyy better in any case! :D
    I also can't believe you like MK over the greatest fighting game ever, Street Fighter 2. Tut-tut.

Speaking of camps, over this particular rivalry are two huge camps! MK vs SF! Its a pity the newer Street Fighter games arent as popular, Mortal Kombat has survived the timetest very well though in the transition to 3D. Although the new 2D capcom releases are still very good, the newer 3D conversions arent great......Street Fighter Ex Alpha on the Psone was pretty cool though, great fun. I believe there is a Ex Alpha 3 on the PS2 now? Anyone played it?
    the horrendously brilliant Gunstar Heroes

This is one of the most frantic games I have EVER played. Great stuff, it never gets old. Two player was great fun as well.
    Zero Tolerance was kind of cool on the mega drive especially because you could link 2 consoles together and play deathmatch. Still it was surpassed by Doom on the SNES.

Yeah, but Doom was just a so and so port. Zero Tolerance was pretty oringinal in some of its ideas, especially the simple Squad based theme. Great stuff. Pity they never finished the sequel fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Retr0gamer wrote:
    horrendously brilliant Gunstar Heroes.

That was some game alright!

I never played Final Fight, I think after SF2, all bet-em-up's were ruined to me for a few years!

For me the SNES wins hands down, I mean the first proper(fun) 3-d multipayer racer (MarioKart) [VR was ****e], and the daddy of 1994 3-d, Starfox!!

You could literally *feel* the polygons:)

Yeah, I never liked the idea behind Starfox, but it was a cool game.

Ever play F-22 Interceptor on the Mega Drive? Its one of the few fully 3D games available for it. Horribly slow and jumpy though, but still an enjoyable affair.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Was the 48 hitter the one where you had to catch the falling character with the triple fireball?
    Yep:D

last kick of a helicopter kick (FK)[1], straight into 3 helicopterkicks(FK) one after the other, some linker(CAN'T remember), ultra, then the loser is launched so you catch him on the way down with a QP-projectile(lasi-ken?)

Looked slick alright, but was one of the most frustrating combo's I've ever tried, it's up there with VF4 at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

dearg_doom wrote:
    MI-> yep SofRage were great games, I liked Shinobi too:)

But you know what it was like back then, whichever one you owned, you defended to the DEATH!!!

These richkids today, who have all three consoles a GBA and a PSP, know feck all about fanboi-ism at its purest back then!!

oh how I remember that! one of my friends had a Mega Drive and the other had a SNES, I went and got myself a SNES too :D but its really had to say which was better, I mean I haven't playes Streets Of Rage in AGES but I really wanna! it kicked ass! and also there was a batman game too, I remember it being rock hard! it has been about 8 yrs at least since I played it, but I remember something like the second boss, possibly cat woman, and a crane grab thing that keeps trying to hit you its just a pity I can't quite remember :(

but now onto the SNES, lets see, games that took my life were:
    Crash Dummies: there might have been a subtitle to it, all I remember was that every time you got hit, you lost a limb!
    WWF Royal Rumble: this had all the classic fighters you rarely hear of anymore: Sean Michaels, Bret (the hitman) Heart, Tatanka (I think :confused:), Rick Flair, Mr. Perfect etc... but the great thing was, they didn't have the big stoopid 'special moves' the wrestlers today has, I mean Mr. Perfect had the Perfect Plex, Bret Heart had the Sharpshooter and Rick Flair had the figure 4 leg lock!
    Mortal Kombat II: not this, in my opinion, was the quintecential Mortal Kombat, it had all the gore that the other SNES titles lacked (the first had none, and 3 and ultimate were stupid!) it looked awesome! and you could make the corpse fall from the spikes on the second stage :D
    but my top SNES games are Super Metroid and Mega-Man X these game I play to this day!, I choose those games over X-box games, pc games, PSII games, Game Cube games..... the list goes on

hergo, in my book, SNES rules all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

dearg_doom wrote:
    Yep:D

last kick of a helicopter kick (FK)[1], straight into 3 helicopterkicks(FK) one after the other, some linker(CAN'T remember), ultra, then the loser is launched so you catch him on the way down with a QP-projectile(lasi-ken?)

Looked slick alright, but was one of the most frustrating combo's I've ever tried, it's up there with VF4 at the moment!

