Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

did they say when they expected full resumption of services?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Just the usual asap stuff.

ba$tards. well no phone for the day - thats great...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

im in a 2.5g area and the network is working perfect except for planet 3 which i cant access at all
    keeps coming up 'you are now outside the video service area'
    but i usually get some stuff like the services menu and the main page
    hoping its 3 and not my phone because no one else seems to of complained about this
    and i know if i call 3 they will just tell me to go to carphone warehouse and buy a new one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Normal service seems to have been resumed.

• Advertisement

i'm still not getting anything?!?

anyone else back working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Strange, I have had no service problems today. I had no problems making/receiving calls or texts.

Come to think of it, I have never had any service or other issues when using my 3 phone, in fact, I am much happier with 3 then I was with O2.

The only fly-in-the-ointment is the 2.5G service provided by Voda. When I was in the country visiting my cousins, I was roaming on the Vodafone network. I was not able to make outgoing calls, but I was able to receive calls. I also had no problems sending or receiving texts. I have phoned 3 but they cannot do much until I am in a voda roaming area with access to another phone to call there customer care. Thatway they can diagnose my phones connection to the network to rule out any problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The only fly-in-the-ointment is the 2.5G service provided by Voda. When I was in the country visiting my cousins, I was roaming on the Vodafone network. I was not able to make outgoing calls, but I was able to receive calls.

Thats because 3 configure their phones to lock onto 3G signals if present.

If your country cousins happen to live in a Voda 3G area the phone locks onto the Voda 3g signal . However 3 To Roaming only works on Voda 2g :p

The Voda network can signal 'a 3g fault' on an incoming call that forces your phone onto 2g in order that it can ring and answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Mmmm, found out yesterday that as a Three customer I cannot send MMS messages to people outside of Ireland unless they are also on a Three network....
    Kind of defeats the whole purpose...

E.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote:
    I dont think that that is the problem unfortunatly. My phone (N6680) runs the "Generic European" firmware, V3.04.37, so that would eliminate any 3-specific behaviour of the phone itself. This also proves that the SIM card is responsible for my phone not displaying Operator logos for either 3 or Voda.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    If your country cousins happen to live in a Voda 3G area the phone locks onto the Voda 3g signal . However 3 To Roaming only works on Voda 2g :p
    I dont believe that this is true, most all 3G handsets have an indicator telling you when you are on a 3G network and when you are not. Nokias display a little 3G under the antenna bars. When I was on Voda at the time, it just had a normal Antenna symbol.

Also when I run a network scan, this is what I normaly get:
    [3G] O2 - IRL
    [3G] 3
    [3G] 3
           METEOR

One of the "3" networks is vodafone. The USIM overrides the names shown when doing a manual scan of networks. And I ran a network scan at my cousins, looking to see what network coverage was there. I only found the 3 2G networks and I manualy set it to Vodafone. I was still not able to make outgoing calls so I assume it is a glitch at vodas end.
    Sponge Bob wrote:
    The Voda network can signal 'a 3g fault' on an incoming call that forces your phone onto 2g in order that it can ring and answer.
    Really? Cool, I never knew that.

The only thing that bugs me with 3, is not the custom firmware (which is a lot better then Vodas), it is the SIM card. It overrides the network names that are displayed on screen and in the results of a manual scan. Vodafone IE and 3 IRL are both replaced with "3". IIRC Voda replaces "vodafone IE" with "Vodafone - Ireland" but at keast they call a spade a spade and dont try to pretend that another network is theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

mayhem# wrote:
    Mmmm, found out yesterday that as a Three customer I cannot send MMS messages to people outside of Ireland unless they are also on a Three network....
    Kind of defeats the whole purpose...

E.

I posted that ages ago and it still hasnt been sorted out by Three!! I doubt you ever will be able to send MMS to anyone outside of Ireland. Have you tried to send to an email address???? I havnt tried that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

i have heard back from three they can do nothing they say ( at the moment)to resolve the coverage issue i have. ( a new mast is scheduled to be built in aug)

to make matters worse they say even if i pay up to the end of my contract they cannot give me an unlock code and also they say that they cant tell me when they will be in a position to give me one.

what rubbish.

the simple technical solution to my problem would be to allow me roam on the 2.5g voda network. and the nokia 6680 is designed to do this with its network menus as designed by nokia... ie use gsm only, dual mode or 3g only

but three had this feature disabled...
    why have a roaming agreement with voda when customers cant use it!!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

EIN wrote:
    i have heard back from three they can do nothing they say ( at the moment)to resolve the coverage issue i have. ( a new mast is scheduled to be built in aug)

to make matters worse they say even if i pay up to the end of my contract they cannot give me an unlock code and also they say that they cant tell me when they will be in a position to give me one.

what rubbish.

the simple technical solution to my problem would be to allow me roam on the 2.5g voda network. and the nokia 6680 is designed to do this with its network menus as designed by nokia... ie use gsm only, dual mode or 3g only

but three had this feature disabled...
    why have a roaming agreement with voda when customers cant use it!!!!

:mad:

if you cancel your contract they'll give you an unlock code for €25. they told me they dont have codes for the 6680 but thats crap. at worst they'll have to send off to nokia for it.

3 has the 6680 set up for dual mode so it will roam on voda if it can't find 3 coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Since when did any operator either in Ireland or abroad offer MMS to international mobiles?

