Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to buy a nitro RC

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

SLIM19198 wrote:
    The cheek of him ^^^
    I do all his friggin repairs, and he goes out and breaks it all again!!!... ;-)
    SLIM
    Ha Ha
    I had a time when I was building for another "driver" ..... I couldnt get them repaired fast enough ! :eek: After a while I just took a bit longer to get round to doing the repairs. I would say " aonther day and I'll get to it" .
    You know what? He started driving it a bit more carefully from then on. ;)

The arguement between the driver and the mechanic, is just like the fights between sales and accounts, workers and bosses, cats and dogs....
    part of life I guess .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Got the parts last Thursday. Fitted over the weekend and took the two cars out for a bash on Sunday morning. Managed to get through the day without a major crash so no new parts now needed.
    I did have a problem with the tyres rolling off on the CT4 but that nothing a little more super glue wont fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Are they a model shop who do traxxas, I need a suspention arm (5132) and the problem is the shop in waterford dont have it, the owner siad that theres a problem with traxxas in the uk they wont reply to any of his faxs and the phone is always engadged. Ive been waiting about 2 months still no sign of it. :(

You should try Antics at http://www.rccarsandtrucks.co.uk/ or
    Modelsport at http://www.modelsport.co.uk/
    Good luck and let us know how you get on?

Back to fixing my car again. I have damaged the CT4, one of the suspension arms has cracked where the shaft runs through it. Didnt know I had done it until I noticed that one of the rear wheels wasnt pointing in a straight line. Managed to get a full brand new rear off ebay for £14 so should have a few spare bits to keep me going.
    Quick question on the two speed. If you tighten the two clutch screws should this make the gear kick in at lower or higher revs? I am finding it hard to tell if the two speed is working or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

You should be able to tell if the second speed engagaes as you will actually hear it changing and see the speed jumping!

for more info try :
    http://www.cenracing.com/

or:
    http://www.cenracing.com/faq.html

DTS
    Screwing it in increases the speed it operates at....
    (but some are a real pain to get just right)
    It varies from car to car, no pattern, possibly some variation in the strength of the springs....
    How's the car going, that is a powerful engine, but that .16 sure runs hot, doesn't it? Is your CT eating glowplugs for breakfast? Or did U cut the nitro right down to 0 or 5%

I am running 10% with the carb set nice and rich, it still runns a little hot but its not that different to mt TSN4.
    I LOVE IT, its one fast car. The problem seems to be getting the traction to the wheels, as it shoots off the steering gets light as the wheels loose grip, thats when I am most likly to loose control. Also the carbon disk break strugles at high speed. I am still going to have to play with the two speed, the problem is if you get it all wrong it eats the smaller of the two spur gears.

I havent got the two speed setup yet but fitted the new rear end with a new diff and brek pads. I have set the two speed clutch so the second gear should just spin free then hopefully I can slowly adjust the two set screws untill it starts to change. Used the time to strip the car down and clean and lube everything. I have fitted metal wheels with new rubber so I will see what differance that makes to the handeling. Its looking good now just need to get out of work so I can go try it. :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Metal wheels?

where you get those and how much they cost?

I need a new set for my TR4!

SLIM

As always with me ebay for a tenner, they are second hand but hardly a mark on them.

Any one know where an unemployed person can get a Credit Card???? :-(

You can pay by check or postal order as well with most sellers.
    Is there anyone on the board who may know of cheep places to get bits and bobs like wheels and tyres in Ireland or northern ireland? We go up to the border shopping at least once a month. May be one of the shops has a bargin bucket, or that sort of thing?

dts wrote:
    ...Is there anyone on the board who may know of cheep places to get bits and bobs like wheels and tyres in Ireland or northern ireland? We go up to the border shopping at least once a month. ...
    How cheap is cheap ... a trip to the border from the midlands must cost €30-40 in petrol for the round trip. And you still haven't bought anything yet.
    That doesn't seem very cheap to me ... even if they gave me the wheels.