Best part is playing against a mate and you mange to pull it off. Smug mode!!!

Quick thing. Are there any clubs or events(like lans) in Ireland for competitions and the like. Apart from lan best multiplayer was on N64 and Snes imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My favourite Killer Instinct moment was fluking an Ultra Combo against my friend after playing for 3 days and then pretending I was a master of the game and could pull it off any time I wanted :D

As for Final Fight SoR was out before the SNES version but Final Fight was out in the arcades a good bit before it. The game demands respect. Because of its success the designer behind it got the go ahead from Capcom to make a little known game called Street Fighter 2 :D

MK2 was a great game (not as good as SF2) and the SNES version was definitely the best home console conversion. The Mega Drive version was diabolical. All the juggle combos were taken out of the mega drive version. Disgraceful.

The new 2D Capcom games are far better than the new MK's but the 3D EX games are terrible. They don't play like Capcom fighting games at all.

Have you played VF4?

I never really 'got' 3-d fighters, they always seemed unnecessary (and therefore crap) to me, no tactics. But VF4 is class it's very complicated in a ProEvo kind of way, it rewards practice nicely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say I haven't played VF4 enough. It is brilliant isn't it. It's a crying shame when thrash like Tekken outsells it considerably.

but Dead Or Alive pwns them both :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Oh god you've all made me go and really really start missing my Snes, I had all the classics (Plus a platformer called B.O.B. that nobody else had, that my ma of all people got off someone randomly, that absolutley ruled :D)

I'm actually looking at my Snes right now, it's been in the same corner for years now. The controll pads seem to be missing but I wonder, apart from that, does it still work. I may try and fire it up later :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

petes wrote:
    Feck forgot about Killer Instinct..the most intricate of button pressing games. God them snes controllers were built to last. Remember Orchids 48hit combo. Feck me. Twas nice when you pulled that one off.

was that the kombo that made her flash the oponnent. they oponnent dieing cause his eyes fell out of their sockets.

what a classic

eoinf wrote:
    was that the kombo that made her flash the oponnent. they oponnent dieing cause his eyes fell out of their sockets.

what a classic
    haha yeah that was THE original 'Lara Croft' in teh nude rumour!

I think it was an Ultimate, though it could have been a death move...

dearg_doom wrote:
    haha yeah that was THE original 'Lara Croft' in teh nude rumour!

I think it was an Ultimate, though it could have been a death move...

that was her finisher, I don't think it was part of a combo tho

Some finishing moves could be preformed mid combo. the flash deathmove was one of them. Fluked that one as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

corblimey wrote:
    Nice post, Balfa, but being a Nintendo noob, there are a hell of a lot of acronyms I don't understand there. :D

Ah, sorry about that.
    The Balfa Glossary! in order of appearance:

RPG = Role Playing Game ;)
    SNES = Super Nintendo Entertainment System ;)
    LttP = A Link To The Past
    OoT = Ocarina Of Time
    MM = Majora's Mask
    SF2 = Street Fighter 2
    SSBM = Super Smash Bros Melee
    NHL = National Hocket League
    PES = Pro Evolution Soccer
    FPS = First Person Shooter

:D
    dearg_doom wrote:
    Not a close battle at all imo, SMK is the best console racer of all time, EVER.
    Heh, my opinion exactly, as you'll see in the thread i linked. But there were lots of weirdos in that thread thinking MK64 was better! :O
    dearg_doom wrote:
    The N64 controller is better than working in Willie Wonka's chocolate factory!
    The SNES controller is the best built controller ever. The thing was mad durable and the d-pad was the most precise i've ever used. It was easier for me to pull off Zangief's spinning pile driver using this pad than it was for me in the arcade :)
    As for the N64. It has the worst controller i've ever touched. Including xbox and sega master system. Horrible design that left one third of it unuseable no matter what you put your hands. And the analogue stick was really loose and felt like it would snap like a twig.

And to the megadriv0rs and the Kill0r Instinct0rs, keep on topic!!

