Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

me thinks, once they are established they will start sending us to India aswell :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Hey, so today is my 4th week with 3 -- I'm just wondering about billing.

It says in the 'Your Bill Explained' that for this first month, the billing period might be longer than 4 weeks -- what's annoying me is that I have 19 inclusive texts left, and if they drag the bill out for another week then I'll have to start paying for texts outside my allowance cos there's no way 19 texts will do me for another week. I know this will only happen for this first month (I hope anyway!), but it's annoying.

Just wondering if anyone else that's signed up @ launch got their bill during the 4th or 5th week :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Roteiro7

just wondering has anyone used vodafone's 3G service and also 3's 3G service?

which is better? am a footie fan!

And is it worth it switchin over to 3???

any problems so far?

thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Why doesn't 3 show up when I do a search for networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

me thinks, once they are established they will start sending us to India aswell

It's quite possible, but it depends on how the volume of calls goes exactly. 3 UK's Customer Service calls get routed between Scotland and India, but for a start-up operation, they really only need one dedicated section - so Scotland (being quite close to us, and needing a bit less cultural training) is a fairly obvious choice.

If the volumes pick up, or the opening hours get expanded, they may well train some of their Indian outsource stuff up to take 3 Ireland calls.

• Advertisement

Why doesn't 3 show up when I do a search for networks
    Interesting question.
    Probably because you don't have a 3g phone?
    The search is frequency related.

Mine doesn't show vodafone,it shows 3 twice.
    In the about section the first 3 is 272-05 ie the three network and the second one is 272-01 ie vodafones 2.5 g service that I can roam on.

If theres one bar or more of "3" it will log onto that automatically.
    Otherwise it goes to vodafones 2.5g roaming which it calls 3 aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi guys another problem!!! I got my bill in and it has calls from Ireland to Europe at 75c per minute!!! Why the shock??? Well on 9th August I called up the 3 customer care centre to ask if the charges posted on the website were correct and I was told yes. The calls from Ireland to EU showed a rate of 20c per minute yes 20c per minute!!! I thought this was too good to be true so thats why I double checked. I went onto the website yesterday and saw its now been put at 75c a minute. I called 3 to say that I wanted to know when this was changed and why and also that I spoke to one of their collegues who's name I have thank god. The girl in 3 is to get back to me but I have told her Im not paying it.

Lucky I took a print off from the website to prove it!!!!

If their charges are 75c a minute they are way off the rails with their call costs and very un competitive.

I think it sucks though they should have emailed a newsletter advising all customers that there had been a mistake. I was making calls up to yesterday thinking how great it was at 20c a minute!!!!

Will keep you posted......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

escalate to their complaints section today and then to comreg 10 days later unless fully resolved . 3 were obliged to publish accurate pricing and did not.

Thanks good idea but I will give them chance to sort it first then go down that road. Cheers mate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you must give them 10 working days from official complaint , see complaints procedure on 3 website .

• Advertisement

Got a call from 3 yesterday and they admit the mistake and are going through my calls and adjusting them to 20c a minute. The guy said from now on though id pay 75c so I told him not to worry I wont be making any more at that rate!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SaltySeaDog

Word on the street is 3 are going to drop the walled garden for internet access...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/07/3_net_access/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Word on the street is 3 are going to drop the walled garden for internet access...

not here unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

"Details are still sketchy but it's understood that Mobile Web is to give punters access to a limited number of websites which have to be vetted by 3 beforehand."

Nope, walled garden approach still. They are just widening the wall a little bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Porting is now available for those interested in moving your existing number to 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

splendid news.. I may treat myself to a shiny new nokia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I was going to move as soon as porting became available but that 75c a minute lark is really putting me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

only of relevance if you make overseas calls really... Only thing that would put me off is the lack of free voicemail & webtexts

No numbers have ported yet (as in existing customers who requested it) and the website isn't updated yet. I don't think Porting will be available from a Retail point of view till Monday!

If there was Free Webtexts I'd be gone in a flash. Don't access Voicemail too often and I hardly ever use the browser. I do however send many texts from Vodafone's site and if extremely quick and of course free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 davidconf

Hi everyone! I live in Italy and I've got a 3 mobile phone. In Italy there's 3 since 2003 and at the beginning of 3's life phones were very expensive (400-500€) and also rates for videocall were not very cheap!!! The phones were very very big, like a remote control for TV and the network was bad!
    Since summer 2004, the prices became lower... Now you can buy a videophone paying 149 €, or sometimes 2 phones for 199 €; and these are the prices for prepaid service.

In November 2004, I and my sister bought an LG phone for 19 €, with a rate of 9c/min to call every mobile network and landline and 15c for text messages. it's a pay-monthly contract, with a monthly fee of 9 € that you don't pay if you receive 200 mins of calls in a month from non3 phones. There's a monthly tax of 5€, which is a government's tax. As regards videocalls, I pay 5c per min to call one 3number which I had chosen.
    Ah, and you have to keep the phone for 2 years, if you lose it, you must pay. And the telephone is not mine, but it's 3'!!!!

