Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CSS Multi-coloured Menu tabs

Options
  • 10-03-2005 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anyone know how to do multicoloured menu tabs in CSS without using image files. Any examples I have seen are all the one colour .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

The style is probably applied to the tabs with a .class, so just copy the class to several #ids and edit them to change colour.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

milagro wrote:
    Anyone know how to do multicoloured menu tabs in CSS without using image files. Any examples I have seen are all the one colour .

Not entirely sure what you mean. There's a couple of possible ways of diong this. If you want curved tab edges and want to use MOZ only CSS I think there's a way of formatting edges to give curves...there are for forms anyway.

otherwise I'd just create a couple of transparent gifs with the curved edges of the tab (left and right) and then just set the colour/border by CSS. A hover pseudo class would work with this method.

Is this what you're talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 milagro

I want to create tabs across the top of a web page but I want each tab to be a different colour. I've seen lots of code examples for creating the tabs but none with each tab being a different colour. I was just wondering if it was possible to do this without having to load an image for each tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭chabsey

milagro wrote:
    I want to create tabs across the top of a web page but I want each tab to be a different colour. I've seen lots of code examples for creating the tabs but none with each tab being a different colour. I was just wondering if it was possible to do this without having to load an image for each tab.

off the top of my head, a possible (but messy) way of doing this is to assign individual classes to each tab of your tabbed nav. So say you're using an unordered list to create the horizontal nav, then you'd do something like this:

<div id="navigation">
    <ul>
    <li class="green"><a href="index.htm">Home</a></li>
    <li class="red"><a href="aboutus.htm">About Us</a></li>
    </ul>
    </div>

And then define the different colours in the CSS style sheet, something like this:

.green {
    background-color: green;
    }
    .red {
    background-color: red;
    }

etc. It's messy cause you're increasing the size of your CSS file for the sake of the multicoloured tabs, but if you have a single hover colour for all tabs you could cut down on the excess CSS size. Like I say, this is only one way of doing it, I'm sure there's an easier way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 milagro

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement