Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭litirspam

Is it true that you cannot change price plans or is that bullsh*t?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

maybe be true untill your year contract is up then you can change, other wise ppl would be signing up for the 60€ price plan for a cheaper phone then changing back down to 25€ a month later.

maybe be true untill your year contract is up then you can change, other wise ppl would be signing up for the 60€ price plan for a cheaper phone then changing back down to 25€ a month later.

Fair enough. How about changing upwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

humm dono

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

You can upgrade your price package at anytime but I think if you want to bring it down to a cheaper one you have to wait 6 months....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Can anyone tell me if 3 charge line rental? Can't seem to find that info so I'm guessing no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Their monthly price is Line Rental which includes minutes or texts depending on the tarrif you go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    Vodafone does roam in US with Verizon
    Not true, Vodafone uses a GSM network which is based on the TDMA air-interface protocol. Verizon (which is part owned by voda) uses CDMA for its air interface protocol, CDMA1, which is not compatable with GSM.

Vodafone has roaming agreements with Cingular and T-Mobile, so I was wrong about them not being able to roam over there.

I got my 6680, it is an absolutly brillient phone, well designed and streets ahead of all my previous handsets, the N3510, N3200, SE T630.
    The call quality is crystal clear, but on occasion the call can drop out or disconnect, but since it is a new network little problems are bound to creep up, especialy when waterford city only has one 3 site AFAIK.

The "planet 3" area is still a walled garden allowing access only to the portal and they have told me that they are going to give full access to the internet within the next few months, this of course is not much of a problem for me.

They are also expanding the "My 3" area to allow you to see your currant bill (how much you owe), remaining texts and minutes.

It would be interesting to see how it will turn out as the months go on, so far they are the cheapest of the networks in ireland, and it would be nice to see some virtual nets coming online as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

It would be interesting to see how it will turn out as the months go on, so far they are the cheapest of the networks in ireland, and it would be nice to see some virtual nets coming online as well.

They aren't cheaper than meteor are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SnotNosedGit

Have they sorted number porting yet?
    I'll change if they do it soon

Another question though.

Are Video Calls included in your monthly minutes?
    If so do they stop being in cluded according to this

'* Promotional offer until 31/12/05. Normal price 50c per minute.'

Does 1 minute voice call = 1 minute video call price.

€25 per month for 200 minutes = 12.5cents per minute to any network.
    Is this the best value around?

• Advertisement

€25 per month for 200 minutes = 12.5cents per minute to any network.
    Is this the best value around?
    Seems to be,depending on your usage. I have half my minutes left still.
    Three would want to update their coverage map with some more pink!

Theres full "3" coverage in Arklow, Youghal and iirc mideltown in Cork aswell.
    So the video services are available there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Have they sorted number porting yet?
    I'll change if they do it soon

Another question though.

Are Video Calls included in your monthly minutes?
    If so do they stop being in cluded according to this

'* Promotional offer until 31/12/05. Normal price 50c per minute.'

Does 1 minute voice call = 1 minute video call price.

porting is up as of 5 days ago. video calls are included for the mo. they're not in england. it'll probably go the same way here after christmas. which of course means that dec 31st is the last time a video call will ever be made in ireland. i don't bother with them now even though they're included.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Hi it is possible to make international video calls on 3 to any 3g network if both parties are in 3g coverage. I called from my 3 handset to my cousin in Greece who is on Vodafone couldnt believe the quality. It did cost me €3 per minute though....I think its only 1 Euro a minute on Vodafone....

Well I ported over on Wednesday from O2 and I have only just figured out that anyone ringing from Vodafone or a landline cant ring or text me, anyone on O2 can ring or text me no problem, I dont know about Meteor yet.

Just off the phone with 3 customer service and they are now looking into it.

Anyone else ported over to them yet? I have already been with 3 for a few weeks now and had no problems till now. I know they have only got porting up and running so obvisouly there would be a few teething problems.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

3 works out better value then all the other networks.
    On there cheapest tariff, it costs €25/month which gets you 200 minutes. Meteors cheapest is €20 and you only get 60 minutes.
    Meteors calls are cheaper though with all your calls only 15c/min.
    3's calls are 15c to landlines and 30c to mobiles.
    Meteor has free voicemail
    3 charges 15c/min and according to there customer care the do not plan to change that.

One weird thing about 3 (at least with the 6680) is the network list. (the one you get when you manualy search for a network).

On mine when I do a scan I get the following:
    (3G) O2 - IRL
    (3G) 3 (Actualy Vodafone)
    METEOR
    (3G) 272 05 (Actualy 3 IRELAND)

Maybe reflashing the phone will make the names go back to normal so that I will see 3 on my screen when I am using 3G and "Vodafone IE" when roaming.

Maybe reflashing the phone will make the names go back to normal so that I will see 3 on my screen when I am using 3G and "Vodafone IE" when roaming.
    On the motorola there is a 3g icon that only comes up when in the 3 service area.
    At all other times when roaming this says 2.5g

As regards the porting problem-I've yet to port,I only sent in the form the other day as I wanted to get every last cent out of meteor.
    Theres bound to be teething problems.The other mobile operators were slow to allow porting and had to get a push from comreg.
    You'd swear they didnt like the competition...

3 need to get the MMS croos network sorted out. Also SMS agreements with major UK operators like O2 and Vodafone are not up yet so you cant send texts to people on Vodafone or O2 in the UK and many other EU countries its a pain caus I text rather than call. Also look at roaming rates and call charges every week as they have drastically increased!!!! Im having intermitant problems with my Motrorola V975. It sometimes says unable to charge when I try to charge it and takes 5 or 6 attempts at unplugging and plugging it in again. Also screen goes blank when I open it and I have to open and close it 2 or 3 times to get display. I have called 3 and they are to call me back Monday. I have asked to upgrade to Nokia 6680 so they are to let me know.

