Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

So I ordered a v975 from the 3 website on Wednesday evening, and the order tracking said it was dispatched yesterday afternoon, but I'm still sitting here waiting on it to arrive today.

I've called 1800 330 333 and it disconnects me when I press '2' to go into 'Questions about a current order'.

I've emailed orders.ie@3mail.com and the address is bouncing, it comes back with "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed. threeorders@buy4now.ie"

So now I'm wondering, has anyone else not received their 3 phone within the expecting time frame or is it just me? The dodgy customer support doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Jonathan McCoy

Hi,

Moved over to 3 from Meteor last week. I ordered my Motorola v975 online for Eur 59 with a 12 month contract of Eur 45 for 400mins. I was happy to receive my phone within 2 days and I think it is a right nifty piece of kit.

Price Plan wise I think I have finally found what I am looking for and reckon I will save myself a considerable amount of money. I know there is the issue of being charged for things like voice mail but I dont perceive this as a problem for myself.

The video content is brilliant and of a high quality and the fact that the vast majority of it is free astounds me. The idea of being firewalled from content outside the 3 portal is a bit of a bummer but I must stress the word bit !

On Friday a cheerful customer service from Glasgow contacted me to see how I was finding the service and to explain in detail answers to any questions I had. After about 3 minutes he asked me to hang up so he could video call me back to show me this aspect of the service. I have to say the video calling is cool and the cheerful CS guy also gave me a look around the call centre.

I know a lot of people think that it is a bad offering but for me I think it is the perfect fit. Look forward to seeing were this company will take me next.

:) Visit Limerick, You Dont Know What A Laugh You Are Missing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

TCamen did you get your phone??? It must have slipped thru the net.

I agree with Jonathon my experience so far is very good and the customer care guys in Glasgow are really nice to deal with. I found out that after 3 months they will let you upgrade your handset too!!!! Great deal.....

Heya, I got my phone first thing this morning -- I really really like it! v975 is easily the best looking of the handsets they currently have on offer (my mum's had the 6681 for a while now so I had a good play around with that and I wasn't too impressed tbh, so 6680 wasn't really a consideration).

There's plenty of selection with the stuff on offer with the 3G service and the 3G reception is also grand where I am (Wicklow end of Bray)., The video clips etc all download very quickly, and for the amount of free content, there's lots to pass the time with! Email works well too, it's just a shame the setting to check email more directly on the handset through 'messages' without going onto the 3G site isn't active (that's what a pleasant Scottish guy told me earlier anyway!). He also couldn't find any indication that I'd be charged for emailing, can anyone confirm that, he didn't seem 100% sure about it.

Have to say, apart from the annoying delay and run around with delivery on Friday I wouldn't have a single complaint. I wish that if my phone wasn't supposed to be delivered on Friday that they'd just have told me outright rather than keep me waiting the whole day with the promise that it would arrive. *ho hum*

Ultimately, like Johnathan said, the price plans aren't going to suit everyone, but for me, the 300 text msgs suits me way better than my old contract on O2, so I'm happy on that score too. Plus, even though the handset wasn't free like in the UK, I'm still happy with what I paid for it!

Also, a final query that I wondered about -- I'm not sure if I want to definitely migrate my O2 number just yet (I like my 083 issued number). So *IF* I don't fill up the little form to take my number to 3 right away, and instead I call O2 and put that 086 number onto Speakeasy rather than the current contract, can I just keep the 086 number there as a pre-pay backup until such time I decide to change i.e is there a limit on porting numbers, like if I don't do it now then I can't do it in 4 months? As I say I'm not even sure I will port it over, but I wonder if the option vanishes if I take too long to decide?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

are there any talks about them making a deal with the other 3 so they can use the same prefix i really dont want to change my number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

1huge1 wrote:
    are there any talks about them making a deal with the other 3 so they can use the same prefix i really dont want to change my number
    they quoted oct i think at the launch its on the site somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

can you keep you number and just use the 083 prefix

not yet thats what i was refering to in the last post around abouts Oct you will be able to do this.

labelBuyDirect.gifUnfortunately, we cannot give you an exact date for the availability of this service, as we are completing certain tests with the other mobile operators. We are working very hard to complete this testing as soon as possible. Once this is completed, we will be able to transfer your current mobile number to us within a couple of hours. Until then we kindly ask for your patience.

In the meantime, if you would like to transfer your existing 087, 086 or 085 number to us, we recommend that you start the process by downloading the form below, completing it and sending it back to us as instructed. Until your existing number is transferred, you can continue to use your allocated 083 number.

Source:
    http://www.3ireland.ie/ireland/ihygiene/easytoswitch.omp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Yelpy

Hi ya I really wanna leave Vodafone and I hear good things about 3. But ironically enough there are 3 things stopping.

