Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Network In Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

EIN wrote:
    i have tested this and my problem has been resolved by this neat little program. 3 have informed me that i have not broken my terms and conditions.

i have 100% 2.5g signal and no dropped calls . yipee..

i was lied to yesterday then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

i was lied to yesterday then

I think your best bet is send them a e-mail asking them this so atleast you have everything in writing when they reply saying it does not break the T&C's of the contract....if they do :)

EIN wrote:
    i have tested this and my problem has been resolved by this neat little program. 3 have informed me that i have not broken my terms and conditions.

i have 100% 2.5g signal and no dropped calls . yipee..

where'd you get this application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

When are they getting that new nokia phone. I've called them every week since beginning Jan and they just say 'soon'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭opus

Seems that if you send an sms to someone who's roaming abroad from 3, they get it multiple times. I'm on O2 and a friend of mine sent me two sms' while I was on holidays, I got them both six times a day until I got back to Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Jam Man

That happens where a network doesn't have a roaming agreement with the foreign network.

The foreign network doesn't send anything back to acknowledge the text so the originating one keeps sending it.

JimmySmith wrote:
    When are they getting that new nokia phone. I've called them every week since beginning Jan and they just say 'soon'.

Saw a poster up in my local Carphone Warehouse with it on this morning.....

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Dellas

Anyone have any insider info on when and if this service is gonna be lauched???? Please post here.

Thanks

within the next two months is the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Jam Man wrote:
    Saw a poster up in my local Carphone Warehouse with it on this morning.....

Well if they have the poster up in Carphone Warehouse hopfully they'll have it in stock soon.
    But I too have been waiting to get a new phone as my phone died on me a month ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭opus

Jam Man wrote:
    That happens where a network doesn't have a roaming agreement with the foreign network.

The foreign network doesn't send anything back to acknowledge the text so the originating one keeps sending it.

Ah right, thanks for the explanation. Still annoying though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I dont think that is correct. If you are with 3, and you are roaming in Spain on Movistar (sic). If I, also on 3, sent you a text, then 3 would forward it, movistar would then forward it to you. Your phone would send an ACK back to the network, which would then send that back to 3.

It is a catch 22. In order to be on a network, to receive the multiple texts, under the claim that that network had no roaming agreement, you would need a roaming agreement in the first place. I think the multiple text problem is more of an issue with the foreign network failing to send ACKs back to 3, but it is nothing to do with a roaming problem. Otherwise all my friends in britain would be getting my messages hundreds of times.

the multiple text thing happened with o2 ireland so it has nothing to do with roaming.

I dont think that is correct. If you are with 3, and you are roaming in Spain on Movistar (sic). If I, also on 3, sent you a text, then 3 would forward it, movistar would then forward it to you. Your phone would send an ACK back to the network, which would then send that back to 3.

It is a catch 22. In order to be on a network, to receive the multiple texts, under the claim that that network had no roaming agreement, you would need a roaming agreement in the first place. I think the multiple text problem is more of an issue with the foreign network failing to send ACKs back to 3, but it is nothing to do with a roaming problem. Otherwise all my friends in britain would be getting my messages hundreds of times.

Agreed, if you were BOTH 3 customers and one was roaming abroad.

I sent a text to someone on a foreign network (their home network) and they got it loads of times. Phoned 3 and they said it's because there is no agreement with that network.....

I guess 'ACKs' are agreed when they sign up a roaming agreement then?

Great thanks for that not too long to wait then . Will I be able to buy just a SIM do you think ???

In that situation it would be different, but since you are both on your respective home networks then I would assume that, yes, "acks" are agreed with the two networks so that the foreign network knows to allow those texts and send the "ack" back to 3. But in my experience with texting foreign networks, the texts get sent into a bitbucket. The receiver never gets them because the receivers network just drops them.

only a 3g phone will work on the network so if they do just give sims out it'll have to be an unlocked vodafone phone. they probably will just sell sims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 costello2s

I see from the 3 website they have removed the Nokia 6680, which now leaves the customer with a very poor and crap range of handsets. 3 Motorolas which are bound to break within 2 weeks, an NEC which has very poor reviews and is now an old handset and 1 Sony/Eric. Well done 3 for further reducing your attractiveness as an alternative mobile provider....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oh really cool because i always thought 3 sim cards would only work on 3 phones

1huge1 wrote:
    oh really cool because i always thought 3 sim cards would only work on 3 phones
    nope as long as its 3g. and i once saw one working in a 6230 and was shocked. i think it had something to do with the fact that it was a t-mobile branded phone so it must have some different coding that lets it accept usims because t-mobile is 3g in england (i think)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

T-Mobile in the UK don't even have 3G network up and running yet!

If you seen a T-Mobile branded 6230 accepting a Threepay UK SIM then (apart from being unlocked) it must have been on 2G roaming on O2 UK (which it falls back to if a 3G signal cannot be found).

IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, 3 in the Republic falls back onto Vodafone Ireland if a 3 signal is unavailable?

In the UK, I don't think Threepay can be got SIM-only from official sources. You must purchase a phone to go on to the service. Things have got so desperate that they now plan to superglue the sim-cards into some upcoming Threepay phones!:eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

costello2s wrote:
    I see from the 3 website they have removed the Nokia 6680, which now leaves the customer with a very poor and crap range of handsets. 3 Motorolas which are bound to break within 2 weeks, an NEC which has very poor reviews and is now an old handset and 1 Sony/Eric. Well done 3 for further reducing your attractiveness as an alternative mobile provider....:confused:

hmm I see that, seems like a very bad move to have no Nokia phones
    If I was still with O2 and thinking of changing to Three now I wouldn't just because they have no Nokia phones......perhaps its a sign they'll bring out the Nokia N70 very soon???