( :) Idea....Go to Tescos/best local supermarket, use the petrol money for the shopping, then take the rest of the day off and give your model car/truck/plane a workout! :D )
    OTOH
    Wheels (chrome or gold or white) are €25-27 for a set of four in Dublin, that's including pre-fitted tyres in slick, light tread, or medium tread. :D

Ahh but when we go up we go to NEXT/BnQ/early learning as well as food shopping. You cannot get everything you want down here and I hate the mark up that Tesco put on to everything down here compared to what you would pay in the UK. I was in Manchester to see my Mum and Dad and bobed into Tesco to get some booze. The woman on the checkout couldnt belive I was buying Guinness there to bring back to Ireland. Dont get me started on rip off Ireland. We thought the UK was a rip off untill moving over here.
    Back to the wheels so for E25 you can get a set of metal wheels with tyres? Which shop is that and can you drive in and park there? I hate driving into Dublin as you use more petrol sitting in traffic than you would going to the north. :confused:

• Advertisement

dts wrote:
    Ahh .....You cannot get everything you want down here and I hate the mark up that Tesco put on to everything down here compared to what you would pay in the UK.
    I believe that almost everything they sell is trucked in from the UK, then make customer pay for the trucking costs .... (it's tough on local producers, who might have superior produce)
    dts wrote:
    I was in Manchester ....The woman on the checkout couldnt belive I was buying Guinness there to bring back to Ireland.
    Gives new meaning to the phrase ... "It's a bit Irish" .. doesn't it? :p
    dts wrote:
    Dont get me started on rip off Ireland. We thought the UK was a rip off untill moving over here.
    But you moved from a major city to a town in country, all small items are dearer in the country because of extra freight/lower volumes, that's isn't anyones fault. It's the way things are.
    OTOH land and houses are so much cheaper where u are now, that's your payback, also less traffic/city hassle/clean air, etc. Win some - lose some. I'm in Dublin where the shopping (models and otherwise) costs less, but I have a hugely bigger loan for a house just to live here, compared with country folks. :mad: Sorry DTS I've not much sympathy for u there...we have different problems thats all ... u say "ripoff Ireland " but I could say mortgage, traffic, crime, litter in my garden, weirdos where my kids play, etc. IMHO it all proves "life sucks" ;) better to be positive like "What am I going to get for my next model?" :D
    The hobby shop I know most about is the place I work, Green Hobby, yes it's got parking outside ... free :D(directions/map)
    We try to charge fair prices (eg=lower than UK ... it's difficult... Irish VAT =5% extra over UK, so our margins are much smaller than UK), but we do it. The small country hobbyshops are dearer cos they can't survive on such low margins - esp on the fuel which has horrendous freight, so I sympathise with what u were saying as far as that goes.
    (Maybe u should complain to your local TD about our VAT being higher than rest of EU, (what happened to open market?) and complain less to your LHS who might actually be doing his best in difficult circumstances. )
    dts wrote:
    Back to the wheels so for E25 you can get a set of metal wheels with tyres? Which shop is that and can you drive in and park there? ...
    The "metal wheels" are not actually metal, that would be too heavy and thus ruin the steering, so they are actually the same kind of high impact lightweight plastic, but with "metal" coating.
    BTW have u ever seen the LHS in Longford? Not too far from u. Mainly planes I believe, but I assume other stuff too. I haven't been there yet, model flying club nearby too.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Cheers for the map, I will make the effort to come down for a look about if I can get out of work this weekend.
    You are right that the standard of living is better here than the UK and some costs do alter the balance. At the moment its a much safer place to bring up kids but you can see how the whole place is heading down the same rout as the uk did and over the next ten years it will become just as bad here as it is in the uk today.
    Anyway back on to cars. Got a new BMW shell for my TSN4 yesterday so I will be tring to break that on Sunday! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 matt350z

Any one intrested in a Hot Bodies Tornado, 2 speed. Its complete with 3 bodyshells, 3 extra sets of wheels (4 including the ones on it), Lots of spares, Radio gear/reciever, 2 different frequences, Very clean and well maintained, Hardly any usage maybe 2hours altoghter at most. All the tools you need for it, 2 Glow plugs, Manual, Emergency stop fitted to it recently - £20. Glue for fitting tires is included.

