Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

the 6280 should be launched any day now.

carphone warehouse told me mid to end february yesterday.

Once 3 launch there "isp" so you can use your phone as a 3G modem, then installing Opera on your phone will allow you to access the whole of the internet from your phone by entering the ISP settings.
    Whens that going to happen and whats the cost likely to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

nialldinho wrote:
    carphone warehouse told me mid to end february yesterday.

they don't actually tell the sales staff anything. the customer care bloke went off and asked the sales staff and then told me that it'd be out any day now. the fact that he had preliminary prices supports this too

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

they aren't. they're charging 39.99 for it including the credit. or 49.99 if you look further down the page. the one at the top is second hand

Yeah see that but for a cheap phone for a kid or someone not bothered its a great 3G phone for 9.99 for the handset and then you got the 30 call credit to use how you like. I used to have one and then gave it to a mate its not a bad phone, not fantastic but good for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Whens that going to happen and whats the cost likely to be?

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's on the cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Dellas wrote:
    I see that 3 UK are paying pay as you go customers for all calls received and all texts received!!! The credit you earn is redeemable for texts and minutes!!! Good idea but I wonder how they make it profitable!!!
    They are most likly exploiting the Termination charges that they levy onto other networks and landline operators for forwarding calls from their networks to 3 UK's mobile network. These charges are the single reason why it is so god-damn expensive to call mobiles.

I am eagerly waiting 3's launch of a) Proper Internet Access (no doubt at extra monthly cost, with so many Mbs included). b) Roaming with the rest of the british networks. c) A prepay service cheaper then Meteor, Voda and O2 so that I can convince my friends to switch and say good bye to being ripped off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Just so you all know 3 prepay has just gotten underway but dont expect anything to be on sale pre April (they think they will be ready by then but going by last time they were meant to be live by April last year not Aug). Phones availiable by same means as the current postpay methods minus some security checks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Just so you all know 3 prepay has just gotten underway but dont expect anything to be on sale pre April (they think they will be ready by then but going by last time they were meant to be live by April last year not Aug). Phones availiable by same means as the current postpay methods minus some security checks.
    good to know but im just after changing to 3 and im bill 11 months left
    but i think ill stick with bill for good so much better (up until this point ive always been with ready to go on vodafone so you know why id be happy with anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

i have had a 3 phone since august. im going to throw it in the bin.
    the signal is not good where i live.. they modify their phones to prefer a 3g signal over a 2.5g signal. you cannot manually select a 2.5g signal as the phone then auto reverts to 3g even if you select 2.5 g manually.

where i live i typically have 1 bar of 3g signal. which is a bit low, calls drop regualrly and calls break down, also people trying to call me sometimes go straight through to voicemail without the phone ringing. even though there is 100% 2.5 g signal where i live.

it works fine elsewhere,, but when something appears to good to be true it usually is ( ie €25 per mth for 200 mins). if i could make calls without them breaking down then itwould be good

EIN wrote:
    the signal is not good where i live.. they modify their phones to prefer a 3g signal over a 2.5g signal. you cannot manually select a 2.5g signal as the phone then auto reverts to 3g even if you select 2.5 g manually.

where i live i typically have 1 bar of 3g signal. which is a bit low, calls drop regualrly and calls break down, also people trying to call me sometimes go straight through to voicemail without the phone ringing. even though there is 100% 2.5 g signal where i live.

it works fine elsewhere,, but when something appears to good to be true it usually is ( ie €25 per mth for 200 mins). if i could make calls without them breaking down then itwould be good

Is there no way you can switch off auto network selection?? I know that on some phones you can. What phone do you have ????

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if my 3 handset which is locked will work on 3 Pay when it comes without unlocking it ??? I know tha on Vodafone as long as its a Vodafone Ireland chip it usually works .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

EIN wrote:

Have you tried phoning 3?

I would have thought that they'll have something that can help you as a fair few customers must be on the edge of their coverage and dropping onto Vodafone and back again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Does anyone know if my 3 handset which is locked will work on 3 Pay when it comes without unlocking it ??? I know tha on Vodafone as long as its a Vodafone Ireland chip it usually works .

I'd imagine it should be ok as it would be network locked rather than to a particular type of service.

Good news for music downloaders.

Customers of 3, Ireland's newest mobile network, can now download full music tracks and videos from top-selling artists -- including Madonna and The Corrs -- directly to their Three Ireland mobiles. The addition to Three's mobile music download offering is made possible through a partnership with Warner Music Ireland, announced on Tuesday. Warner Music Ireland is the third major record label to strike an audio and video downloads deal with Three, alongside Sony BMG Ireland and EMI Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

there is no way around this.. the phone is biased for 3g network. even if you select manually when it detects a 3g signal however weak it switches to it.
    nokia 6680.

i phoned three and they told me they can do nothing , and as it costs them for me to roam on vodafone network they dont want me to be using the vodafone network and told me that when i got the phone new that i had two weeks to return it for a refund..

i am not happy with the customer service, i got from three.

i have lodged a complaint with comreg. and will get rid of this phone asap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There is a hidden menu option in the nokia 6680 which locks the phone onto 3g signals if detectable no matter how weak the signal , you cannot change this.

The menu is hidden because 3 asked Nokia to hide it although a full unlock ( known as a factory reset) by a competent unlocker would give you access to it and other settings .

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MayoExplosion

Dellas wrote:
    Good news for music downloaders.

Customers of 3, Ireland's newest mobile network, can now download full music tracks and videos from top-selling artists -- including Madonna and The Corrs -- directly to their Three Ireland mobiles. The addition to Three's mobile music download offering is made possible through a partnership with Warner Music Ireland, announced on Tuesday. Warner Music Ireland is the third major record label to strike an audio and video downloads deal with Three, alongside Sony BMG Ireland and EMI Ireland.

Isn't that from ages ago? (Like 6/12/05?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

threepay hopefully out in two months. i have this on good authority :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I am getting a no access to network on my phone, but i have full signal and access to planet 3. anone know what the hell is going on - i cant call 3 as i cannot make calls and they're website is a heap of crap, cant even send email to them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Call_me_al wrote:
    I am getting a no access to network on my phone, but i have full signal and access to planet 3. anone know what the hell is going on - i cant call 3 as i cannot make calls and they're website is a heap of crap, cant even send email to them...

I'm the same. I guess their network blew up. Going to ring them now from a different mobile.

• Advertisement

nice one - let me know if you hear anything.

Ok, they have a problem with the 3G network at the moment, so you need to go in and manually select the non-3G three network. I have just done this on my SE k608i and it works fine.

how do you do it - i have same phone? thanks

menu -> settings -> connectivity -> mobile networks. Then choose select network. That will bring up a list of networks and you need to pick the non-3G three one which has what looks like a mast as the icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

threepay hopefully out in two months. i have this on good authority :)
    The current official date is 1.5 months but i've heard unconfirmed rumours that this date is already being pushed back. Two months even is far too optimistic for the amount that needs to be done and processes that need to be introduced. A more realistic date is late April to mid/late may.

i did that and i got the same message again, now it wont even find any networks - did a reset and i've still got nothing...

any suggestions?

selected it again, but now i have emergency calls only!! what a joke!

omg it keeps reverting to the 3G network. *pulls hair out*

i know how you feel, when 3 fcuk up, they really fcuk up!!

• Advertisement

ok I've lost all network coverage too now.

Advertisement