Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005, any good???

Options
  • 10-03-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

just wondering is Windows XP Media Centre Edition 2005 any good to use I want to have a pc used as a tv and music player and for games and net access. But i want to run tools like ati tool etc, overclocking tools etc. Has anyone here used media centre edition? Is it any good??? do normal xp drivers work with it??

Is it worth installing it and using it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Hi,

There's a bit of info about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208020. It's definately something id like to do. All the reviews I have seen have been positive although Microsoft don't have Ireland down as an official Media Centre country so the EPG can be tricky to setup.

I'd say go for it. As far as I know Media Centre is just an add on built on top of WinXP Pro so all your programs and drivers should work. The only things is that its picky about the TV Tuner you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Hi,

There's a bit of info about it here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=208020. It's definately something id like to do. All the reviews I have seen have been positive although Microsoft don't have Ireland down as an official Media Centre country so the EPG can be tricky to setup.

I'd say go for it. As far as I know Media Centre is just an add on built on top of WinXP Pro so all your programs and drivers should work. The only things is that its picky about the TV Tuner you use.

i am using a Leadtek Winfast TV200 Deluxe , so i wonder if thats ok, ahwell il probably try it and see, thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Go to the microsoft website n check it out, they've a list of all the compatible hardware on it, im gonna be using it on my next pc...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭spaczed

Here is the link to the Microsoft's compatability listing.

Designed For Windows XP MCE 2005

I'm not sure if the list is exhaustive, but if your TV card is there, happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

seems like a VERY short list there MUST be more compat. H/W.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

ah it says

Designed for Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Logo Partner List

but if its not there then it doesnt mean its not compatible, im gonna try using my 9600XT with it, its based on XP so im sure it will be fine with MCE2005

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Microsoft don't have Ireland down as an official Media Centre country so the EPG can be tricky to setup
    Ireland has been added to the supported country list for XP MC, should be available before the end of the year. Story here.

Advertisement