If any problems all HPI Racing parts fit perfectly but no problems with it, runs very well and smoothly.

Offers anyone???

Contact me at matt350z@hotmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

am i missing sumthing here but is that a hole load of stuff for €20???

I mean the Emergency stop was £20

Anyone intrested????

• Advertisement

ah ok.so how much for it then? ur suposed to put a guidline price arnt u? correct me if im wrong :rolleyes:

You are supposed to put it up in the for sale forum with a complete list of what you have and a guideline price, then link to it from here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

SLIM19198 wrote:
    You are supposed to put it up in the for sale forum with a complete list of what you have and a guideline price, then link to it from here!

Though I've never sat down and decided what should be the rules for this, I think that's the best method alright - using the proper forum without losing the target audience...

Where abouts can I place the car for sale then? I couldn't find somewhere for it to fit in.

I placed it here because of the title of the thread and thought it mite get more attention.

The guildline is £150 sterling o.n.o but there is about £400 spent altoghter so your getting a bargin.

But if intrested or looking pictures contact me at matt350z@hotmail.com

well it might go into Fs Generl or Fs Motors? and what do u think of €200? oh and welcome. do u live up the in the UK and thats y ur saying £150?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

FS General would be the ideal place for it..

yea thats i was looking 150 its about 215 euro.

Would you be intrested in it?

yeah and i p.m'ed you about it just there :)

its for sale under the FS General if anyone is intrested!

I take it you didnt get this car Flunked as you are now talking abot a Truck?

• Advertisement

Found this and feel it would be very helpfull to beginners like myself.
    http://www.rccartips.com/nitro_rc_cars_ebook.pdf
    See what you think?

Very interesting. It will surely be a help to many.

But I disagree with / would like to add to some of what he says...

Based on a first quick 1 minute scan :
    He cautions about the danger of fuel, but omits to mention that the benzine in it can also enter the body through the skin. This is a cancer causing chemical, so it is important to wash fuel off skin if it gets there. It is also a good idea to use a barrier cream if going out to a place outdoors where you can't wash your hands for a hour or two while using the model.

He suggests usung coloured fuel lines. But if you use any colour at all, other than clear, then you cannot see the fuel moving into the engine, while priming, before a startup. So it is easy to flood it, or miss a fuel line blockage with coloured fuel line, and clear fuel line makes these problems visible. Coloured fuel line is ok for the exhause pressure line, of course.

He refers to a slow jet changing the high speed characteristics of his model.
    However the slow jet has no effect when engine is over 25-30% throttle, (Called "transition" ) where the control is handed over to the main jet. What happened to him was most likely due to the tuning of his tuned pipe exhaust, being tuned for a rpm that his car exceeded when he got to full speed (measured in rpm, not mph). He would simply have moved out of the top end of the pipe power band, producing the symptoms he describes. To put it simply, his pipe was too long for the rpm he used.

But most of it seems OK.

Here is another link to troubleshooting information, mainly the engines settings...
    http://www.greenhobbymodel.com/carinfo.html
    It may also help solve difficulties.

nah i dropped out I'm thinking of the t-maxx now i just need the money!i have €250 and i am going to try get it possibly in a shop rather than online so how much should that be? do ye guys know

Cheers for that coolwings, the greenhobby engine setup is nice and easy to follow.

ahhh ballz! I read your post too late! the auction was over. ahh well thanks any way :)

If you keep looking they come up all the time. I think its a better option than getting one from the US. God luck and I will keep my eyes open for a bargin! :D

thx dts. but there is no need! my dad wont use ebay

• Advertisement

Why not, so long as they have a good feedback and you use paypal and get things sent registered post there should be no issues?
    I get stuff every week from ebay :D

