Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone/DSL Connections on a UK sourced Netgear DG834G??

Options
  • 10-03-2005 2:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

I'll be getting a new PC in a week or two and want to setup a wireless network with my current PC and share the UTV broadband connection. The Netgear DG834G 54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall seems to get great reviews. I would be connecting it via ethernet cable to the new pc and wirelessly via a Netgear WG311 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter to the current PC. I assume this router can share my connection (not 100% sure what a router actually does! :D )

Another thing I was worried about is the phone line connector on the Router. Wouldn't it be a UK phone socket (RJ45??) whereas the connection on my DSL splitter is an Irish (RJ11??)....or is it the other way around?? ie looking at pics of the back of the router there are 4 ethernet ports and a fifth socket for the DSL line input which is the same size and shape as the other ethernet ports ie RJ45??. Where would I get an adapter or would there be one included in the box with the router. Also does anyone who has this router know if it comes with a supplied ethernet cable or would I have to purchase one seperately.

A separate question is that my aunt wants me to recommend her a laptop and a wireless dialup solution. (she may get BB in the future) I assume that means a wireless router with 56k modem instead of a DSL modem inside or 2 wireless cards to connect the laptop to her old PC (Dell R450 PII) which is connected via 56k dialup atm. Which would you recommend?

Thanks in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

actually a quick search (something I should have done before posting!) seems to reveal that Its RJ11 which is the Irish standard so in effect it seems its the Brits that would be the ones needing the adapter??

Advertisement