Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Has anyone owned an RX7..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

the w@nkel revolution or combustion cycle is completely different to a standard piston engine so measures smaller at 1.3 'actual' cubic centimetres, but insurance\tax companies supposedly classify it as a 2.6l engine (based on power output), when it should be classified as a 6.3l based on fuel ecomony ;)

It helps if you're a mechanic alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

I only know him as eddie, in fact he is quite highly regarded in rotary circles, and usually has a few rebuilds to do at any one time. He set up my friends fuel/boost computers too, and its running like clockwork so far. Im sure he has a real name etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

The new rx8 is taxed as a 1.8 but is a 1.3, to answer the above question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Spike wrote:
    Dunno, just assuming. Plus they looked like they were bigger than 1.8.

But technically it does though doesn't it? I mean obviously weight etc. is a large factor, but at the end of the day - a 3l Supra is going to beat a 1.1l Uno.

But not a 1.8 Elise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Yea id love to get an old rotary Rx3 or an R100 i drove a few in new zealand all i can say is i love rotary engines and the reliability issues get the uprated apex engines seals and tips and they are grand cars oh and about working on them do it yourself they are the simplist engines ever i helped a mate rebuild a 13b and a old 11a i didnt expect it to be so easy.
    i prefer the old non turbo wankel engines myself when you port them they sound better than any engine ive ever heard totaly individual compared to any car in this country
    Pete
    oh just wondering has anybody seena ny of the old rx's in this country or is it even possible to get one here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Never seen any rotary mazdas here apart from the batmobile Rx7-8
    all the RX3's I ever saw were in NZ too! thats maybe why nobody replied to my post=RX3 unknown in Ireland and maybe Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I used to import the RX-7 amongst other high end Jap machines for a company i used to work for and i have seen nothing but trouble from them, even blew the engine in one myself, without trying too hard I may add. they are beautiful cars to drive, far superior to supras, gto's etc, but just not reliable enough, thankfully the majority went to the UK so only had to listen to the moaning over the phone, I see some of the above posts reckon replace the seals and your ok, believe this at your own peril. unless you have a serious softspot for these or 10's of thousands burning a hole in your pocket buy one, but then if money was no object id buy one maybe two, one in blue one in red and fishtail off into the sunset, one of the best drivers cars ever built (along with the 6r4 for pure smile on face value :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Kersh wrote:
    They are troublesome cars, and you really need another car, same goes for gto/300zx/skyline etc.

as a matter of interest, whats troublesome about these? I'd have expected them to be fine as long as you were doing low milage on open roads, i doubt they'd like sitting in traffic jams for long periods.

as a matter of interest, whats troublesome about these? I'd have expected them to be fine as long as you were doing low milage on open roads, i doubt they'd like sitting in traffic jams for long periods.

The nature of the rotary means it uses oil more than a conventional engine. Plus it needs more attention then other types. So if you neglect it, they give trouble. Also they tend to have lots of electrical gizmos which can go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Ricardo, i was quoting and referring to kershs comment on gto/300zx/skyline's. I agree about the RX7, beautiful to look at tho.

• Advertisement

Ricardo, i was quoting and referring to kershs comment on gto/300zx/skyline's. I agree about the RX7, beautiful to look at tho.

My bad...

I have a gto and a 300zx, and so far...gto gearbox went, that got fixed under warranty, and the waterpump failed, took the cambelt with it. The tps gave up, as did the idle stepper motor, so I had to replace those.
    On the 300zx the centre bearing on propshaft went, the exhaust fell asunder, and thats so far in the 6 months I have it.
    I am usually nosing around the UK forums for these big jap cars, and I am in the zx and gto clubs, and these cars are in general not cheap to run or service.
    In fact the most reliable car that I have is my 25 year old 911 sc. I put 9000 miles on it in 7 months, and not one thing went wrong. Now I only drive it during the summer months , when I usually have running repairs on the other 2.
    Afaik the supra is the really reliable one, again from reading up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Kersh wrote:
    Afaik the supra is the really reliable one, again from reading up on them.
    What do you expect? Have you ever heard of an unreliable Toyota?

As reflected in 2nd hand market price for them. A group of jap supercars topped by the Nsx...still 19000 stg for a 91...followed by the Supra, c. 7-9000 stg for a 93/94.

Advertisement