Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Team Do Liverpool Fans Want to Play

• 09-03-2005 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Remember Inter Milan play Porto next week.

Well? Choices, choices...!

Mike.

Which Team Best To Play? 41 votes

Bayern Munich
    0% 0 votes
    Lyon
    2% 1 vote
    PSV Eindoven
    7% 3 votes
    Juventus
    63% 26 votes
    AC Milan
    2% 1 vote
    Chelsea
    9% 4 votes
    Inter Milan (they play next week)
    14% 6 votes
    Porto (they play next week)
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im not sure, but Id go for Lyon, PSV, or Porto (should they qualify).

All three have been beaten by English teams over two legs this year. Id be confident Liverpool could do the same. Id rather see them get an "easy" draw again. We will worry about the big boys in the final ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

PSV for me, they do not look any great shakes. We'll probably get Milan though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Chelsea tbh. They got a lucky win the last league game and only for the og in the Carling Cup they were bet. We owe them one.

or Juve/Milan. Need to prove ourselves and to win the CL you need oodles of luck or beat the best teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

The most important thing for liverpool is to get 4th in the league and get back into europe. Its almost better if they get a big team like milan. If they can beat milan they have a serious chance of winning the whole thing(and getting an automatic place). If they don't beat them they can then concentrate on the league and getting back here next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

PSV have to be the best choice out of that lot, maybe Porto if they get past Inter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I'd go for PSV too. But, as has been said, if we beat them we will probably meet a big side in the semis anyway....or maybe even Chelsea :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I went for PSV but have a bad feeling we're gonna get Juventus or Bayern Munich ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I voted PSV, buyt thinking about it.

Their focus should be qualifying for the CL.
    I dont think they have a great chance of winning it, so they should play Milan/Juve now to see if they can beat the best. If they win that match, they could easily have the confidence to go on and win the whole thing, but if they lose, then they can concentrate on the Premiership, where they really need to win 9 matches in a row.

PHB wrote:
    I voted PSV, buyt thinking about it.

Their focus should be qualifying for the CL.
    I dont think they have a great chance of winning it, so they should play Milan/Juve now to see if they can beat the best. If they win that match, they could easily have the confidence to go on and win the whole thing, but if they lose, then they can concentrate on the Premiership, where they really need to win 9 matches in a row.

That was basically my earlier post word for word :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PSV :D
    save the attimpts at giant killing for the later rounds if possible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

David19 wrote:
    The most important thing for liverpool is to get 4th in the league and get back into europe. Its almost better if they get a big team like milan. If they can beat milan they have a serious chance of winning the whole thing(and getting an automatic place). If they don't beat them they can then concentrate on the league and getting back here next year.

I dont tihnk they get an automatic place....if they finish fifth and win the CL. i tihnk its a c ase where the FA decide to submit the four teams to get into the CL....ithey prolly would choose the ppool over everton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just looking at the Poll results there (I didn't vote btw).

Do we have 28 Liverpool supporters here?

Washout wrote:
    I dont tihnk they get an automatic place....if they finish fifth and win the CL. i tihnk its a c ase where the FA decide to submit the four teams to get into the CL....ithey prolly would choose the ppool over everton

Yeah there was something about this on bbc teletext today. I thought it was automatic. The report did say the FA could pick liverpool over everton regardless of where liverpool finish. They probably would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd take anyone with the exception of Juve or Milan (who says Serie A is past it!). Would prefer to meet Chelsea in the final though :D

Looking at the teams left, Liverpool are well in with a shout of getting to the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PSV are the weakest.

Then it'd be a toss up between Lyon and Bayern.

Then Chelsea

Finally the 3 Italian teams would be best avoided.

I think the semi final draw is on at the same time. So ideally the winners of Pool v PSV would play the winners of Lyon v Bayern!

..then Chelsea in the final, with Terry, Lampard, Makelele, Duff and Robben suspended :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

PSV are the weakest.

Then it'd be a toss up between Lyon and Bayern.

