Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viewtiful Joe????

Options
  • 10-03-2005 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here find it to be pretty crap?
    It might be just me but I brought it back to trade in after a few days as it just didn't cut the mustard.
    Anyone think I'm mad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its crap if you're a button basher. If you master the nuances of the combo system, its very satisfying and addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Great game I thought. You're obviously mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I didn't find it crap, but I didn't think it was worth all the hype, for me it was pointlessly hard when it wasn't pointlessly easy. It was nice to see a side scrolling beat em up, the moves and style were rather excellent too. No bad by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I didn't find it crap, but I didn't think it was worth all the hype, for me it was pointlessly hard when it wasn't pointlessly easy.

ok this is more along the lines of what I thought, it just got stupidly hard in the first and second levels and was not good enough to warrant playing on as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Anyone else here find it to be pretty crap?
    It might be just me but I brought it back to trade in after a few days as it just didn't cut the mustard.
    Anyone think I'm mad?

Go buy enter the matrix.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

But its good because it is a hard game, all reviews pointed that out so if you suck or cheat its not for you like yorkies are not for girls.

kdjac

I cleared it on adult mode, but I found there were too many points where I ran through 20 minutes of bog standard bad guys, then died against a rock hard boss and had to fight the whole way through the level again. And that's the only problem I had with the game, I don't like to backtrack so much-it was worse than even resident evil or pn03. I have a feeling they'll have better balance in the second game though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought Viewtiful Joe was excellent. Very refreshing to play a game that was as difficult as the best the SNES and Megadrive could offer. The range of moves and combos and the surrealness of it all made it a fantastic playing experience that never gets old. If you don't like it you are either a moany git that likes to be held by the hand through their games while looking inth direction of enemies is enough to kill them or else there is something very wrong with you. Also I started the game and finished it on Adults. It was tough but definitely not impossible. I really can't see how people are having trouble with the game on kids mode. The amount of health you have is ridiculous compared to adults. I have no pity for you kids mode whingers and Viewtiful Joe haters. Henshin a-go-go baby!

Edit: I tried to like PN03 but its just a load of arse. I can't believe capcom let it out of QA. The extra missions with the same repeating sections were designed to drain all the fun from the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

VJ is from that oldest of schools, if you played games pre-PS1, you were way more prepared for the combo's etc.

Most modern games simply require you to point the camera at a target and press fire, or explore...[except VF4 and ProEvo;)] so I can see where some people found it difficult. But they're still moaners

hmmm obviously touched a nerve with the fanboys.

Well I still think it was bad, I have been around video games since their inception more or less and think I can judge a good game, this wasn't one of them, if you want to talk hard platformers then manic miner springs to mind, no whinging or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Except manic miner plays like a turd now. If you had a nintendo or Sega console during the 8 and 16 bit periods you will appreciate VJ. The old school games don't sell well since they take a long time to get into and a few plays before it clicks and this doesn't suit Joe Bloggs with Goldeneye RA and NFSU. When my brother sees me play Gradius V he tells me its rubbish because it isn't realistic and too hard. However I'm not the one smashing the controller off the ground because of a Gran Turismo license test.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    hmmm obviously touched a nerve with the fanboys.

Well I still think it was bad, I have been around video games since their inception more or less and think I can judge a good game, this wasn't one of them, if you want to talk hard platformers then manic miner springs to mind, no whinging or anything.
    Sometimes people tend to forget that you're entitled to your own opinion. I can see where you're coming from when you say you don't like the game, it tried my patience and I've played through some terrible games. And to be honest it's not a patch on gunstar heroes, dynamite heddy or a fair few of the old school side scrollers-even though they were hard as hell, they were genuinely entertaining throughout.

I just remembered the bit where you're flying in VJ, it was a lovely reminder of the dynamite heddy level with all the different aircraft heads available....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yup u are mad to think VJ is crap.
    but in todays world of shallow gamers and yearly updates you can expect people not to accept an original good game which makes nice use of clever features (slow down, zoom, etc...)

If you want to buy a bad game, get Prince of Persia: Warrior Within, this is a perfect example of how to ruin a perfectly good game, and is a perfect example of how shallow games have become

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Loobz

VJ 2 is brilliant. Very original. Great combo system. A bit cheesy but gameplay more than makes up for that.

Jazzy wrote:
    yup u are mad to think VJ is crap.
    but in todays world of shallow gamers and yearly updates you can expect people not to accept an original good game which makes nice use of clever features (slow down, zoom, etc...)

err it's a 2d platformer, more or less where video games started, blagger, manic miner etc, what exactly is original about it, slo-mo etc.......not really

<edit> underlining in the quote was my emphasis not that of Jazzy.

Kung fu master was a better sidescolling beat em up

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Except manic miner plays like a turd now. If you had a nintendo or Sega console during the 8 and 16 bit periods you will appreciate VJ. The old school games don't sell well since they take a long time to get into and a few plays before it clicks and this doesn't suit Joe Bloggs with Goldeneye RA and NFSU. When my brother sees me play Gradius V he tells me its rubbish because it isn't realistic and too hard. However I'm not the one smashing the controller off the ground because of a Gran Turismo license test.

Manic Miner in its day possibly.
    I had a sega back then and it still sucks.
    Gradius V looks like a salamander or nemesis clone, used to be my type of game when they were about.
    Personally I do think it goes back to old school of not forgiving but its gameplay is not worth the effort. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Dude, you are a poo head!
    VJ was brilliant...visually, control-wise and as a complete experience.

Sad to say but it was original because it was so different than todays shallow games i.e. being based on games of old in the 2-d realm that no-one publishes any more even though they are so much fun...

Why do you think the handheld market is so lucrative?
    Because fun is fun and it just so happens that handhelds have historically not been able to go 3-d and instead concentrated on 2-d...

Does anyone think that with the advent of DS/psp where more 3-d will prevail, there'll be a dearth of fun like when consoles started introducing 3-d?

FX-Racer anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes it was original,
    name a game released in the past 3-4 years which like it and actually any good.

Of course comparisons can be drawn to old sidescrollers (double dragon etc..) but VJ was a brilliant example of updating a forgotten variety of games for the modern market

Gradius V looks like a salamander or nemesis clone, used to be my type of game when they were about.

Gradius V is a sequel to Salamander and Nemesis. I think that sentence sums up your problem with VJ. I can see where you are coming from but pity you.

VJ definitely isn't original but it does remind us that despite not being popular anymore, it's a sin that they aren't popular anymore since VJ shows just how much fun a bastard hard old school 2D game can be.

Have a look at gamerankings or similar sites. There isn't a bad review there. It's a shame that capcom are the only company making old school and challenging games.

As for PoP:WW apart from the terrible soundtrack its a very good game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

yes youre mad. one of the best games of the current generation of consoles. rates in my top 7 id say! maybe higher

Advertisement