Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony set to wipe the floor with every other flash based mp3 player!

Options
  • 09-03-2005 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

and about time too.

I've been touting Sony's MD players for years, and now they're set to launch a range of 2 different models of flash based MP3 players with 256mb, 512mb & 1gb capacity. some of them have built in radio too.

sec1block1_final,2.jpgsec1block2_fnal%20copy.jpgsec1block3,16.jpg

nothing out of the ordinary you say?

how about throwing in 50 hours of playback on a single charge?

not enough? how about 70 hours?

they're only 26g too, so light in the pocket.

they do a 'stick' type player with 50h playback and a circular one with 70 hours. both rechargable, but the round one has a removable battery.

throw in a nice organic 3 line OLED display and up to 45 CD's on the 1gb player and it really can't be beaten. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

45cds on 1 gig? i can get about 10-15 one 1 gig
    organic lcd? what does that mean.....

my discma, albeit sony, runs about 40hrs on two AA, how is 50hrs on a flash player that good?

just asking , since you love them so much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

*cums*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Its ATRAC3 64kps! thats how they can fit so much on it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,161 ✭✭✭beer enigma

My wife uses the 1Gb Sony Network Walkman & she comfortably gets 30+ cd's on it. It's about the same size as the one shown above & from a small AAA battery gives 70 hours life.

I presume this is just a new design ?

http://products.sony.co.uk/sony_nwe95_and_nwe99.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

ughh

i thought they admitted that pos format was what was holding them back for so long?
    im hardly gone reformat my lovely alt preset standard mp3s to some 64kbps drm crap just for a new mp3 player......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Sony cant make decent MP3 players because they still stick by that stupid ATRAC3 format.
    I shudder to think how bad itll sound at 64bkps aswell.

And the 1gig is launching for €300!!!!!!waste.of.money.....you can get a 6gig iPod Mini and money for decent headphones for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Clank wrote:
    And the 1gig is launching for €300!!!!!!waste.of.money.....you can get a 6gig iPod Mini and money for decent headphones for that.

You can actually buy an 20gb iRiver H120 for €300.. none of your tiny memory rubbish...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

oh, did i mention radio on the higher end models?

so radio, 70h playback, nice screen, native mp3 support as well as the very nice atrac3plus (don't knock what you don't understand, it's much better than it gets credit for), super quick 3mins = hours charge, very cool looking and like for like wiping the floor with all oter flash based mp3 players.

hard drive player? what's the point of having 20gb of storage if your battery is flat after 1 gig?

45 CD's worth is more than enough capacity to be going on with imho, and I'll be getting one as soon as I can, for me AND mrs. vibe. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

tallpaul wrote:
    You can actually buy an 20gb iRiver H120 for €300.. none of your tiny memory rubbish...
    You can buy the H320 full version from mx2 for that much and that includes delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Meh... doesnt play the superior WMA and AAC formats.

Fashionista's will buy the 1Gig Ipod shuffle at a cheaper €149. Which too be honest looks much cooler.

Sony have sooo missed the mp3 boat by trying to protect their Sony Music IP and their stupid insistence on trying to push MD and ATRAC long past their sell by dates.

They have a better chance to grap a piece of the market with their walkman range of SE phones.

Must admit using OLED plastic for the case was inspired. It looks good and the geek factor is excellent!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

The NW-E407 is available at the ROI(Rip Off Ireland) price of only €199.
    So much for your conversion of €157!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Looking at spec it would seem that Sony have abandoned one of their best features (eg on minidisc) which was direct recording i.e.no PC. These mp3 players do not appear to support line-in direct encoding to either mp3 or Atrac. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Might I offer the Samsung Yepp by comparison;
    1GB, FM Radio, direct encoding, FM Presets, record from radio, Voice recording, USB Flash Disc, 1 AAA battery (bout 20-30hrs) MP3, wma, ogg etc etc...

200 notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Meh... doesnt play the superior WMA and AAC formats.

WMA superior? You are joking. ATRAC is fine through headphones and you certainly wouldn't notice the difference commuting/jogging - What they should really be supporting is the 'indie' OGG format

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

vibe666 wrote:
    as well as the very nice atrac3plus (don't knock what you don't understand, it's much better than it gets credit for)

i don't know about you but to re encode a lot of mp3's to atrac takes a lot of time, i don't think i would be arsed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

bedlam wrote:
    you dont get 70 hrs and a radio sadly.

nw-100's = 70hr battery off 1 AAA
    nw-400's = 50hr quick charge battery
    nw-500's = 50hr quick charge battery and a radio.

And those battery life claims are made playing back low bitrate (quality) ATRAC files, not MP3/WMA. Much like the 30Hr claim on the Song Network Walkman 20GB is actually less than 20Hrs when you compare it on a fair and even playing field.

Matt

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

The new Rio CE2100 2.5GB will be available in about two weeks for EUR199.

Nice product too...

http://www.digitalnetworksna.com/shop/_templates/item_main_Rio.asp?model=295

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Felixdhc wrote:
    The new Rio CE2100 2.5GB will be available in about two weeks for EUR199.

Nice product too...

wtf are they on??? - the future is more space not less - whats the point of producing a HD player with less space than the carbon?? Especially since flash players will probably be hitting 2gig before the end of the year.

Its madness I tells ya. Presumably just to get the carbon down to a lower price point.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Well they have dropped the Carbon to 249 and introduced the Carbon Pearl (same, but white!). The CE2100 is same casing and spec but with 2.5 HD. Could be to do with the fact that they will not have a high capacity player till at least August, then they will have a 30GB and 60GB offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Sony set to wipe the floor with every other flash based mp3 player!
    While it connects via USB, the player appears to have a non-standard connector, so it won't connect directly to a PC's USB port, just the bundled cable

Nah.

• Advertisement
Advertisement