1. GPRS I really want GRPS, I have a smartphone myself SX1 and as the 6680 is basically the same OS I was gonna go for that but there's no real point if I cant use any of the apps u can get for it, namely MSN messenger.
    2. Webtexts, the 2 website has no webtext. I use the vodafone one alot when Im in work, saves me taking out my phone.
    3. Most importantly there's no ability to add a "friend for less". Myself & the girlfriend would move to 3 if there was a "friend for less" feature because as it is thats what saves me alooooooot of money on vodafone.

...anyway as I said these are things that would make alotta ppl change over to 3, especially the "friend for less" feature for couples. Just my thoughts! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Yelpy wrote:
    Hi ya I really wanna leave Vodafone and I hear good things about 3. But ironically enough there are 3 things stopping.

1. GPRS I really want GRPS, I have a smartphone myself SX1 and as the 6680 is basically the same OS I was gonna go for that but there's no real point if I cant use any of the apps u can get for it, namely MSN messenger.
    2. Webtexts, the 2 website has no webtext. I use the vodafone one alot when Im in work, saves me taking out my phone.
    3. Most importantly there's no ability to add a "friend for less". Myself & the girlfriend would move to 3 if there was a "friend for less" feature because as it is thats what saves me alooooooot of money on vodafone.

...anyway as I said these are things that would make alotta ppl change over to 3, especially the "friend for less" feature for couples. Just my thoughts! ;)
    those are some of my main reasons for not going to 3 they need to sort some things out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Unlikely to see any movement on the walled garden. Web Texts are a kinda unique Irish situation (most UK operators do not offer them). I wonder will 3 Ireland that is been run out of the UK listen the Irish users want this.
    Yelpy wrote:

Unless you are on the very high usage perfect fit packages from Vodafone then the sum of number of minutes on friends for less + anytime minutes is still likely to be less than the comparable 3 or Meteor package.

Ready to go has "friends for less", O2 also have "friends for less" as an addon on contract. this addon can be free if u want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Move to Vodafone and get one of the packages that offer unlimited minutes to your call a friend for free number...

When I moved over to 3, I didn't fill up the form to request porting over my O2 number (whenever they get around to being able to port that is) - instead I put my 086 onto speakeasy, so I can still log onto the O2 website and use their webtexts.

I know if you really want to keep yer number that's not much of a solution, but I was happy enough with my 083 number that I decided to keep it.
    Most importantly there's no ability to add a "friend for less". Myself & the girlfriend would move to 3 if there was a "friend for less" feature because as it is thats what saves me alooooooot of money on vodafone

Would you talk to her that much outside of normal calls that 200 (€25), 400 (€45), or 600 (€60) voice minutes on 3 wouldn't cover calling her and yer regular calls in a month?

I realise that each person wants something different from their call/text options, but the 3 contract I'm on now is cheaper for me than O2 was, and I have to say the service has been perfect so far - 3G reception is available anytime I want it and the walled garden is only slightly annoying now that I'm a bit bored of my wallpaper and the free wallpaper GPRS site I used to use is off limits. In saying that, using the USB connection (with the Motorola v975), it doesn't take long to put new custom pictures and ringtones onto the phone, so it really is a minor complaint.

TCamen wrote:
    Would you talk to her that much

LOL r u serious? this is a woman we're talking about here... "chick for less" would be a better name for the service! :D

LOL r u serious? this is a woman we're talking about here... "chick for less" would be a better name for the service!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Anyone know if Rtg will be released anytime soon on 3?Didnt really see anything on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Seriously thinking of joining 3, looks like I would save a good bit of money with their packages. Trying to decide which package to go for either the €25 one or the €45 one with 200 minutes and 200 text messages, but If I go for the €25 and send 200 messages it should only cost €43 on the bill and I dont know if I would send that many messages in a month I dont really send much messages.

I see you can upgrade your monthly package aswell at anytime but If you want to drop down to a cheaper package you have to be with them 6 months

The Motorola V975 looks like a nice phone aswell

The Motorola V975 looks like a nice phone aswell

It is a nice phone, and I'm happy enough with the battery life for a 3G phone too!

I'm on the €25 package with 300 text messages so I'll definitely be interested to see how much I saved on my O2 bill when it comes to the end of the month :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Hey
    Does anybody know if there will be any other phones added to the list soon, I though I saw add on bus shelters for the Samsung Z500? There are a huge list of phones available in the UK, do you think allot of them will be offered over here soon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

The Z500(V) is on Vodafone only at the moment.

They really have to beef up their range before christmas at the latest. They need a clamshell bluetooth device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I am switching to three asap. I have been an O2 prepay user for four years. I would not touch vodafone with a 50ft pole, they are even more expensive then O2, and that says a lot. Meteor was good, and they had good prices but there roaming setup was diabolical. The utter cheek of asking for an up front payment of 60Eur then finding out that I could not use it in the states. No thanks. If meteor was more like O2/Voda in that you just bring your phone on holidays and it "just works" then I would have switched.

I will switch to three after I come back from america. At the moment the only pre-pay operator that works in the US is O2.