I dunno whay really. it just him... Lucky you being able to gewt stuff when ever :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,613 ✭✭✭✭vectra

dts wrote:
    Why not, so long as they have a good feedback and you use paypal and get things sent registered post there should be no issues?
    I get stuff every week from ebay :D

I get stuff on a daily basis from ebay :D
    Best shop in the world ;)

You need to have a word with your dad and get him dragged into the wonderfull world of ebay. Before you know it he will be adicted and any savings he has will have been spent.
    I have the problem that I can look for things at work so always looking for a bargin! :D
    As for my cars. Got them out at the weekend and managed a good hour without damaging anything. For anyone out there who wants to get there first touring car I would have to recoment the TSN4 Thunder Tiger. I have bashed mine and ran it in dirt and stones and its still started after priming on the second pull after six weeks of no use. Its filthy at the mo so I will have to strip it soon and clean it up.
    Enjoy the bashing while the weather holds out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

I got my son a 2 speed RC car from these guys:

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/

It was a Cyclone Pro

Cost was £126.81 (£149.00 Inc. VAT)

Which beats anything we've seen over here for an entry-level car.

So far, it's been a lot of fun - and nothing has broken :-)

Now he's looking for somewhere to race it...

BTW, what's the story on St. Annes Park - can you just arrive and drive?

Thanks

Warren

I believe the nitrotek has alot off comparable parts to a HPI. Spares could be your biggest problem for this model.

• Advertisement

So my latest purchse looks like its going to be a CEN MT2. Any views on what we think to this truck? It looks like it comes with the radio gear already waterproofed. I thought with winter fast aproching a truck would be the ideal thing for bashing around in the mud and wet weather that we have to look foward too. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭flat6

dts wrote:
    I believe the nitrotek has alot off comparable parts to a HPI. Spares could be your biggest problem for this model.

Not so - I checked that first:

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/categories.php?cat=8

Warren

dts wrote:
    I believe the nitrotek has alot off comparable parts to a HPI.
    It may have many parts in common with HPI, but it is likely the engine is a "lower" specification than the branded one.
    I recently was able to compare a Carson car with the ebay-chinese version "same car" which is supposed to be the same. The ebay version has a iron (heavy) heatsink head, whereas the Carson has an alloy (light) heatsink head with a lot more cooling vanes. So the ebay cheapo one runs substantially hotter. One would assume more wear on engine parts if heat is greater, in the low cost ebay one.
    Another substantial difference is the inability to get pullstarts for the ebay version, whereas the Carson engine (which is a Force engine in that model) has all the parts available. So he bought a Carson pullstart. And as the owner tried to put the Carson spare pullstart on his chinese engine he discovered to his dismay that due to a modification the available parts will not fit his chinese/ebay one.
    Later he tried to get the spare part from his original parts source but was informed that the correct thing was to buy a new engine !
    I understand that the car will cost more than the branded Carson would have cost after this simple first hurdle is overcome, but surely more parts will break in the future too, needing replacement.
    flat6 wrote:
    Not so - I checked that first: Warren
    Are u sure u checked it? Do u know what to look for?
    It's not what is in the parts list that counts ... it's what is missing ....

For example - are u expected to buy a new engine every time u break a pullstart? No recoil starters in the list.

FYI
    replacement pullstarts cost approx Eur 30,
    replacement chinese cheapo engines (with no spare pullstart option) cost Eur 100,
    later u will pay Eur 130-180 for a real engine when u wake up finally and stop buying a new cheapo-chinese-no-parts-engine every time the pullstart or any other bit breaks.

Just one person's observation based on a 30 second scan :D
    Of course this observation might not apply to this particular cheapo car .......

OTOH
    Did I notice any replacement pistons or liners, conrods,or carb idle screws in that parts list?
    mmmmm .... can't say I remember seeing them either ;) I have to agree with DTS.
    dts wrote:
    ...Spares could be your biggest problem for this model.
    Betcha they say "parts is no problem ! " when u ask. :D

Advertisement