Hi again. A few questions if anyone knows the answers.

1) I am on 087 now, if I port is there a time I should aim to do it. ie will vodafone charge me for a month even if I have changed over?

2)Thinking of going with the nokia 6680. Do you agree with my choice?

Do you have to give Vodafone a months notice in writing??? try and time it as near together as possible to avoid being charged also call 3 and see what they say. The Nokia 6680 is an excellent choice.....

litirspam wrote:
    Hi again. A few questions if anyone knows the answers.

1) I am on 087 now, if I port is there a time I should aim to do it. ie will vodafone charge me for a month even if I have changed over?

2)Thinking of going with the nokia 6680. Do you agree with my choice?

I rang Vodafone. I should wait until the day before my month changes over. I will however be charged a fee of €19 to keep my number. There seems to be no way around this.

• Advertisement

You cannot be charged to keep your number unless you are less than a year in contract or I am missing something.That charge would be for part of your bill.

You shouldnt be ringing vodafone anyway to ask them how to change network...

All you do is send the porting form(downloadable from their site or it will be in the package your phone is delivered in) from 3 into them by post and a copy of your voda bill and they will do the necessaries for you including cancelling your vodafone account.

If you have calls left in your package before porting-just ring as much as you can and use them up if you dont want to wait.

You should not have to give a months notice to vodafone unless you are still in contract ie less than 12 months on bill pay.
    I never had to do that when porting from them to meteor.
    Meteor did it for me.
    Thats the way its supposed to be, and afaik thats the way porting was set up.
    Otherwise you would have a hindrance to competition and an open door for your current provider to delay your move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Newshound

Thanks guys,
    Roaming, textingand receiving calls seem to have a few bugs with other networks.

I don't think 3 is ready for pirmtime yet from the posts above.
    I'll wait til after 31st December and see how they treat their customers after their initial offers end and also to see if the other networks come up with better offers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

You should not have to give a months notice to vodafone unless you are still in contract ie less than 12 months on bill pay.

Can you actually leave a contract before the end of the 12 months? I'm just wondering 'cos a friend of mine is on Vodafone but would consider changing to 3.

I got my first bill the other day from 3, and it was nearly €40 less than my average O2 bill, so I'm happy so far. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

you can leave contract.. but they'll obviously bill you till the end of it. If you leave VF, they charge €20 per month until the end of your term. Or at least they wanted to charge me €20 per month until December.

My port is sorted out now, 3 customer service rang me every day since I logged the problem. I find there customer servce great well so far......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

you can leave contract.. but they'll obviously bill you till the end of it. If you leave VF, they charge €20 per month until the end of your term. Or at least they wanted to charge me €20 per month until December.

Thanks for the info. :)

On an 3-related topic, yesterday and the day before, two friends of mine were being driven demented by constantly getting repeating texts from me, up to 20 each. Anyway I called 3 'cos I wanted to make sure my text allowance wasn't going down.
    The 3 customer service guy was really helpful and assured me that my text allowance wasn't affected, and they would certainly credit my account if somehow it was depleted. To be totally sure, he brought up my account and counted the texts I'd sent in the past few days to make sure it wasn't a crazy number.
    He also said that other people in Ireland had been reporting these multiple repeating texts going to other networks and said that it was the recipient network that wasn't sending a delivery report back to 3, and that the recipient network was to blame (in this case, both Vodafone and O2).
    It happened to me a few times when I was with O2, but never to the extent of 20+ repeat texts.

I got one of my friends to call O2, and of course they blamed 3 and said it was the sending network's fault when this happens. So, the blame game aside, does anyone know who's @ fault when this happens? Surely if it's the recipient network, Vodafone, Meteor and O2 couldn't do this on purpose to make 3 appear at fault?

TCamen wrote:
    Surely if it's the recipient network, Vodafone, Meteor and O2 couldn't do this on purpose to make 3 appear at fault?
    I wouldnt put it past them tbh seeing as they took their time allowing porting.

The excuse 3 offered seems plausible whereas O2's does not.
    Why would 3 send multiples of the same text-they've nothing to gain.

If the other networks dont send receipts then 3 will continue for the length of the message validity to try and get the message through.
    It will think the recipient phone is out of coverage or off and keep sending.

In other news-that 3 coverage map needs to be updated again.
    Theres crap or no 3 coverage in wicklow town despite the map saying otherwise.
    1 bar on the main st and gone if you go into a building.
    So only 2.5g roaming is usable there.
    Arklow on the other hand has a full 3 service including inside buildings.

Going to Carphone Warehouse shortly to join Three network. Don't know whether to go with 6680 or V975. There is a big price difference and only difference in function seems to be bluethooth. Am i missing anything? Please help.

You probably wont get a V975 in carfone warehouse.
    They dont seem to have them as of last week anyhow.I like mine a lot(the V975)

The 6680 is a better phone battery wise and screen wise-but its also a lot more expensive.

Why arent you buying online from three.ie anyhow? order monday morning and the phone is with you tuesday morning and works the minute you put in the sim.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Why arent you buying online from three.ie anyhow? order monday morning and the phone is with you tuesday morning and works the minute you put in the sim.

I wanted to have a look at both phones and also didn't want to wait. I still have not bought it at this stage but hope to go today or tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Also you then have to send away form to have your number changed and takes a few days.

Advertisement