As far as three's price plans are concerned they are CHEAPER then Meteor. Meteors 25Eur plan only gives you 60mins with all of your calls 15c thereafter whereas 3's equivilent plan gives you 200mins. I would never make more then 100mins of calls in a month so it would be a great saving for me. Voicemail is not much of a problem as it does not take long to check. Intl calls are not a problem as I rarely make them unless I am roaming. The only hitch is the 30c 3 -other networks charge. Other then that I am sold.

The only thing left to decide is which phone. I am deciding between the E1000 and the 6680 as they are the only decent-looking handsets available (Clamshell phones look tacky and americian). So which is more "tweakable" the E1000, or the Symbian-based 6680?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ermm, with Meteor can't you roam with Cingular and T-Mobile in the USA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Vodafone does roam in US with Verizon

Got a phone call like others up thread today from a Scottish 3 customer care guy who wanted to see how things were going so far -- it's a nice idea at first, but then having to listen to and answer some annoying questions like "Have you pushed the triangle button on the phone. That's the button that looks like a triangle", "Have you set up your voicemail greeting. Do you know how".. :rolleyes:

I dunno, I mean it's good that they call and check up but I found it quite tiresome listening to the script he was reading for most of it, ya know? Even when I did respond, it was more for him to catch his breath inbetween paragraphs. I also declined the opportunity to look at him and the call centre on a videocall (my battery was low and I just wasn't pushed) -- I don't think he was too impressed hehe.

Anyway, I had 2 questions for him @ the end - I first asked him about upgrading, and he said that anyone who's joined in this initial period would be considered a 'founder customer' and as such, would be given preferential rates and offers when it comes to upgrading. Also, upgrading isn't possible until the 11th month of the 12 month contract. He said they're hoping to have a new batch of handsets soon, and certainly by the time all the new customers' 12 month contracts are winding down.

My other question was about checking my 3mail email on my handset (v975) directly through the Mail function on the phone, rather than going to the inbox through the 3G services (pushing the triangle and navigating to the mail icon). Anyway, the day I got my phone, I followed the instructions in the booklet exactly, but the Messages->Email Msgs->Connect to remote mailbox?->Yes... it always comes back as '0 New Messages' and when I click on Info, it says that I'm using incorrect UserID/password. Now, for the email settings the booklet says what to put in each bit. Your phone number is your UserID, and the password is your 4-digit Voicemail PIN -- both are definitely correct in the settings, but it just never worked.
    So I called 333 on the first day when it wouldn't work, and a Scottish guy told me that while the booklet says I can check my email that way, it doesn't actually work. So I thought,that's annoying but at least it's not something I've done wrong. Today though, the guy who called to check up didn't know anything about it NOT working. He said I should call them back when I had time and they'd ring me on a landline and talk me through the setup.

What I'm wondering is if any other people who've signed up with 3 (with a v975) have experienced any problems with the above operation. I don't feel like calling them back and having to sit through a step-by-step if it really isn't working like the first guy told me a few weeks ago.

It's not a major problem, but after getting conflicting reports from the customer support people, I'm curious :confused:

I am so tempted to sign up now but number porting is the only think holding me back, hopefully there are a few new handsets out by the time porting is set up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Does anyone know when number porting will come on stream please?

I sent them an e-mail about porting and here is there reply.

Dear David,

Thank you for your enquiry, we are currently in negotiations with the other service providers in order to make this a reality for our customers. This should be in place shortly and we hope to welcome you as one of our customers.

When your number transfers over then it will be displayed on your bill.
    You can apply for a Three account now and then transfer your number at a later date but your existing service provider will probably require that you keep your account open until your number transfers across.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to call the number below.

Kind regards

SY160805
    3 Customer Services
    0833 333 333
    Welcome to our Network
    www.3ireland.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Boden

TCamen wrote:
    Checking my 3mail email on my handset (v975) directly through the Mail function on the phone, rather than going to the inbox through the 3G services

What I'm wondering is if any other people who've signed up with 3 (with a v975) have experienced any problems with the above operation.
    I have this setup & working fine but unfortunatly I've got a Nokia 6680.
    Your phone number is your UserID, and the password is your 4-digit Voicemail PIN
    Have you got your phone number entered as 35383whatever it is?
    I don't feel like calling them back
    Unless you get a nice Scottish girl that is!

I was in touch with 3 about :
    - Checking my emails from somewhere other than my handset (web or thru thunderbird or something).
    - Cost of sending/recieving emails

3's reply is below:

Thank you for your feedback via our website.

It is only possible to access your 3mail via your handset at present. Charges for email are listed below:

Send Email
    0-10kb 9c
    11-100kb 25c
    101-500kb 50c
    500kb+ 50c + 1c per additional 10kb

Receive Email Note: headers are free
    0-10kb 5c (Free until 31/12/05)
    11-100kb 25c (Free until 31/12/05)
    101-500kb 25c (Free until 31/12/05)
    500kb+ 25c (Free until 31/12/05)

I hope this information is of use to you.

Kind Regards,

Advertisement