I think it's pretty impressive that you can MMS to other 3 networks as a 3 ireland customer.

Go into your friendly Nokia Service center. Ask them to upgrade the firmware to the latest version (4 something) of the GENERIC european firmware. That is what I had done, only at the time it was version 3.

I lost all 3-specific customisations. The "planet 3" bar, the 3 startup logo and the 3 theme. I also lost all the 3-specific restrictions so I can set my phone to 2.5G only if I wish, but I am fortunate in that I happen to have a full 3G signal where I live in waterford because 3, o2 and Voda all have a 3G mast on the Summerville Watertower which I have perfect line-of-sight to. Incidently this also means I can avail of *shudder* IBB or Digiweb Metro.

If the Nokia centre tells you that they can only apply the 3 firmware onto your phone, that is complete bull. You own the phone (almost) and can do what you want with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Slice wrote:
    Since when did any operator either in Ireland or abroad offer MMS to international mobiles?

O2 does, and so do most operators on the mainland...

E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Go into your friendly Nokia Service center. Ask them to upgrade the firmware to the latest version (4 something) of the GENERIC european firmware. That is what I had done, only at the time it was version 3.

I lost all 3-specific customisations. The "planet 3" bar, the 3 startup logo and the 3 theme. I also lost all the 3-specific restrictions so I can set my phone to 2.5G only if I wish, but I am fortunate in that I happen to have a full 3G signal where I live in waterford because 3, o2 and Voda all have a 3G mast on the Summerville Watertower which I have perfect line-of-sight to. Incidently this also means I can avail of *shudder* IBB or Digiweb Metro.

If the Nokia centre tells you that they can only apply the 3 firmware onto your phone, that is complete bull. You own the phone (almost) and can do what you want with it.
    well arnt we lucky
    and heres me waiting for any type of broadband to come to my area other than satellite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

Whats the 3g content on 3 like ? What is it like for accessing email?

Also what is it like for accessing wap sites outside of the three offering?

ublinia2 wrote:
    Whats the 3g content on 3 like ? What is it like for accessing email?

Also what is it like for accessing wap sites outside of the three offering?

there's news, movie clips and reviews, sport, comedy clips etc. you can't use wap yet, only the stuff they offer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

For e-mail you can only use 3mail.com, but you can simply forward your e-mail to your address....on the subject of 3mail anyone know to config profimail to work with 3? Damn thing keeps timing out when its checking for mail.
    #

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

It shouldn't do that. When I installed profimail and just used the settings from the 3mail setup, it worked fine. Never got time outs except when I was ina black spot or something. Closed and reopened the program and all was well.
    It has since crashed and burned on the phone (my fault, too much messin) so I can't check for you. However I know the menu system is a bit messy. Some options are not available if you are too deep in folders. Try checking/noting options at every screen?
    A great thing about profimail is it's ability to read html mail.....except that it can't pull html images etc from external servers due to the closed portal... I might reinstall it when I get home tonite and see if I can help.
    Q.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Can anyone tell me are 0818 numbers included in three min's and if not how much are they per min, three and comreg site seem abit lacking...I got to contact Samsung about something and I'd rather not if its like 1e per min./

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

35 cent a min according to my last 3 bill.Not included in 3's minutes.

hmm webbrowser acting up here :(
    posted this twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ublinia2

email on 3

I thought that you could set up a pop3 email account to be accessed as is on the manual for the Sony erricsion phone on the www.three.ie website.

I have an email address at eircom which i regularly use and I can access these emails via My mail on O2 wap.

Can i set up this pop3 via the phone and does anybody have any experience of it?

Regarding the 3G content - how quickly is the RTE and ITN news updated on the phone ? Do they offer sky news at all ?- Also will they be offering any GAA highlights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Cabaal wrote:
    Can anyone tell me are 0818 numbers included in three min's and if not how much are they per min, three and comreg site seem abit lacking...I got to contact Samsung about something and I'd rather not if its like 1e per min./

This gives you practically all their charges including 0818-numbers: http://www.three.ie/BlobServer.srv?blobdir=ROIImportantDoc&blobfile=ROI+FEB+06+price+guide+vII.pdf

It's 30c a minute apparently.

Sponge Bob wrote:

i have found a neat application nokia field test, this allows the user to manually override the network settings that three locked on the phone ( ie stick on dual mode)
    with nokia field test you can set your phone nokia 6680 to stay on gsm only , or 3g only or auto which means it will switch between both.

i had a problem with low 3g signal in my area, this little program has solved my problem allowing me to force my phone to stay on gsm mode, and thus avoid any calls being dropped due to low 3g signal strength.

this program is easily installed using pc suite..:) :)

EIN wrote:
    i have found a neat application nokia field test, this allows the user to manually override the network settings that three locked on the phone ( ie stick on dual mode)
    with nokia field test you can set your phone nokia 6680 to stay on gsm only , or 3g only or auto which means it will switch between both.

i had a problem with low 3g signal in my area, this little program has solved my problem allowing me to force my phone to stay on gsm mode, and thus avoid any calls being dropped due to low 3g signal strength.

this program is easily installed using pc suite..:) :)

i'm sure it'll makew little difference but that's a violation of your terms and contditions because it costs them to use the vodafone network

• Advertisement

i have tested this and my problem has been resolved by this neat little program. 3 have informed me that i have not broken my terms and conditions.

i have 100% 2.5g signal and no dropped calls . yipee..

Advertisement