I'm happy I got my Nokia 6680 before they removed it :v:

T-Mobile in the UK don't even have 3G network up and running yet!

If you seen a T-Mobile branded 6230 accepting a Threepay UK SIM then (apart from being unlocked) it must have been on 2G roaming on O2 UK (which it falls back to if a 3G signal cannot be found).

IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, 3 in the Republic falls back onto Vodafone Ireland if a 3 signal is unavailable?

In the UK, I don't think Threepay can be got SIM-only from official sources. You must purchase a phone to go on to the service. Things have got so desperate that they now plan to superglue the sim-cards into some upcoming Threepay phones!:eek:

the phone i saw was in ireland with a 3 ireland sim card in it. it was originally a t-mobile phone. immediately after seeing it i put my sim card in an irish 6230 and it didnt work. there's no technical reason why a 3g sim wont work in a 2g phone, its a lock put on it by 3.

3 ireland does fall back onto vodafone when there's no 3g coverage

3 makes you purchase a phone because if they don't you could put it in a 2g phone like that 6230. you'd be able to call and text but not use the 3g features. and 3 doesn't care about calls and text. they offer video downloads and video calling etc because thats where they make their money. that's why they sell phones cheap

and thats why you can drop your phone in the toilet and they'll deliver you a new one three hours later for €50.

Isn't the 6280 supposed to come out and replace it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Jam Man wrote:
    Isn't the 6280 supposed to come out and replace it though?

that's what i thought. maybe we'll see a release soon. cpw said it would be this week but i have learned not to trust them!

the phone i saw was in ireland with a 3 ireland sim card in it. it was originally a t-mobile phone. immediately after seeing it i put my sim card in an irish 6230 and it didnt work. there's no technical reason why a 3g sim wont work in a 2g phone, its a lock put on it by 3.
    Ah no, There is a technical reason. 3G phones use USIMs and 2G Phones use SIMS. The cards are the same but the software on them is different. Some USIMS are dual-mode (having both 2G and 3G "software") and will work in a 2G phone to access 2G services but 3's are not. They can only work in a 3G phone IIRC.
    3 makes you purchase a phone because if they don't you could put it in a 2g phone like that 6230. you'd be able to call and text but not use the 3g features. and 3 doesn't care about calls and text. they offer video downloads and video calling etc because thats where they make their money. that's why they sell phones cheap
    Again you are mistaken. 3 makes you purchase a phone in the same way that Vodafone, O2 and Meteor make you purchase one. The difference is that 3 dont do PAYG yet so you cant just buy a SIM pack like you can with the other networks. 3 makes there money the same way that the other networks do. 3 sell the phone to you at a loss and make you pay a monthly charge in order to make their money back, it is only after your contract is up that they make serious money from you because even though you have "paid off" the phone you still pay line rental at the same rate only this time they make a 100% profit on this.

What is starting to piss me off most with 3 is a) They still did not update there coverage map (is it really that hard?) and b) They still have not made any improvements to there roaming. I am still waiting for them to sign an agreement with Cingular (US), O2 or Voda (UK) and at least one decent op (perhaps Voda) in Japan. As I understand it, it takes time.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

nialldinho wrote:
    that's what i thought. maybe we'll see a release soon. cpw said it would be this week but i have learned not to trust them!

They told me the N70 would also be on sale with 3 this Friday

Ah no, There is a technical reason. 3G phones use USIMs and 2G Phones use SIMS. The cards are the same but the software on them is different. Some USIMS are dual-mode (having both 2G and 3G "software") and will work in a 2G phone to access 2G services but 3's are not. They can only work in a 3G phone IIRC.

except that i saw one working in a 6230. thats not 3g. 3 don't make their sim cards dual mode even though they can, in other words they lock them to 3g phones just like i said.
    Again you are mistaken. 3 makes you purchase a phone in the same way that Vodafone, O2 and Meteor make you purchase one. The difference is that 3 dont do PAYG yet so you cant just buy a SIM pack like you can with the other networks. 3 makes there money the same way that the other networks do. 3 sell the phone to you at a loss and make you pay a monthly charge in order to make their money back, it is only after your contract is up that they make serious money from you because even though you have "paid off" the phone you still pay line rental at the same rate only this time they make a 100% profit on this.

as northern correspondent said they don't do sim only in england and they do payg there. also, with o2 you can get a sim only contract so sim only isn't just a payg thing.

trust me on this, i sold 3 phones until about a week ago. they care about the 3g features, not so much the calls. to quote the rep from 3: "3 isn't about phones, its about content". the whole point of the company is that its 3g, offering 3g services for money. if they "make their money the same way the other networks do" there's not much point building only 3g masts. a gsm mast has a range around 40 miles but a 3g mast has a range of 3.7 miles. they build far more masts at a cost of roughly 500,000 each so people will download clips and make them money

• Advertisement

Just to set the record straight 3 in the UK do sell SIM only on Threepay its on their online store!!!! Cost 9.99 Pounds thats why Im hoping you can do the same here as I have a Nokia 6680 on Three which is locked and I want to go to Threepay

Advertisement