Balfa wrote:
    As for the N64. It has the worst controller i've ever touched. Including xbox and sega master system. Horrible design that left one third of it unuseable no matter what you put your hands. And the analogue stick was really loose and felt like it would snap like a twig.
    I agree on a level, and thats the analogue part, but the N64 was the first console to utilise that so it was only natural to have a defect, but appart from that the controller, imo, was the best controller ever made, maybe not the most durable (SNES wins outright), but the easiest to use, once you got used to it, it was primarilly a FPS controller, as if it was made souly for Goldeneye, but it was still really easy to use for games like MK64, but it fell at the beat 'em up sector, I only played one varient of BEU on the 64, and that was wrestling, and the controller sucked at that, but it was great for every other game, although it didn't stand up to a good button-basher, such as myself, because the analogue stick ALWAYS came loose, and that ****ed up all the games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Marts wrote:
    I agree on a level, and thats the analogue part, but the N64 was the first console to utilise that so it was only natural to have a defect, but appart from that the controller, imo, was the best controller ever made, maybe not the most durable (SNES wins outright), but the easiest to use, once you got used to it, it was primarilly a FPS controller, as if it was made souly for Goldeneye, but it was still really easy to use for games like MK64, but it fell at the beat 'em up sector, I only played one varient of BEU on the 64, and that was wrestling, and the controller sucked at that, but it was great for every other game, although it didn't stand up to a good button-basher, such as myself, because the analogue stick ALWAYS came loose, and that ****ed up all the games

I never really liked the N64 controller. Disliking the X box one aswell I'm tempted to just damn all the big pads, but I found the Dreamcasts hulking gamepad fantastic, so it's not size alone.

Crucifix wrote:
    I never really liked the N64 controller. Disliking the X box one aswell I'm tempted to just damn all the big pads, but I found the Dreamcasts hulking gamepad fantastic, so it's not size alone.
    ok, hold the phone, the Xbox controller is probably THE best one, its brilliant for FPS, strategy, racing, all its not good for is beat 'em up's, and the Dreamcast controller is definitly one of the worst, its WAY too big with WAY to little buttons on it! its just a load of b0ll0x!

Marts wrote:
    ok, hold the phone, the Xbox controller is probably THE best one, its brilliant for FPS, strategy, racing, all its not good for is beat 'em up's, and the Dreamcast controller is definitly one of the worst, its WAY too big with WAY to little buttons on it! its just a load of b0ll0x!

You sir, are crazy if you if you like the xbox pad.

Just got an N64 yesterday and I have to say the rose tinted glasses came off. The blur is horrible but some of that is down to using the terrible Gamecube AV composite cable and the slowdown from all PAL conversions except the Rare ones is terrible. Still the games are great.

• Advertisement

ok, hold the phone, the Xbox controller is probably THE best one, its brilliant for FPS, strategy, racing

Yes, the best for FPS definately, but for racing.....? Not by a long shot. Its terrible for racing games.
    Just got an N64 yesterday and I have to say the rose tinted glasses came off. The blur is horrible

Ahha, but still, they are much better then Psone games, right? And Perfect Dark and Goldeneye still looked pretty fantastic to me last time I played them!

what is it about Goldeneye? its just perfect! I mean the missions are piss easy when you want to do it on easy, and really hard for when you want a challenge, it has a great selection of weapons, the graphics were top of the range when it came out. They tried to re-create it with Perfect Dark, but it just wasn't the same, I mean PD was a great game, but it didn't have same playability for me as Goldeneye did

The games do look better than the PS1 games. Can't play PD in single player because I've no expansion pak :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Marts wrote:

Okay, to be honest, i do like it for racing, but that's only because i don't really need to use any of the face buttons. They're horrible. They feel wiggly and crap. The placement of "black" and "white" on the S pad is woeful. Any joypad with six face buttons (megadrive, saturn, N64, MS Sidewinder) has always used common sense to put them in two rows. This thing puts them in two colums!?! Sorry, but my thumb doesn't move that way. Same with start and back. And the circle D-pad? There's never been a good circle d-pad like that on any controller in the history of controlling things.
    As for FPSes, hello? mouse?

Can't stand that awful controller :)

edit: sorry for going off topic. i will now take this topic elsewhere

There's never been a good circle d-pad like that on any controller in the history of controlling things.

The japanese saturn controller had a circle d-pad. It's by far the best d-pad based joypad ever created.

Advertisement