Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rail services cancelled due to unofficial strike in Cork

• 10-03-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I regularly get the train from Dublin to Cork. It’s always cold always delayed and way overpriced and then we have to put up with this.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/03/10/story192975.html

I just get the impression its run by Jokers.

I have no idea why other countries can get this right but we can't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

dent wrote:
    I regularly get the train from Dublin to Cork. It’s always cold always delayed and way overpriced and then we have to put up with this.

ever get a train in france? Theres strikes like this every other week there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dent wrote:

You don't have to put up with it. You can take a coach. Strikes are really annoying to the travelling public but they are a part of every democracy and I'm glad we have the right to withhold labour in this country, however unnoficial non-union sanctioned action severely damages their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

murphaph wrote:
    You don't have to put up with it. You can take a coach. Strikes are really annoying to the travelling public but they are a part of every democracy and I'm glad we have the right to withhold labour in this country, however unnoficial non-union sanctioned action severely damages their cause.

Might sound lame but I don't travel well in coach's. I'm all for Unions but it seems Unions do nothing but hinder our public transport systems.

The DART suffers from the same symptoms. Just seems like no one is held accountable and when they arel Union or no they cause trouble.

L5 wrote:
    ever get a train in france? Theres strikes like this every other week there

Yes I have. Got one from Paris to Amsterdam and it left and arrived on time. I also travelled by train in the US, Canada, Australia, Austria and Germany and I had a better travelling experience in all these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well you'll be glad to know there getting a brand new fleet of traisn for the Dublin - Cork route soon, and I would assume they'll be quite temperate.

As for the price issue, I think anyone in Ireland who complains about it is insane. The prices in the UK for equivelant journeys can be ridiculous!

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    Well you'll be glad to know there getting a brand new fleet of traisn for the Dublin - Cork route soon, and I would assume they'll be quite temperate.

As for the price issue, I think anyone in Ireland who complains about it is insane. The prices in the UK for equivelant journeys can be ridiculous!

I know it’s hard to believe but the trains are really cold in winter. I don't think its too much to ask to have warm trains when you are paying 56.50 for a return ticket.

I'm not interested in how much people in the UK have to pay. I'm interested in getting value for money in this country.

For your money you cannot even book your seat or even be guaranteed one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dent wrote:
    Might sound lame but I don't travel well in coach's. I'm all for Unions but it seems Unions do nothing but hinder our public transport systems.
    Not lame at all. I'll pick a train over a coach anyday. The action was not sanctioned by the union as far as I can ascertain so it was wrong to stop work. The problem is that if CIE attempted to sack people who ceased work in an unnoficial action then there would be a real strike. It's a tough balance. I have no union protection in my job and sometimes I wish we had. It's sickening that because of the particular area (transportation), some workers know they can hold the public to ransom for the slightest thing.

murphaph wrote:
    It's sickening that because of the particular area (transportation), some workers know they can hold the public to ransom for the slightest thing.

I agree and as a result it seems management are in very tight bind when it comes to improving things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Metrobest

Ireland's railways suffer from decades of indecision and bad management. The management style is a million miles away from Micheal O'Leary's can-do mentality. Some people would say that's a good thing, but look which company is losing money hand over fist, and which one is one of the most successful transportation companys in the world.

The management vacuum has allowed the unions seize control and exert an odious level of influence which serves only to harm the travelling public.

My experience of Irish Rail staff is of a lazy mentality, a do-nothing culture and an anti-change ideology. Any issue, for example changing drivers' coffee break times, is met with stern opposition. In most other countries such pernicious whingeing would be stamped upon, but here in Ireland the SIPTU-style poison is allowed fester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I know it’s hard to believe but the trains are really cold in winter. I don't think its too much to ask to have warm trains when you are paying 56.50 for a return ticket.

Did I say I didn't believe you? Some trains I've been on have no decent heating at all, some have been suffocatingly warm, but for the most part I've found them ok.
    I'm not interested in how much people in the UK have to pay. I'm interested in getting value for money in this country.

Well, for the money we're paying for our fares, I'd say we're getting pretty much what we paid for. We could have higher fares and see how they improve the services, but I'm not convinced all that much difference would be made. The investment that is being made in IE will bring about some tangiable differences in the future, and we'll be getting a lot more than we're actually paying for.

For your money you cannot even book your seat or even be guaranteed one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

Arent they getting new trains at the end of the year ? Still I expect another €20 on the price of a ticket if you see any new carriages pulling in. IOffical fines are ok, but m totally against any unofficatal strike action and the union should be fined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭iceman_2001_ie

Re: New Trains

Yeah, new trains, hopefully within the next 18 months, more realistically.

Re: Irish Rail compared to European Rail/other countries.

Granted, there are more extensive networks and more comfortable trains in the rest of Europe, but the reality is, they are generally more expensive for long distance journeys. Commuter trains are cheaper on the continent, but I believe that has more to do with commuter trains (and their profits) bolstering the "main line" trains in Ireland.

Advertisement