Now there's a special offer. You can give 3 an old gsm phone and buy a 3g phone paying 49 € and you will have a 10 € top up per month for 10 months. You'll pay this top up by credit card. It's a prepaid service and the phone is yours.
    So you spend 149 € in total, but 100 of them are for phoning.

Here in Italy Three is quickly spreading and the coverage is not bad... Obviously they don't cover all the country, but where there's not covergae you can roam with 2.5 G network.

In august I was in Ireland and I talked to an Irishman who has a 3 phone ( LG U8120, as me). he said coverage is bad and videocalls are too expensive, is it true???
    are there any similar offers in ireland?

Bye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well david ive never had any problems with coverage but it can be pricy but like italy i can see the price dropping fairly fast of course this wont happen overnight

Coverage is grand with 3 when roaming vodafones 2.5g.
    At least 3 did a proper roaming agreement where you can roam anywhere on vodafone.
    Unlike meteor who restricted roaming on o2 to certain areas only meaning some places have no coverage and others only 1 or 2 bars with lots of breaking up :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

LoBo wrote:
    "Details are still sketchy but it's understood that Mobile Web is to give punters access to a limited number of websites which have to be vetted by 3 beforehand."

Nope, walled garden approach still. They are just widening the wall a little bit.

As far as I know, they're operating a white list and this policy is in place now or has been in place for some time. I don't really know why they're doing this, but I suppose they may want to protect their own content against competition. It's a bummer because I personally rarely use the operator's portal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭setanta5

I have a question relating to the walled garden. If i want to use A 3g phone as a modem for my Ipaq or laptop, would i be able to access the web on these? This would allow me to use Skype online and make it much cheaper for international calls.

Anyone know if that would work?

Wonder if it will come here???

3, the UK's first video mobile network, today announced the launch of two new services to deliver a high quality mobile internet experience. From mid-September customers on 3 will be able to sign up to the two new services 'Mobile Web' and the 'Wireless Web'.

Mobile Web
    The 3 Mobile Web service will enable customers to visit hundreds of the internet's most popular sites direct from their video mobiles while ensuring a high quality viewing experience. For a flat rate of just £2.50 per month, customers with a contract on 3 will be able to download up to 5 MegaBytes of content, or an average of 500 pages each month from the 'Mobile Web', depending on the richness of the page.

The 'Mobile Web' significantly extends 3's service for customers, by offering them access to websites that are optimised for viewing on compatible video mobiles. This means the customer can be sure that both front pages and sub-pages are viewable, that the speed of download is high and that all the site's key activities are available.

3 expects the number of sites accessible through the 'Mobile Web' to grow quickly as more sites are optimised and has invited customers to nominate sites they would like to access from their mobiles.

Gareth Jones, COO of 3, said: "We are about offering the best of the web on mobile and ensuring the customer experience. Currently only a fraction of the internet works well on mobile - but the good news is that many of the UK's most popular sites, including the BBC, eBay and Amazon have now been optimised. We are committed to extending the choice of high-quality video mobile services - this service means the best of internet is now available to our customers over their mobiles.

He added: "This is a two-way street, we have over three million customers and we want our customers' help - we're asking them to nominate what sites they want and we'll check whether they make sense on mobile. We expect to add hundreds more over the coming months."

3 will continue to offer services directly through its 'Today on 3' entertainment channel, as well as via a range of sites managed by partners such as lastminute.com and FHM - which offer a bespoke mobile experience. All 3 customers also have a unique 3 email address and access to off-portal content via video shortcodes.

Wireless Web
    'Wireless Web' will be available on 3 from mid-September to provide open internet access for customers with laptops, using their 3 handset as a modem.

For customers with a contract on 3, the Wireless Web provides internet access at a flat rate of £45 per month, under this price plan customers will be able to download up to 512 MegaBytes of data.

Graeme Oxby, Marketing Director of 3 UK said: "For the mobile worker, the Wireless Web offers an unbeatable service to all our customers who currently have a contract on 3. Like all 3's products and services, we've designed Wireless Web to be simple and easy to understand. It is simply priced, offering great value, simply packaged and as we have the best 3G coverage, we believe it is simply the best for service."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

great news people 3 have said today that they have made a aggreement with the other networks so that you can keep the same number
    dont believe me go to www.electricnews.ie

1huge1 wrote:
    great news people 3 have said today that they have made a aggreement with the other networks so that you can keep the same number
    dont believe me go to www.electricnews.ie
    Old News :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

LFCFan wrote:
    Old News :)

Is number porting in operation as of now!

litirspam wrote:
    Is number porting in operation as of now!
    yes. it was activated on Friday and has been available to customers from today. If you go to the website you'll see that it's available. Still no web texts though and they've told me they've no intention of offering it either so will be sticking with Vodafone for now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I'm on Meteor and use O2 webtext al the time.... Just lucky my friends have cop on i guess. So no webtext wouldnt hold me back

Advertisement