Then Chelsea

dude, you are clearly in need of medication!

lyon put 10 past werder bremen and you think they are easy?

even munich have a pedigree that goes a long way in the CL.

but the chances are its going to be an italian team.

i think chelsea would still do them in the final if the entire first team was injured.
    sure then theyd be left with only the under 15 million quid priced players :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I dont care who we get.. Am delighted that we have got this far and it was be incredible if we could progress further, doing by putting out the likes of AC or Juve would just be a bonus, i.e. one of the toughest sides would be out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Porto have failed to win 12 of their 24 league matches this season and their home record is terrible. They only failed to win 9 of their 34 league matches in the whole of last season.

PSV are 4 points clear at the top of the Dutch league and have won 18 of their 23 matches, losing just once.

I am really suprised at how many people have voted for PSV in that poll compared to the average Porto. In saying that, Porto still aren't in the quarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

porto match is 1-1, and thye have to go so san siro. If they win that, cant say i would be too keen to play them. I dont think they will win though. Inter have only lost once this season in Seire A against AC Milan.

PSV, Lyon and Bayern would be the ones too choose. I certainly want to avoid the rest fingers crossed the draw goes like this(assuming inter go through)

1. Chelsea vs Milan
    2. Juve vs Inter
    3. Liverpool vs PSV
    4. Bayern vs Lyon

Winners of 1 playing in the semis and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

If liverpool do win the cl (highly unlikely in my view) and finish 5th in the premiership, will there be 5 english teams in it next year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nope! Depending on who you read either Liverpool would by right be able to defend the title or UEFA would nudge the FA into giving Liverpool the forth spot. Either way it would be at the expense of Everton.

Still thats academic as we'll finnish forth (somehow).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

As a Man Utd supporter I would love to see Liverpool get AC Milan. I'd love to see how they'd fare against them. Liverpool might have a lot going for them, attitude and confidence wise, than Man Utd had on Tuesday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

What would be more satisfying for us Liverpool fans:

Winning the Champions League and finishing fourth, or
    Winning the Champions League and finishing fifth, but still taking Everton's CL spot?

If we don't close the gap in the league, that's going to be some motivation for the CL matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

we're not going to win the CL, stop thinking like man utd fans. the other teams are better, if we'd all our players available, then we'd have a chance. There are too many weak links in the available squad at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

we're not going to win the CL, stop thinking like man utd fans. the other teams are better, if we'd all our players available, then we'd have a chance. There are too many weak links in the available squad at the moment.
    :mad: of course we're going to win it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

it was a great win by liverpool yesterday.
    I dont know why some people on here are saying lyon and psv will be soft touches as both teams are very good.Personally i dont care who we get as long as they play with the same passion and pride like they showed last night.
    Even biscan was very good!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

David19 wrote:
    Yeah there was something about this on bbc teletext today. I thought it was automatic. The report did say the FA could pick liverpool over everton regardless of where liverpool finish. They probably would.

AFAIK they would have to pick Liverpool and the champions as two of the teams if that happened, you'd assume that would mean Everton would miss out. Christ, imagine the reaction if Everton finished fourth and could finally emerge from the shadows only to be denied because 5th place Liverpool won the bloody Champions League :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I just had a thought - Juve. I know its 20 years since Heysel but all the same I'd prefer if they did'nt meet.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ButcherofNog, you lack faith. Its all about faith, its all about confidence, surely you cam learn that from Arsenal this season. If Liverpool believe they can win the chamopions league, really believe it, there is absolutly no reason they can not with the players they have got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Winning the Champions League and finishing fifth, but still taking Everton's CL spot?

Everton not getting through on the basis of us winning would nearly be more satisfying than actually win it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

dude, you are clearly in need of medication!

lyon put 10 past werder bremen and you think they are easy?

even munich have a pedigree that goes a long way in the CL.

Please show me where I said Lyon or Munich would be easy :eek: :eek: :o
    I think you'll find you wont be able to. All I said was that the Italians and Chelsea would be stronger than they are.

In saying that I think Liverpool would have somewhere between a 40% and 50% chance of beating Lyon. Hard to be too scared of a team that has Wiltord up front (decent but not frightening). And they may have hammered Werder, but Liverpool hammered Bayer, and there's only 4 points between them in the Bundesliga.

Advertisement